1st called coyote for 2017

IAyoteHNTR

What do you do on a Sunday morning when you fill your Turkey tag on a Saturday afternoon? You go coyote hunting of course!

I got out to the family ground about 15 minutes before sunrise and set up looking across the cattle grazing ground that is South of our ground. Sat til just after sunrise and made a few calls on and off for about 1/2 hr, mainly rabbit in distress. Never saw a thing.

Decided to go to the ground North of our ground and set up on the South side of a large pond there but on my way I had to stop and watch 2 does come across real slow in front of me. I sat motionless up against a tree and they were within 30-40 yards of me at one time and they never knew I was there. So after they cleared out I finally got over to the spot I wanted to watch/call from and before I could do any calling with the Foxpro, I saw a doe running SE across the ridge North of me. It stopped and looked back behind it a few times and it seemed like it was spooked and "coyote?" was the first thing that I thought might be spooking her.

Low and behold within several minutes I see a coyote trotting across the same area that the doe came across. This was about 350-400 yards North of me. I thought the coyote might come over to the pond like I've seen coyotes do in the past so rather than make any calls I sat there quietly for another several minutes before I started with some light distress calls. It was within another 10 minutes this small female came out of the bottom I saw her headed for (there's a creek down there) and stood broadside looking over across the pond. She was probably just over 100 yards out and my AR-15 with the Hornady 75gr HPBT ammo hit it's mark.
thumbup.gif

coyote%201%202017_zpstz8kvtva.jpg

Like I said, the only reason I was coyote hunting is because I filled my turkey tag with a nice tom yesterday afternoon on my first attempt at turkey hunting this year, so in a way I can thank my success at turkey hunting for my success at coyote hunting this morning. Not predator hunting, but I thought you guys might like a pic of the turkey I got that allowed me to go coyote hunting this morning.
thumbup1.gif
My dog Max was photo bombing me at the time.
rolleyes.gif

turkey%201%202017_zps7yflkfre.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IAyoteHNTRWhat do you do on a Sunday morning when you fill your Turkey tag on a Saturday afternoon? You go to church of course!

sorry. to good to pass up.
smile.gif

wtg on the turk and coyote.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: IAyoteHNTRWhat do you do on a Sunday morning when you fill your Turkey tag on a Saturday afternoon? You go to church of course!

sorry. to good to pass up.
smile.gif

wtg on the turk and coyote.
thumbup1.gif

The great outdoors is my church. It's where I find my inner peace.
wink.gif

And thank you.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: AWSgo out and buy a chicken and you can make a big batch of "Coyturkin"

I'd have to be close to starvation to even think about eating a coyote.
tongue.gif

Back