What do you use when yourun out of H4350?

Originally Posted By: bc83I use RL 17 seems to work pretty good

This and Accurate 4350, IMR 4350. I'm down to the bottom of the jug and no powder to be found. Got a new barrel on a rifle and figure I had better find a good replacement thats on the shelves. Just not sure what to buy. Several others that will work too!

I've used A 4350 with outstanding accuracy in 7mm-08, 6.5 creedmoor, and 260. But I don't get the speed it seems like you can with the H version. It could just be my lot number.

H4350 is in stock at Midsouth if you want to mail order some.

4451 would be my second choice for LR shooting. Good temp stability, but it seems to hit pressures a hair short of H-4350 velocities for me.

Originally Posted By: skb2706IMR 4350 is solid in my .260 but its the only thing I run in my .300 win mag

This and 4451. Luckily my shop had some in stock, so picked up 10# of 4250, so should be good for a while

Hopefully someone at the NRA will talk to Trump and have someone look into what is the bottle neck and limiting supply, while he is there..

There has to be some non-sense red tape somewhere causing issues.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZHopefully someone at the NRA will talk to Trump and have someone look into what is the bottle neck and limiting supply, while he is there..

There has to be some non-sense red tape somewhere causing issues.

I talked with a reloading store owner yesterday about why H4350 is so hard to get. His reply was the USA use to get three containers of powder from Hodgdon. This was a large amount of powder. For some reason, they(whoever they are) said it was unsafe to ship that much powder on one ship, so they cut it back to one container per shipment. I'm assuming one shipment per year, (not sure about that either,) but the one shipment is to supply all the USA dealers and the small amount of H4350 goes really fast. Truth? Or just a wild azz guess? IDK either.

Thx.. Did some searching and this is what i found. Of course it was red tape put in place by those that are supposed to work for us and not against us.

In an Explosives Industry Newsletter issued in June 2016, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (“ATF”) reclassified wetted nitrocellulose containing greater than 12.6 percent nitrogen as a high explosive under the federal explosives laws.
As explained below, this is a dramatic and sudden change in agency policy with a significant impact on the ammunition industry. The new policy was announced in a newsletter without any opportunity for industry input.
I. Background
The federal explosives laws, 18 U.S.C. Chapter 40, regulate commerce in “explosive materials.” The term “explosive materials” is defined as explosives, blasting agents, and detonators. The term “explosives” is defined as any chemical compound mixture or device the primary or common purpose of which is to function by explosion. The definition requires ATF to publish an annual list of explosives that fit within the statutory definition. The 2015 List of Explosives is available at https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-201...2015-26994.pdf.
Exemptions from the requirements of the federal explosives laws are provided, in pertinent part, for: (1) the transportation, shipment, receipt, or importation of explosive materials for delivery to any federal or State agency; (2) for small arms ammunition and components thereof; and (3) for the manufacture under the regulation of the U.S. military of explosive materials for their official use.
The term “ammunition” is defined in 27 C.F.R. § 555.11 as follows:
“Small arms ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or smokeless propellants designed for use in small arms, including percussion caps, and 3/32 inch and other external burning pyrotechnic hobby fuses. The term does not include black powder.”
ATF’s longstanding position is that the small arms ammunition exemption applies only to .50 caliber or smaller rifle or handgun ammunition as well as certain shotgun ammunition. This position is clear in a June 2013 Explosive Industry Newsletter addressing exploding ammunition.
ATF also exempts other components of small arms ammunition from the requirements of the law and regulations, but only if such components are listed in the definition of “ammunition” in 27 C.F.R. § 555.11. This means that smokeless powder and primers are exempt from record keeping and storage requirements. However, other explosive materials used to manufacture ammunition will not be exempt until incorporated into one of the components of ammunition listed in the regulation, including smokeless powder or a complete round of small arms ammunition. Thus, wetted nitrocellulose containing greater than 12.6 percent nitrogen may be lawfully shipped, transported, or received only by persons holding federal explosives licenses or permits. Nitrocellulose must be recorded in records of acquisition in accordance with 27 C.F.R. § 555.123(b). The wetted nitrocellulose must also be recorded in the daily summary of magazine transactions required by 27 C.F.R. 555.127 and stored in storage magazines meeting the construction, tables of distance, and other requirements of storage regulations in 27 C.F.R. Part 555. At the point the nitrocellulose is incorporated into smokeless powder or a complete round of ammunition, it is exempt from the requirements of the record keeping, storage, and other requirements of federal law and regulations.
Read the rest of the article: http://www.ammoland.com/2016/08/atf-...-federal-laws/

So that makes more sense.. produced ammo, OK, Containers full of powder are now Explosives not propellants and that makes a difference.

