First time stretching coyote

Iamjuggernaut

Hi guys I just stretched a coyote for the first time without out a lot of guidance or knowledge of what the heck I'm doing. I took it of the stretcher (wire, I know they are not the best but its what I have available) and there is this big dip right after the nose. If I rehydrate the area can I smooth that out and let it dry again or will I run the risk or hair slipping right there. How can I avoid this in the future? I'm guessing it wasn't tight enough on the stretcher

[img:center]http://[/img]

[img:center]http://[/img]

You need to flip to fur side out before skin wrinkles, or as soon as the surface of skin feels dry. Front legs are usually skinned only to the elbow, this makes reversing them easier. If the nose and the area behind it are dry you are good to go for shipping or tanning,fleshing and drying are not long term preservation. Flies are very attracted to fresh or dried skins.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootYou need to flip to fur side out before skin wrinkles, or as soon as the surface of skin feels dry. Front legs are usually skinned only to the elbow, this makes reversing them easier. If the nose and the area behind it are dry you are good to go for shipping or tanning,fleshing and drying are not long term preservation. Flies are very attracted to fresh or dried skins.
I was told that it should keep for a year or 2 though in good conditions. Is that correct

Once dried the only way to store them is in the freezer. Fur beetles will ruin them out side of the freezer.

As long as the legs are dried they do not need to be on the outside.
For the fur market cut them off at the elbow. I use a rubber band to pull them tight and cut off the excess once on the stretcher.

I have 2 put up beaver hanging in the garage, hoping the third is finished soon,so I can ship for tanning. By mid May here in MN. I will have to store in freezer to prevent bug problems. They were spring problem beaver, but could not just throw them away because of low market.

I have had the same problem a few times. When I started turning the flesh side in before the hide dried too much stopped the problem.

The nose issue is from not pulling the wet hide down far enough. when you first put it on the stretcher.

The best solution is to dunk the nose in water for 5 min. that should soften it up enough. Then put back on stretcher.

As for the legs.. I tip the stretchers to allow the legs to hang out and get air into the armpit. Then as soon as it's not tacky, flip it around and using a hanger with a small loop at the end helps pull them through.

But, as of reciently people sell the hides with the legs on the inside. (they don't pull them out. It looks nicer for grading the fur, def easy to brush and put up.

If you have to store it, you can roll it up or fold it over and put it in the freezer for storage until you are going to do what ever you are going to do with it.

(just realize that it's a magnet for any bug and small critter in the area. They will find it and ruin it)

If you are getting it tanned or shipping it the nose dip doesnot matter as it will straighten out when they rehydrate it to tan it. If you are just going to hang it like it is I don't think it will last a year before the bugs finish it off.

Back