Using lock tight on scope mount?

I never put anything on rings and never had them come loose. I use a torque screwdriver. I feel this is just dumb luck. I now use PURPLE loctite. The purple is the lowest strength. It is basically only available online, do not even try the hardware or auto store, you are wasting your time. I use this on barrel screws and now scope rings. This can also work on a choke tube that will not stop backing out.

Quote:It is basically only available online, do not even try the hardware or auto store, you are wasting your time.

About a week ago I was in our local Harbor Freight and they had it.

I have used red for almost 50yrs. on the base never had a problem it will come off. on rings I just use it where the ring mounts to the base it is not needed where the ring screws together because of the way they bind together.I have used it as preventative so as to not have trouble in the field.probably not really needed but I have seen others have issues with loose scopes.

I used to use blue lock-tite until I found Vibra-tite. You see screws that come with different things like Magpul stocks etc.,that have some goop on them already to use? That's Vibra-tite. You can take the screws in & out up to 5 times & it still works & will not vibrate loose. They also make a green for non threaded push on fittings that works like magic & you can still get it apart if needed. It's some good ****!
JD

I have been using clear fingernail polish for over 40 years with no issues. Clean the holes and screws and add a drop of polish to the threads.

Clean the holes with acetone to remove all traces of gun oil or grease in order to make the Loctite stick to the threads in the holes. It's very important to clean the oil and grease off the metal before using the Loctite in the mounting holes for the optics and the mounts for the optics.

This is even more important when mounting a rifle scope on a springer type air rifle. They kick in two different directions and will destroy a regular type scope in no time.

Note: the Blue Loctite is what you should use. Don't use the Red Loctite. Use the Blue Loctite. Make sure that you shake the bottle or tube really good before using it too. It has to be mixed up thoroughly before you apply it each time. And let it dry over night before using the gun and optics.

Torque the screws down properly. If the scope manufacture doesn't give you torque number then check out the screw and you can get the torque requirements by the diameter and type of screws that will work. Just tight enough to hold the optics in place but not so tight as to strip the threads on the screws.

Back