I am at my wit's end. First AR build, can't get it to cycle properly. Hoping for some advice.

I have not read this entire thread, but one thing I would look at is the hammer on the RR trigger. I don't know how many times folks have called me with the same problem you are having and it turned out to be the hammer.

With the upper off of the lower, take the lower and push the hammer back all the way. Hold it down as far as you can hold it with your thumb. Measure from the top rails of the lower receiver to the highest part of the hammer, all while holding it down as far as it will go. Now, take the upper receiver, roll it over and measure the distance from the bottom rails of the upper to the center of the carrier, the flat run that the hammer rides on. If the two measurements are nearly the same, or if the hammer sticks up further than the carrier is recessed, then the hammer is pushing up on the carrier and causing excessive drag. IF, this is the case, and only IF this is the case, taking a little off of the highest part of the hammer. It normally only takes a few thousandths of an inch.

You can normally "feel" the carrier begin to drag as you pull back slowly on the charging handle. When the cam on the carrier hits the hammer and pushes it down, you can normally feel excessive drag if the hammer is too high.

the "doctor" is in!
cool.gif

Hey everyone. After a little bit of wait time with PSA, the upper made it back to me. One of their gunsmiths typed me up a note saying that the problem was my "barrel assembly." What the means, I'm not sure. The barrel and gas system were completely replaced.

On a high note, with 77gr OTM Freedom Munitions loads, it is shooting very well on the new barrel. It's definitely a different barrel, as the old barrel had the info etched in, where as this one has it printed on it. Similar in every other way.

I'm still curious as to exactly what was going wrong, but it looks like I'll never have a more in depth answer. Thanks to everyone for the input. I'll include a photo of the rifle and some groups out of the new barrel. Hard to complain with the results so far. All groups shot at 100 yards.

Yeah!!! IF they had to replace the barrel I wonder if it may have been too large of a gas port and it was overstroking. They would not have been able to do much except to change the barrel if that was the case. Sad that we won't know for sure. Thanks for the update.

Back