U.N. says 'deeply troubled' by Arkansas executions

azmastablasta

I'm troubled by the continued existence of the UN.

U.N. says 'deeply troubled' by Arkansas executions

Reuters April 28, 2017

GENEVA (Reuters) - The United Nations human rights office voiced deep concern on Friday at the execution of four men in Arkansas in the past week saying that the rush to carry them out before a drug expired added to the "arbitrariness and cruelty" of the process.

Arkansas on Thursday executed its fourth inmate in eight days, administering a lethal injection to a man who killed two people after escaping from a prison where he had been serving a life sentence for murdering a woman.

"We are deeply troubled that, after a 12 year de facto moratorium on the use of the death penalty, the U.S. state of Arkansas has executed four men in the space of eight days," U.N. human rights spokeswoman Liz Throssell told a news briefing.

The state had initially planned to execute eight inmates in 11 days in April, the most of any state in so short a period since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976. Four of those executions were halted by various courts.

The unprecedented schedule was set by Republican Governor Asa Hutchinson because a drug in the state's mix for lethal injections, the sedative midazolam, expires at the end of April.

Pharmaceutical companies have been increasingly unwilling to sell drugs used in capital punishment, although Arkansas law grants vendors confidentiality.

Throssell, in response to a reporter's question, said: "Our concern is really the fact that these executions were scheduled because of the expiration date of the drug, and you are absolutely right that adds to the arbitrariness and cruelty of the whole process."

"Rushing executions" can deny prisoners the chance to fully exercise their rights to appeal and can also lead to states shortening their clemency processes, thus affecting prisoners' rights, she said. The United Nations opposes the use of the death penalty in all circumstances, but welcomed a decline in U.S. executions from 52 in 2009 to 20 last year, Throssell said.

So far this year there have been 10 executions, she said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-n-says-deeply-troubled-arkansas-executions-135659270.html

And yet not a peep about Isis executions for not being the right kind of Mooseslime
rolleyes.gif

Ya know, I think they have a point and to show their resolve I think they should refuse to accept any more money from us until we agree with them 100%

Rushed? executions.

How about doing it a week after they are convicted, would save us all a lot of money.

I saw that Utah planned to use firing squads, that is awesome. Do it in a public square where everyone can watch.

Quote:pharmaceutical companies have been increasingly unwilling to sell drugs used in capital punishment, although Arkansas law grants vendors confidentiality.

There is just not enough money in it. Especially when compared to all the money they are making from prescription addicts..

I fail to understand why these drugs are so expensive? Couldn't they use the same drugs regular people are administered for general anesthetic for major surgery? They just OD the bad guys on the same drug or use the same stuff veterinarians use to euthanize pets.

A .22LR behind the ear is best... And for the UN, who gives a rats butt what they think. If they are "deeply troubled", tough chit, nobody in this country should care.

I am not sure that anyone who has earned the death sentence should be given much leeway about whether it is "humane" or not. They are getting what they deserve and in a much more decent fashion than what they showed to their victims.

lol..

They didn't seem to have an issue with the speed to which Saddam Hussian was Hung after his trial.

Maybe we should implement that process to avoid the garbage from the UN.

Back