2018 Elk hunting trip(pre planning)

Remingtonman

Im planning to go out to colorado in 2018 to hunt elk in the white river national forest. What are the essential items needed from you experienced elk hunters on what to bring?.We are planning on setting up a base camp and then spot/stalk hunting out of camp each morning. As far as my rifle goes im looking at getting a savage light weight hunter in 30-06. Currently have a savage 111 30-06 but its heavier than what I want for hunting steep terrain.
Appreciate any info.

Last edited:
Hey buddy, Let me know how your planning goes. Buddy of mine is bugging chit out of me to tag along in Colorado this fall. I know zero about elk hunting, and have never seen an elk in my life. But it is a life long dream to hunt elk. They are doing public land self guided, and have been before. Havent made my mind up yet, as work is going to be busy this year. Hoping to nail down details shortly.

Rifle sounds solid; be able to shoot it out to 300 yards and know how to hold for steep up and down shots. Get and break in good boots, carry and use a good binocular, toasty thermal underwear, plenty of clothes to layer for best insulation and water resistance, a good comfortable backpack to load meat on. Elk are big, be ready to handle that.

Erik27Nov2016ElkPacking5-_zpscgwzqjtx.jpg

Bring lots of friends.
tongue_smilie.gif

I have seen some big surprises with first timers and big eyes.
Other than the standard camping and hunting stuff,
I look for cloth big game bags in the off season, and have a kill bag with rain gear bibs, 50 ft rope, 10x12 tarp, extra skinner knife, carpenter quick saw(will split bone),towel, hand cleaner.
This allows me to handle an elk alone while it warms my hands. By the time it is quartered it is getting cool.
A roll up game sled has been very helpful in a couple places.
Gps to mark kill or flag tape for unfamiliar areas.
Knowing the season and area change the rest of the list according.

I went on my 1st elk hunt last Fall, 2nd season, CO, public land. We hooked up with two guys who have been going for 18 years.

We ATV'd 5 miles in, then set up camp. ATV's were only allowed on access trail. It took a lot of camping gear, tent, cots, food, end even a woodstove.

The weather ended up kinda warm, averaging upper 60's for highs, into the 20's at night. We were at 8200' or so, no snow. Google earth and the net is good for scouting from home. I used my Browning 300WSM.

I shot a 5x5 bull 0930 on opening day at 30 yards. After that the day was over, we assembled to get him out. The other buddy 'newbie' shot a 4x4 the next afternoon, 100 yards with a 30-06. My scent pushed it towards him. We processed that bull then let him lay overnight, as it cooled off quickly. The 1st thing next morning we packed him out.

There is a free download of DIY elk hunting tips. I skimmed through an applied some of the advice.

Do I know much about elk hunting, NO. I have hunted deer for decades though, read some, and know how to work the wind, cover, and pressure from other hunters.

http://diyhunting.com/ebook/DIY_ELK_HUNTING_5.pdf

Probably the most important thing on a back country elk hunt is being in good shape. Being able to cover a lot of ground and move if the elk aren't in the country you are in is essential to success. Having a good back pack that is expandable to allow you to pack out your meat is a great Idea. Tenzing and Kuiu make great packs but are costly. Learn the gutless method of cleaning an animal and bone everything to limit the amount of weight you have to carry. The west can range from warm to snow and ice during the elk hunts so pack gear wisely. Cut weight on your gear everywhere you can. I have made trips for weeks just using a lightweight tarp for a shelter, but this is more minimal than a lot of people are comfortable doing. Light weight packable rain gear is a good idea. I carry two light weight knives, one a havalon with disposable blades and then a Rapala fillet knife for d-boneing. I never use a saw because doing it this way you are never cutting thru bone. On my trips to Colorado in the areas I have hunted water has been readily available so I just carry a water bottle that has an incorporated water filter. That or some water purification tablets will do. I carry game bags with me. I use Alaskan game bag and take 4 of them and use my vacuum packer to suck them down so they take up very little room. If you are camping at your vehicle and using it as a base camp have a good pack frame in camp to help with the meat loads. In my pack I also have a small flashlight, fire making equipment, lighter a few Vaseline soaked cotton balls for fire started if it is wet. and usually a magnesium fire started in case all else fails. If you don't have good packable rain gear carry two lawn and leaf sized trash bags. They can save your life if you have to spend the night out in cold wet conditions. I also carry about 50 ft. of para cord just in case. This with a couple of small rings can be used to move or turn a carcass or hang quarters if necessary. Flagging tape to help in marking a trail if you are blood trailing. A good GPS isn't essential but will give you peace of mind. I also carry an old fashioned compass. Nothing like getting in a blinding snow storm or thick fog and not being able to get your GPS to lock in a signal. I also carry some high energy protein bars just in case I spend a night out I wasn't planning on. When hunting in Colorado I also carry a few fishing hooks and some line as many of the high mountain streams have fish in them. There is nothing like a mid day trout for lunch. The most important thing to have with you is determination. I have been on a few easy elk hunts, but most of them have required covering lots of miles and more than a little luck to be successful. Of all the hunts I have ever been on, Elk hunting is my favorite. There is just something about the fall in the mountains chasing elk that feeds the soul.

drscott

Will do brian. Thanks for the info guys. im still doing my research and biggest thing for me is hitting the weight room and doing cardio/strength training. Need to start my old high school wrestling conditioning again.