Just one more Odummer Chit regulation that was changed without following the proper process of review and input.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZThx.. Did some searching and this is what i found. Of course it was red tape put in place by those that are supposed to work for us and not against us.

In an Explosives Industry Newsletter issued in June 2016, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (“ATF”) reclassified wetted nitrocellulose containing greater than 12.6 percent nitrogen as a high explosive under the federal explosives laws.
As explained below, this is a dramatic and sudden change in agency policy with a significant impact on the ammunition industry. The new policy was announced in a newsletter without any opportunity for industry input.
I. Background
The federal explosives laws, 18 U.S.C. Chapter 40, regulate commerce in “explosive materials.” The term “explosive materials” is defined as explosives, blasting agents, and detonators. The term “explosives” is defined as any chemical compound mixture or device the primary or common purpose of which is to function by explosion. The definition requires ATF to publish an annual list of explosives that fit within the statutory definition. The 2015 List of Explosives is available at https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-201...2015-26994.pdf.
Exemptions from the requirements of the federal explosives laws are provided, in pertinent part, for: (1) the transportation, shipment, receipt, or importation of explosive materials for delivery to any federal or State agency; (2) for small arms ammunition and components thereof; and (3) for the manufacture under the regulation of the U.S. military of explosive materials for their official use.
The term “ammunition” is defined in 27 C.F.R. § 555.11 as follows:
“Small arms ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or smokeless propellants designed for use in small arms, including percussion caps, and 3/32 inch and other external burning pyrotechnic hobby fuses. The term does not include black powder.”
ATF’s longstanding position is that the small arms ammunition exemption applies only to .50 caliber or smaller rifle or handgun ammunition as well as certain shotgun ammunition. This position is clear in a June 2013 Explosive Industry Newsletter addressing exploding ammunition.
ATF also exempts other components of small arms ammunition from the requirements of the law and regulations, but only if such components are listed in the definition of “ammunition” in 27 C.F.R. § 555.11. This means that smokeless powder and primers are exempt from record keeping and storage requirements. However, other explosive materials used to manufacture ammunition will not be exempt until incorporated into one of the components of ammunition listed in the regulation, including smokeless powder or a complete round of small arms ammunition. Thus, wetted nitrocellulose containing greater than 12.6 percent nitrogen may be lawfully shipped, transported, or received only by persons holding federal explosives licenses or permits. Nitrocellulose must be recorded in records of acquisition in accordance with 27 C.F.R. § 555.123(b). The wetted nitrocellulose must also be recorded in the daily summary of magazine transactions required by 27 C.F.R. 555.127 and stored in storage magazines meeting the construction, tables of distance, and other requirements of storage regulations in 27 C.F.R. Part 555. At the point the nitrocellulose is incorporated into smokeless powder or a complete round of ammunition, it is exempt from the requirements of the record keeping, storage, and other requirements of federal law and regulations.
Read the rest of the article: http://www.ammoland.com/2016/08/atf-...-federal-laws/

So that makes more sense.. produced ammo, OK, Containers full of powder are now Explosives not propellants and that makes a difference.

Just one more Odummer Chit regulation that was changed without following the proper process of review and input.

I don't believe that ever actually took place. It was proposed but then no action was taken.

I also don't believe Obama had anything to do with it.

I don't own a 260 but I wonder how H100v would work? Anyone here try it in a 260?

In my 243 with 105's I switched fron H4350 to H100v because it outperformed 4350 for both accuracy and Velocity. Meters like water and burns clean.

Back