FN Mauser info

semncaller

I came across a coupe of FN mauser rifles in an estate auction. I had a chance to look them over yesterday and the auction is on Sunday. Both are FN mauser rifles, serial numbers on the barrel matches the serial number on the receiver. Both are inn good shape with good blueing, good bores and no rust. They do slow some wear on the stocks and the bolts from use but overall they are in nice shape.

The 1st is a 1952 manufacture chambered in 220 swift with an old weaver scope.

The 2nd is a 1953 manufacture. Again the serial numbers on the barrel and receiver match but the only marking on the barrel that might indicate caliber reads 7.0 MB? This gun also has a custom stock with the previous owners initials set into it.
Any ideas on what the caliber might be?

Any info on either of these guns including what the values might be would be appreciated.

Last edited:
7mm Mashburn Magnum or some other propriety cartridge. What does the caliber appear to be, bigger than a 7mm or smaller. It might have been rebored after burning out the original. Reboring was quite popular and was a lot more inexpensive than rebarreling 40-50 years ago. A chamber cast will tell all.

These were very good actions, many customs were built on them in the day, Browning used them for their first Safari Model rifles. My uncle built a 270 Win on and slue critters around the world, he was an author and wrote books on whitetail hunting, and articles for outdoor mags, invented the first successful pheasant call.

Last edited:
7mm Mashburn is one I hadn't heard of, had to look it up. That could be a possibility. I didn't get a good enough look at the chamber to know if it looked bigger or smaller than a 7 mag. The marking intrigued me and I figured it might go for a low price being that the auction company has it listed as "unknown caliber" For the right price it would always make a good start for a rifle build.

Modern rifleman only think of Ackley for improved/wildcat cartridges but there were a plethora of cartridge wildcatters, Kilborn, Gibbs, Mashburn, Titus to name a few common ones.

Back