Open Field Runners

Gman757

I was on my way home from another hunt and decided to swing by and check this hay field. I scanned it with my thermal and spotted several hogs about 500 yards away in the far corner and the wind direction was good so I went after them.

I dropped my electric cart off of the trailer and drove in the dark using my thermal scanner to get to the hogs. I eased along real slow and drove to about 60 yards from them and stopped. I was going to get out and stalk a little closer and realized I had left my tripod in the truck.

I decided to use the shooting rest in my electric cart since I figured the hogs would head for the thick stuff behind them and I would be in position to shoot.

Well....that plan went out the window after the first shot. The hogs turned toward me and I was all over the place trying to swing my rifle in the rest and slide across the seat to stay on them. I also had a top brace that was in the way as I swung to my right. You can see in the vid it was kind of a cluster trying to shoot that way and I finally had to lift the gun up and over and shoot free hand. It wasn't pretty but the hogs are dead......

Last edited:
That's what I call stacking up the pork!
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: jim87formulaGreat shooting! You did way better shooting then me tonight; missed a opossum and a hog but connected with a armadillo, lol.

Hey Jim. Armadillos are small targets....you have to shoot pretty good to hit one.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gman757Originally Posted By: jim87formulaGreat shooting! You did way better shooting then me tonight; missed a opossum and a hog but connected with a armadillo, lol.

Hey Jim. Armadillos are small targets....you have to shoot pretty good to hit one.
thumbup1.gif

But, it was with my 1911 45 at 3 yards, lol...

Next time try stocking closer like you planned, and just shoot free hand. Youll be surprised at how well you do. Besides thats how the AR was designed to be shot. The military never supplied troops with shooting sticks. I figured this out after always forgetting my sticks back at the truck...now i just grab the gun and go.

Last edited:
Back