6.5 Grendel vs. 6.8spc vs. 6x6.8

Ok, complete newb to any of these calibers. What are the pro's and con's to each of these calibers? Usage would be yotes and hogs at night with thermal.

Don't flame the new guy, please.
smile.gif

Grendel is more friendly towards longer heavier bullets due to the shorter case and being able to seat bullets out longer.
6.8 will launch the lighter 85 to 90 grain bullets in the 2900s.
6x6.8 will give you the option of lighter 55 or 58 pills around 3500 along with the 87 ish bullets back down around that 2900 mark. Gotta have the dies to neck this round down though.
Imo the 6x6.8 or the 22 Nosler is the night time calling calibers of choice. Ranging can be tough and I prefer fast and flat. My 22 Nosler shoots 55s 3490 with cfe 223 and keeps em .5 ish.

Last edited:
Have a friend with a hog depradation permit for night hunting. Yotes would be different, Texas etc. I am pretty sure that night time predator hunting in Oklahoma isn't legal...unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Grendel is more friendly towards longer heavier bullets due to the shorter case and being able to seat bullets out longer.
6.8 will launch the lighter 85 to 90 grain bullets in the 2900s.
6x6.8 will give you the option of lighter 55 or 58 pills around 3500 along with the 87 ish bullets back down around that 2900 mark. Gotta have the dies to neck this round down though.
Imo the 6x6.8 or the 22 Nosler is the night time calling calibers of choice. Ranging can be tough and I prefer fast and flat. My 22 Nosler shoots 55s 3490 with cfe 223 and keeps em .5 ish.

Sounds like a 6x6.8 with 75 vmax would be a good blend of speed and thump.

How long of a barrel do you want, and how long of shots would you expect?

I like the 6mm's also but would want 20" of barrel for those. Probably 85 gr Sierra's about 2900 like was mentioned would be great on piggies.

If I wanted a shorter barrel I'd go with either of the others. I'm in the Grendel camp but flip a coin really. Federal has a new 90 gr tnt Grendel load but not sure it's tough enough bullet for pigs. Handloaded 100 grainers would be perfect or just use factory 123's.

That's just my opinion, no wrong answer with those choices. Add the 243 lbc or 6mm predator (same thing) to your options also.

I know it sucks. It states no artificial light. I argued it's thermal and it's not artificial but they don't see it that way. Us Oklahomans need to rally together and get night hunting legal in our state.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yotehunter243I have a 6x6.8 and 6.8. I see myself favoring the 6.8. I'm running a 110 accubond at 2730fps. It's no slouch

+1

6.8 spc is a great all around caliber.

BHW's current 6x6.8 barrels have a very short throat, which means you have to seat bullets much deeper in the case than previously posted load data shows. Deep seated bullets means that compressed loads may be required depending on bullet/powder choice. Mine did. Cross your fingers and hope it works out, there's no public test reports yet.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARHow long of a barrel do you want, and how long of shots would you expect?

I like the 6mm's also but would want 20" of barrel for those. Probably 85 gr Sierra's about 2900 like was mentioned would be great on piggies.

If I wanted a shorter barrel I'd go with either of the others. I'm in the Grendel camp but flip a coin really. Federal has a new 90 gr tnt Grendel load but not sure it's tough enough bullet for pigs. Handloaded 100 grainers would be perfect or just use factory 123's.

That's just my opinion, no wrong answer with those choices. Add the 243 lbc or 6mm predator (same thing) to your options also.

Would like to keep the barrel around 16 or 18". In a grendel, I would probably run something like the 100gn ELD-Match or an equivalent.

For hogs, I have killed them just fine with 69smk in a 223, but I prefer to have surplus horsepower rather than just enough.

30gr to 31.5gr 8208xbr, 55 NBTLF, 10 thou off the lands, Rem 7.5, FC cases half new half once fired, shoulders bumped 5 thou, half shot from bipod and rear bag, other half from sandbags and rear bag, 18x scope. I fired about 6 five-rd groups for 30 rounds total. Maybe 6 or 7 random cases had light extractor swipes, no pattern apparently but they were not too bad. All groups looked pretty much the same = discusting. (Now there is one official range report with BHW's "new" 6x6.8 chamber/reamer).

I promised myself that if the replacement barrel failed to show promise on the first outing, I would send it back instead of spending even MORE time and recources trying find some way to make it work. This was the 2nd outing actually. It failed.

Ain't nobody got time for two wrong custom barrels in a row. Know what I'm saying?

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243I have a 6x6.8 and 6.8. I see myself favoring the 6.8. I'm running a 110 accubond at 2730fps. It's no slouch

With a DA of 944 (my house at the moment) that produces 1820#kE at the muzzle and 1031#kE at 300yds. Zero that at 35yds and you are 1.2" high at 100yds and 1.8" low at 200yds. Pretty much point and shoot to 225 yds and still over 1000# of thump. Plenty good for most varmints and vermon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOG30gr to 31.5gr 8208xbr, 55 NBTLF, 10 thou off the lands, Rem 7.5, FC cases half new half once fired, shoulders bumped 5 thou, half shot from bipod and rear bag, other half from sandbags and rear bag, 18x scope. I fired about 6 five-rd groups for 30 rounds total. Maybe 6 or 7 random cases had light extractor swipes, no pattern apparently but they were not too bad. All groups looked pretty much the same = discusting. (Now there is one official range report with BHW's "new" 6x6.8 chamber/reamer).

I promised myself that if the replacement barrel failed to show promise on the first outing, I would send it back instead of spending even MORE time and recources trying find some way to make it work. This was the 2nd outing actually. It failed.

Ain't nobody got time for two wrong custom barrels in a row. Know what I'm saying?

I hear that. Maybe a swap to the LBC but the cartridge normally just shoots like a laser.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Originally Posted By: yotehunter243I have a 6x6.8 and 6.8. I see myself favoring the 6.8. I'm running a 110 accubond at 2730fps. It's no slouch

With a DA of 944 (my house at the moment) that produces 1820#kE at the muzzle and 1031#kE at 300yds. Zero that at 35yds and you are 1.2" high at 100yds and 1.8" low at 200yds. Pretty much point and shoot to 225 yds and still over 1000# of thump. Plenty good for most varmints and vermon.

That's why I'm liking it. I maybe working a load 85gr Cutting Edge Bullet

Back