One other thing with elk hunting. One may have to get a ways from the camp, truck, or trail, BEFORE you start hunting.

That could be in the dark on a trail or whatever. It doesn't mean you have to run to get there. I just don't think elk like putting up with hunters milling about their habitat, especially in free for all public land.

I saw a fair number of aged Elk hunters. Some even mentioned, 'that's to far to pack an elk out'. Well, we can deal with the long packout, if it happens, or we can hang around camp with empty packs. Cutting up an packing out is an adventure in itself.

Get all the cardio you can. I used to joke with my buddy that came out from Alabama to hunt with me to put a plastic bag over his head and run stairs. The change in elevation will have an effect on you. It also helps if you can come out a few days early and get used to the elevation.

drscott

have lots of layers, always change your socks after climbing up and sweating. air your feet when you can.

get to the point where you can do stair climbers for an hour, on 75% speed settings. If you are going to spend the time and money to do it, don't waste that sucking air and out of shape.

Even if you have to get the little stars and do steps up and down on the patio daily. You will never regret getting in shape for the hunt. Also if you do a stair climber, also go to local buidlings or parking structures and walk down stairs. (people seem to forget to get ready for that) collapsible walking sticks help a lot, and also double as shooting sticks with the use of the wrist straps.

I don't know about CO, but i would check to see if they prohibit calls, the E-caller sounds from Foxpro work like you can't imagine. For years, they have kept me from shooting more than 75yrds

I would also think through the recovery. Alaska game bags are the best (thicker and handle the weight of the elk better) you can then cut a pole and drape the meat over that and it helps with stability when walking with that extra weight.

I personally think that you would do well to carry a Swingblaze knife, with a filet boning knife, a sharpening stick for touch up. If you haven't done it before, i would watch the outdoor edge game processing video. He is a butcher and really goes start to finish from it's dead to wrapped for the freezer. This will come in handy when you are boning it out.

I would also bring two pulley's and some para-cord.. You don't need a gamble. Toss a rope into a tree at least 10 feet up. [most people don't do that and then have to readjust] attach the pully, and run the para cord through three or 4 loops. Elk can weight a lot and be sure you can lift worst case situation.

I personally cut the neck open free the windpipe, then use a folding drywall saw with a bone saw blade ($10 @ homedepot) to cut the sternum open, use the swingblaze to open the hide down the center from the vent to the jaw and then down the inside of all 4 legs. I then cut the vent loose around the vent.
Then i grab the wind pipe (good end) and use it as a handle and pull it loose cutting it loose as i go. I then get to the diaphragm cut it loose and past the gut sack. once you get here that cut loose vent will help.
I then start pulling it up into the tree, and that helps leave the guts behind and with the rope around one leg (at the tendon) make sure the leg that you are hooking the rope to is skinned back so that u don't have to re-adjust. I then cut the other rear leg loose as it gets to a working height. bag and skin as you raise it up. once the carcass is cleaned, cut that skeleton loose and your last leg is handing from the rope. bag and your done.

That filet knife will make getting the meat off the body easier.

1 rear leg in each of the 4 bags, two front legs in the 3rd, and all the body meat in the last.

There is a big difference camping at 10000 and 8000 ft. For me it is much easier to sleep at the lower elevation, and easier to rehydrate at night. Always carry water and drink often, dehydration increases the effects of High altitude. If you are are flat lander and are taking medication, tell your doctor about any high altitude trips. Your medication may need to be adjusted.

They're not kidding about the elevation. I was sent to a town high up in the Andes for work. First day there I was looking around the place and saw some steps going down the mountain side, figured why not. After maybe a thousand feet it ended. Started to head back up. After about two hundred feet I was ready to call in an air evac. Two make things worse about this time two local hottie's passed me doing stair runs. Think they passed me four times by the time I made it back up.

Take heed to the elevation issues as mentioned above. It will hit you on the second or third day pretty hard. Get there a few days ahead of the hunt dates and push the liquids cause that will get harder as you go. Camp below the 8000ft as mentioned too, I live at 5500 ft above sea level and still struggle camping at 9000 to 10,000 feet myself. And learn to shoot at least 400yds across canyons and consider a magnum rifle caliber instead of the 30-06. The 30-06 will work but a 7mm Rem Mag would be my choice. And hit the stair stepper hard if you don't have any elevation to hike in regularly.

30-06 is plenty powerful.
shooting at distance is fine, but most elk are killed at way less than that. Being in shape will be the best thing you can do. Colorado has lots of hunting pressure, try to use it to your advantage. Elk are big, but gutting and quartering is not difficult. If farther than a couple miles from the truck, I bone out all the meat. I use an internal frame pack, and have for over 20 years.

Back