How important is camouflage to you?

Dave that's interesting you say that about wiggling a hand or foot. On several occasions I've wiggled the fingers of my left hand which was supporting the rifle or shotgun to cause a coyote or bobcat to move a little bit and clear some timber or brush so I could get a shot. I had a bobcat come on a string straight to me locked hard on the wiggling fingers holding that Benelli 12 gauge. Not sure how close he would have came to my finger wiggle decoy but I shot him at twenty yards and he started out about fifty yards when I started giving him the fingers.

I use an old multicam top with tan pants, I can blend anywhere in the US with absolute confidence with that setup. Multicam tops sell at army surplus stores for $20 and if you never machine dry it, it'll last you forever. The extra pockets on the outer shoulders are genius. I swear by the pattern, I've watched my friends disappear in the mountains wearing that, especially under low light conditions. I also use multicam mechanix gloves I bought on sale at oreilly auto for $15. Depending on the environment I use green or tan shemaughs as makeshift sniper veils ($3-$10) to break up My head and shoulders. My weapons are also painted the same way the recon section in my battalion would paint their weapons, their platoon sergeant allowed me to observe them do so when I was a private. Now, bear in mind, using basic fundamentals of concealment such as matching backdrop and use of shadows are the real key to success when using whatever you choose, just as everyone had said. I'm just comfortable with what equipment I had left over from my time in the military.

Gotta wear something so I always wear camo and always cover my face and hands. I like Realtree AP as it seems to blend in a lot of terrains. I buy quiet, warm, camo with good functioning pockets etc. A lot of my stuff is Scentblocker that I pick up for less than half price on the internet. I don't buy into the Scent blocking idea but I like function and would never pay anywhere near full price.

I figure anything that can buy me that extra second or extra chance. Do you "need" camo, I have seen plenty of predators taken while wearing street clothes, so, no, you don't need it. Movement gets you burned more than camo. But camo might get you that extra shot. I have had plenty of predators "backdoor" me and walk right on by while I blended in to the background.

I think that contrast plays a bigger part in your camo selection than patterns. That's why I like to take photos in color and black and white to see the contrast. I have seen some camo that stands out like a road flare when we looked at it in black and white.

I'm not much of an open country hunter, preferring hunting in the cover, I usually sit in front of something but don't tuck myself in as I like to be able to swing around almost 360. I've always been a camo fan but kind of a cheapscape also and buy most of my stuff at wally world on sale. As long as it isn't too dark it all seems to work. I bought a gillie jacket and have been wearing it alot but had an interesting experience this spring. I was down in NM and the weather was strange to say the least, early morning I was in wool gloves, sweater and gillie suit, by noon I was down to a nat-gear short sleeve T-shirt(PM gear from a few years ago) and a very light face mask to cover my white beard(beard is a lot whiter than my face). It didn't seem to make much difference. I think staying still and just sort of blending in is more important.

I think you guys nailed it. Recently on a hunt my friend was wearing a red Nebraska cornhuskers hoodie. He shot a coyote facing us at 120 yds. Laying prone and holding still did the trick.

However, I wear camo or at least brown clothing when I hunt for the reasons listed above. I also believe in buying on sale. I hunt better when I'm warm and dry, and most hunting purposed clothing accomplishes that in a camo pattern.

Just makes sense to give yourself the best opportunity for success if you're going to spend the time and money on all the rest of it.

I wear a camo shirt mostly beacause it gives me a little confidence. I know sitting still is more important. I wear half finger gloves to help hide my white hands from movement from using mouth calls.
I recently learned how un-important camo is from dropping a coyote at 16yds, she just looked right past me! Sit still ( a little easier said than done) and you will be fine.

This is something to consider, whatever you wear look at your clothing with a UV or black light in a dark room. I wear camo head to toe when I call and had a coyote give me the eye when I wasn't calling and was sitting in a bush. My orange Pee Wee call hanging from my neck looks like a beacon under UV light. Could an orange call draw a coyote's attention to you??

This is something to consider, whatever you wear look at your clothing with a UV or black light in a dark room. I wear camo head to toe when I call and had a coyote give me the eye when I wasn't calling and was sitting in a bush. My orange Pee Wee call hanging from my neck looks like a beacon under UV light. Could an orange call draw a coyote's attention to you??

Originally Posted By: Varmint DudeFace mask,camo top that matches the terrain and a pair of tan Carhartt pants.That's what I wear out west to coyote hunt. VD, Those pants in your picture sure do look blue to me. LOL. I know what you mean. Carharts are hard to see in pine thickets also,especially on the ground.

Back