Question about Kimber rifles

I bought mine strictly because they anounced the classic select in 280ai. I waited 14mos for it to come in. I was not impressed with 2 or 3 inch groups. It will shoot 1.5 or so with factory 280 150grn. corelokts. When I quit using 139 sst bullets and went to 150 bts my groups shrank to just under or just over an inch. My trigger had some creep and overtravel in it that I recently corrected. I havent gotten back to the range with it since. It was easy to adjust down to 35oz. With 0 creep or overtravel now. This should help it shoot a little better. For the price I think that it should have been good to start with. That is why I didnt open it up and adjust it to start with. My SOP is to adjust everything before the first range session. If I had done it before shooting it,I may have been happier.

To me the measure of happiness with a purchase of any kind is, would I buy another one. I wouldnt. I would buy another Weatherby mkv. This time in 257. That was my debate then and I wish that I would have gone the other way.

Buy and tell us what you think. You are the only one that needs to be happy with it anyway.

I agree with Winny. All of the Kimbers I've been around, its been many, have shot very well. As for the Montana's, look what you are buying. A carbon fiber stock with design input by Mel Forbes and one of the best factory triggers on the market. Those 2 pieces alone are what a 700 BDS would cost.
Price any new rifle that comes with a carbon fiber stock, has a trigger set at 3.5lbs from the factory and weights under 6lbs.
Back when I was pricing to build an ultra light Predator rifle in 17 Rem., it was cheaper to buy a new Kimber Montana in 204, have a new Lilja barrel installed, true everything up, and skim bed it, than to build the same on the Remington model 7 I already owned.

As for extremely poor accuracy, let me tell you about the Ruger Ultralight I own................
mad.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: K22I agree with Winny. All of the Kimbers I've been around, its been many, have shot very well. As for the Montana's, look what you are buying. A carbon fiber stock with design input by Mel Forbes and one of the best factory triggers on the market. Those 2 pieces alone are what a 700 BDS would cost.
Price any new rifle that comes with a carbon fiber stock, has a trigger set at 3.5lbs from the factory and weights under 6lbs.
Back when I was pricing to build an ultra light Predator rifle in 17 Rem., it was cheaper to buy a new Kimber Montana in 204, have a new Lilja barrel installed, true everything up, and skim bed it, than to build the same on the Remington model 7 I already owned.

As for extremely poor accuracy, let me tell you about the Ruger Ultralight I own................
mad.gif

This ^^^
Always think in terms of 'What is plan 'B'?
What if everything that can go wrong, does go wrong? In the worst case scenario, what you have for the base to work from is a spectacular stock and a very good trigger. Not a jewel, but very good. An action that has been skeletonized for weight reduction. Just these features alone make the montana a good investment.
I had the trigger adjusted on mine and a douglas barrel installed. If I do my part, it shoots 1/2 all day long w/developed loads. Like shooting a police chief special, it takes an experienced shooter to make a hit with a 1/2'' barreled revolver. Shooting a super light weight rifles, the same rules apply. The barrel jump is very unusual, but w/practice, it is not a problem. I had a top-open muzzle break installed on mine to reduce the jump.
It is great watching the Yotes fall under it's prowess. At the end of the day, you will have saved $$$ of go0ing this route as opposed to New Ultra Light or Rem/ gunsmithing route, and still have field ready rifle that make you feels like your holding hands w/ Kate Upton.

All things considered and since pretty names are being mentioned, for the price of a Kimber you can have Kate Upton. For a lot less money you can have her grade school acquaintance Modine Gunch. Modine fits behind the seat of the pick'em up truck and never hollers if she's mistreated a bit whereas you don't mind and actually prefer that Kate rides shotgun up front with you so you can look at her occasionally.
laugh.gif

K22, of all the ironies in life, I have a Stainless Ruger UltraLight with the skinny 20" barrel in 204 Ruger that is a very accurate rifle.

Quote:K22, of all the ironies in life, I have a Stainless Ruger UltraLight with the skinny 20" barrel in 204 Ruger that is a very accurate rifle.

Go figure.
grin.gif

The one I have is a 1st year model in 223. Walnut and blued. 4" groups were its very best.
crazy.gif

I did buy a used stainless model in 204 and it shot real good.

Good comparison to the little smith there 243. Mine taught me about bullet trajectory some 25 years ago. I assumed a much larger bullet drop than reality at 50 yards. I never shoot it under 15 yards for practice. They are hard to shoot though, my 70 year old MIL used one for her concealed carry class and shot a perfect score. My wife is the only person in the family that carries an auto on a regular basis.

Originally Posted By: Bruised I have wondered if alot of the issue were before the MOA guarantee? I don't know long that's been in effect.

I doubt it would much matter how long it has been in effect....if you actually read it you realize that it is really not worth the paper it is written on. "In effect"????.....they haven't wrote one that can effect much of anything so far!!!!

I talked to Kimber about the MOA guarantee and asked if a test target is included with the rifle or at least what type of ammo was used. I was told no target is sent because the rifles are fired from a machine?, and an electronic target plots the group. Depending on caliber Federal Trophy ammo is used.

I've got 2...Classic in 270 and Montana in 25-06, both likely produced 2003-2006. I stumbled on a used Classic looking for a deer rifle for my wife who's 5'3" and the small stock fit her the best. That gun shoots under an inch with hand loads and an inch or so with factory. The Montana in 25-06 is my go to deer rifle and easily shoots under an inch...I can get .4 with Berger hand loads. That said neither like to be loaded near the top end of book loads...both like mid range charges and velocity...and Berger bullets seated a couple thousandths out. I think the lightweight design contributes and it seems those that find the right powder/bullet/velocity combos have the best results. On the other hand are the Tikka's I've got...might not be pretty but they just shoot.

Originally Posted By: Bruised I talked to Kimber about the MOA guarantee and asked if a test target is included with the rifle or at least what type of ammo was used. I was told no target is sent because the rifles are fired from a machine?, and an electronic target plots the group. Depending on caliber Federal Trophy ammo is used.

All that maybe true...what I am referring to is the actual wording of the "guarantee" itself. Read exactly what they have written and you will see that it is a joke and not worth the little card it's written on.

MSINC, I understand what you're saying. I simply wanted to pass on the information. Possibly, if there did happen to be a major problem, it would be a little easier to get it resolved. I don't really put alot of faith in guarantees of type.
Bobby

I've already posted once without slamming Kimber. Like I said mine shot under MOA. I probably should have added that was after bedding.

However, I just looked up the MSRP on the open country and I'm going to suggest that you buy a Cooper instead. Then, you'll know for sure.

Originally Posted By: Bruised The Open Country will only be available in 6.5 Creedmoor initially. I was told by Kimber that 22-250 would probably be next.

Ok ... Didn't know what it was being offered in but had an idea Creedmoor was at least one offering. The Creedmoor tends to shoot great out of just about all factory platforms from what I have gathered. In my opinion, I think you'll have better results than expected with a Creedmoor. I also have been looking at the Open Country and want to try my 1st Creedmoor. I don't feel it's a gamble in the least bit. I have a Kimber Micro .380 that I really like and it seems to be well made and so far cycles without any hiccups. I would like to try one of their long guns.

I would suggest y'all Consider a TN made light rifle: the new Barrett Fieldcraft. They're making them twisted right. Saw a guy w a threaded 18-inch 8- twist .22-250 on 24HCF.

Lighter than Montanas and twisted right in all calibers.

Back