First time using the Thor-HD

I put this in Hog forum but thought y'all would enjoy also!

I took off my old X-sight and mounted on my new THOR-HD thermal scope on my 6.8; I got it sighted in by using water jugs with hot water and only took 3 shots to get it zero. So I've been itching to get out to try it out on some hogs.

Here's the video using the Thor, even though I believe I missed him. I also believe a little hog fever had something to do with the miss but going to recheck my zero.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=kbyMcS6YDas

Originally Posted By: NavigatorThat is sweet. Hopefully going to transition to night optics soon. getting tired of the light and to many you never see come in

Yes sir, I use the Leupold LTO Tracker for scanning which has stepped up my night hunting.

Hogs are in trouble Jim, you are too well equipped for them to survive. Get that thing dead on and you will have more pork than you will want to skin. Thanks for sharing the video.

Looked to me like the shot was just under the ridgeline of his back. I think you hit him, especially since the way he raised his head upward right at the end of the video. If your rifle was hitting dead-on at that distance, then you hit him.

Originally Posted By: weekenderHogs are in trouble Jim, you are too well equipped for them to survive. Get that thing dead on and you will have more pork than you will want to skin. Thanks for sharing the video.

Thanks, that is the plan and hopefully cut down the coyote population at my neighbors longhorn ranch too!

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Looked to me like the shot was just under the ridgeline of his back. I think you hit him, especially since the way he raised his head upward right at the end of the video. If your rifle was hitting dead-on at that distance, then you hit him.

I think your spot on with your assertion and that was my thought. But I do believe I shot over him after I went out through the brush and no luck. I'll check zero this week before I go chase some coyotes.

I posted the story over in Hog Heaven of re-zeroing the THOR-HD.

After getting re-zeroed and went through a couple boxes of ammo to fine tune it (it was 5 inches high and a little to the left); I decided to head over to the haylot to see if anything was moving and when I was getting closer I started to hear the hogs grunting and squealing so I knew there would be a good chance to get to try it out.

When I crested over the hill I saw them rooting around and I had to pause a few times because one of them would spot me then return to the ground again.

That is when I turned on the video camera. I put the storyline in the video as you all will see. Enjoy!

Back