Bolt fails to completely close on 6x6.8, then can't pull the charging handle out

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGAnyways I thought Redding type-s dies were not designed to size the neck all the way down? How is mine sizing TOO FAR down the neck?

(Silly me for following instructions).

The neck shoulder junction measurement is taller on the 6x6.8 than it is on the standard 6.8spc.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: DiRTY DOGAnyways I thought Redding type-s dies were not designed to size the neck all the way down? How is mine sizing TOO FAR down the neck?

The neck shoulder junction measurement is taller on the 6x6.8 than it is on the standard 6.8spc.

Yep the smaller the hole the taller it gets. The 20X6.8 is very noticeable

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: DiRTY DOGAnyways I thought Redding type-s dies were not designed to size the neck all the way down? How is mine sizing TOO FAR down the neck?

Greg

Yes, that one would require quite a bit of "float" in the bushing

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: DiRTY DOGAnyways I thought Redding type-s dies were not designed to size the neck all the way down? How is mine sizing TOO FAR down the neck?

Greg

Yes, that one would require quite a bit of "float" in the bushing
Even more on the 20 LBC.

Greg

I don't have a 300 comparator, the kit I got only goes down to 330.

I tried floating the bushings more, seems to chamber and extract ok. I'll try to shoot some later today.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI don't have a 300 comparator, the kit I got only goes down to 330.

I tried floating the bushings more, seems to chamber and extract ok. I'll try to shoot some later today.

That's good news. You need a 350 for the headspace gauge on the 6.8 family. It is the same one that is used on the PPC/Grendel family also. I've been known to use a 357/9 MM case in a pinch for relative comparisons on sizing.

Greg

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI don't have a 300 comparator, the kit I got only goes down to 330.

Sorry I should have clarified, I use my hornady bullet comparator set. The 33 cal indexes close to the shoulder/body junction and the 30 cal at the neck/shoulder.

All your using the numbers for is to get a before and after sizing measurement so using an actual headspace gauge is not necessary.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI don't have a 300 comparator, the kit I got only goes down to 330.

Sorry I should have clarified, I use my hornady bullet comparator set. The 33 cal indexes close to the shoulder/body junction and the 30 cal at the neck/shoulder.

All your using the numbers for is to get a before and after sizing measurement so using an actual headspace gauge is not necessary.

You can also use sizing bushings if you have th right platform..just sayin'..lol

In reality using one or the other is good because you know the datum point is rarely actually used in those tools. Using the same 350 on a 6.8 vs. a 6.5 Grendel can't possibly be hitting in the mid point unless it was sheer luck.

Since the whole shoulder will be bumped XXX 0.000's it really doesn't matter where we measure but the approximate mid point is much easier to visualize.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterI've been known to use a 357/9 MM case in a pinch for relative comparisons on sizing.

Greg

^^^^^yup. Same concept as using the bullet comparator. The actual base to datum line numbers by these methods won't match up with other folks but that is irrelevant. They will give you an accurate measurement of change in headspace on fired vs sized cases. 0.004 headspace with this method is the same as 0.004 headspace as measured with an actual headspace gauge.

LOL. Why do we talk? We could write the same book. You aren't a long lost twin to me are you?
thumbup.gif

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI don't have a 300 comparator, the kit I got only goes down to 330.

You can also use sizing bushings if you have th right platform..just sayin'..lol

In reality using one or the other is good because you know the datum point is rarely actually used in those tools. Using the same 350 on a 6.8 vs. a 6.5 Grendel can't possibly be hitting in the mid point unless it was sheer luck.

Since the whole shoulder will be bumped XXX 0.000's it really doesn't matter where we measure but the approximate mid point is much easier to visualize.

Greg

Bingo. I only use 2 index points on these cases due to the 6.8 die does not size that small portion of the shoulder on the 6x6.8 case. It allows for me to get that new portion of shoulder much closer to where it should be once fired in the chamber. I also like it because I setup my bushing to give a false shoulder for 0.001 or so crush on new cases. Its really not needed but on my new sea/nosler brass, they are almost 0.010 shorter headspace than the fired cases in the 6x6.8. This gives my OCD a bit of security in that I'm forming the shoulder not the web to this chamber.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterLOL. Why do we talk? We could write the same book. You aren't a long lost twin to me are you?
thumbup.gif

Greg

Haha. Could have been in a past life! I'm very much a tinkerer and I don't always have the funds to buy the "proper tools" so as they say, "necessity is the mother of invention"

Last edited:
I'm a firm believer in using inexpensive solutions to problems. When I got my first 6 PPC AR I discovered that a 7.62X39 case did a great job on setting the shoulder bump.

Greg

Back