Y'all show me yours Night vision/thermal setup

Birdsandspurs

Been checking out night goggles tnvc and htrn lookin at things abroad here. After being all over YouTube seems coyotes are waaaaay more calm and easier to kill per day than with a light. Maybe I'm wrong, but either way post them up please and detail what you got

Also how many of you use AR VS a bolt action

this past season I used a hd19a to scan with and an armasight Vulcan gen 3 4.5x scope and htrn infinity ir light. Had it on a 6.8 ar. Was real happy with everything but am probly switching to a pulsar helion to scan with this coming season. Not sure if you were wanting pictures but I don't know how to post them. And yes I'd say the coyotes are calmer without the light but they are still coyotes so your stand setup is still crucial.

Originally Posted By: Birdsandspurs After being all over YouTube seems coyotes are waaaaay more calm and easier to kill per day than with a light. Maybe I'm wrong,

Might be just easier to film in the day time.....just a thought

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pmackOriginally Posted By: Birdsandspurs After being all over YouTube seems coyotes are waaaaay more calm and easier to kill per day than with a light. Maybe I'm wrong,

Might be just easier to film in the day time.....just a thought

That was meant to say "per say" not day. My bad.

I run Simrads on my night guns. This is a clip on unit that uses day scope. I run a PVS14 head mounted with night cap for walking in and scanning. I run a T20 on my rifle for IR light and one hand held for scanning. I use badger rings or Sphur mounts with simrad caps for clipping simrad on. The simrads are a little bulky, but well worth their weight IMO when it comes to clarity. The other thing I love about the simrad is that centerline of objective sits higher than center line of scope objective. What this means is I zero the scope at night at 100yds using one of their targets. On my 253, it sits 3.5" higher than day scope. To zero the scope you make sure your day scope has a good zero, then clip on the simrad. You want to be shooting 3.5" lower than day zero at night, then I dial the scope up to be zeroed at night. Now both are zeroed, and I actually hold zero out to I believe 340yds at night with my 22-250. I dial it to .9 Mil and run it. No hold overs, no worrying about anything most times. Point shoot, done.

I have used two different tripod set ups as well.

First is a bog pod with a hog saddle. Very effective, light weight, and extremely easy to use at night.

fnbg3d.jpg

Second tripod setup is a manfrotto with magnesium ball head and QD mount for hunt. WAY WAY more sturdy than my bog pod, but it took me a minute to get quick at setting up in the dark. Only had it 2 months or so, but love it so far. That set up is the second one in this pic.

6rm4pt.jpg

I am sure I am missing other details, but this is cliff notes version. I am in now way Night vision smart, but have spent some time behind these 2 set ups. Any other questions, ask away. ill see id I can give a dumb answer. That's about all I am good for.

I'm starting to look into the AR stuff now.

I've initially been stuck on the pvs 14 and pulsar. But more I look I think I'd rather have thermal scope and thermal
Scanner rather than NV. IVE watched HTRN on YouTube with the NV and illumination with the NV. Can you guys give me pros cons and so forth of 1 to the other?

Originally Posted By: BirdsandspursI think I'd rather have thermal scope and thermal Scanner rather than NV. IVE watched HTRN on YouTube with the NV and illumination with the NV. Can you guys give me pros cons and so forth of 1 to the other?

NV gives you better identification for the $$.

Lot of answers for you in this thread.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...7578&page=1

This is a great answer

Originally Posted By: DholsappleA lot of guys may disagree with me but unless you already have thermal scope or can't use ir light where you at I'd go with a nightvision scope. My buddy and both use hand held thermals and nightvision scopes and there's some peace of mind pulling the trigger on a coyote instead of a white image that moves like a coyote and has a coyoteish shape. We had a couple instances this past year where a pair of dogs came in downwind to the call and were sure they were coyotes until we looked thru a scope and found they were border collies from a nearby house. Keep in mind the farther you shoot with a thermal scope the less clear your image is so although you have the magnification to make a 400 yard shot on that coyote
It may turn out to be a deer when you go to drag it out. That's if you can judge the distance to hit it. In my oppinoin to get a scope that will give you a good identification of what you are shooting at past 250-300 yards irdefense are the ones
To look at but they more than 4K by themselves. As far as a scanner goes I'd take the fov over being able to tell what the hot spot actually is. For me the scope is what we use to positively identify. To me nighthunting isn't a long range shot situation. We try to keep them under 200 although we killed some around 300 but 100-150 is the preference. Just my two cents

Last edited:
Been talking with dholsapple and he has given me slot of insight in this toonas has old cat! Thanks guys. Think itnis best and more safe for NV. So with old cat using the pvs 15 and dholsapple having experience with the nemesis scopes it gives me an option to chose from for sure.

Back