308 to 260

pyscodog

Instead of buying new Lapua brass, I decided to sacrifice the 100 pieces of once fired 308 I had on the shelf and make them into 260. First step was to anneal, so I got out my drill and torch and annealed the cases. Then ran them through my tumbler and got them nice and clean again. Right or wrong, I don't know, but I pulled the expander ball out of my die and started running the 308 cases through the 260 die. Then, I put the expander back into the die and am in the process of resizing and decapping. So far, so good!! My 260 is a Tikka and I ran my die down until it touched the shell holder, no camming yet.I tried to chamber a round but it wouldn't let the bolt close so I turn my die in just a little more. I did this until I felt just a slight bit of resistance closing the bolt. I check this about every 10-15 cases. Got about 50 left to go!!

Last edited:
No,but I bought a barrel for a Savage 22-250 that I have. I'm going to convert it and leave the Remington alone. The Remington is still a 22-250AI and I'm really glad you didn't buy it. LOL Can't believe I even thought about selling it.

I always anneal them after sizing them working the brass will make them hard again I have made 22-250 out of 308

I converted .308 to .260 as well. My Winchester brass went right through the die and chambered in my Tikka .260, but the Lapua cases had a ever so slight doughnut at the base of the neck that needed to be turned to chamber. It was a fun way to get a couple hundred cases that would otherwise be unusable. I didn't anneal, but it would have probably helped with the Lapua brass.

After loading a few rounds, I realized that I am going to have to turn the necks too. An empty case seemed OK but once loaded it was just not right. I don't need to remove very much but they need trimmed up. Mine was at the base of the neck also.

Back