Best rifle scope for 7mm Rem Mag?

Acronin

I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 on my 700 Long Range in 7mm magnum. I love the rifle scope. I actually have two of them, but I want to get something new because the eye relief is not very comfortable compared to the recoil on the rifle. Maybe I'm a puss, but it makes me think about it every time I pull the trigger and that can't be good for my shooting.

Any thoughts on scopes $500 or below. I would like at least a 16x power because of long mule deer shots we have here in Nebraska. I'm selling the vortex and would like to have a replacement soon.

thanks,

The VX-2 would be pretty decent too. However I would go with the better glass (VX-3i). In the long run, better glass will trump higher magnification.

How far do you plan to shoot?

If eye relief is an issue you will have to make sure that whatever you buy that the top end eye relief will work. A lot of scopes above 12x the eye relief shortens up.

My Nikon monarch 4x16 has a very noticeable shorten eye relief as you get to the top end, it's on a 22-250 with a blackhawk adjustable stock. Without the quick adjustable stock getting a consistent cheek weld takes several seconds on 400 yard + shots. Can only guess fit issues much more critical playing at 1000 yard. Having a price point limit will be a problem(for most of us).

Have thought about this scope for my 7mm.
Sightron stac 30mm 3-16+42 moa reticle. Mpn 26013 can find these for 450 new and they have eye relief 3.8-4.1 inches

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spotstalkshoot

Have thought about this scope for my 7mm.
Sightron stac 30mm 3-16+42 moa reticle. Mpn 26013 can find these for 450 new and they have eye relief 3.8-4.1 inches

I have the 4-20 version and have no complaints so far. Good eye relief too.

The last time I had a "long Mule Deer" shot it was under 600 yards and then we closed that to under 300 yds.... good guide and I was in good shape back then..... by the time I shot, the buck was at 325 and the .270 Browning B 78 did its job with a 4x12-42 Leupold scope (set at 8 power)and a Hornady Custom box load 140 gr BTSP round... DRT, forward chest cavity was a soupy mess.

I am not being a smart [beeep] but perhaps a good mid power scope and some good stalking tactics even in the wide open of Nebraska would put meat on the ground.

Just an old mans thoughts.

Huntschool: without a doubt you are correct. Private ground and public, I could work on my stalking skills. I have a buddy that hunts with me and we have stalked antelope to within 350yds. Should be able to do that on a mulie. The only issue I have sometimes is that they can be quite sneaky and disappear to never be seen again. Maybe it's my poor hunting ability, but if I had to, I'd like to be able to pull a longer shot off. I probably never will unless I shoot so much a 600yd shot feels typical.

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. I know it's a tall order for what I'm asking. I think I'll try the VX-2 6-18x40 and then put a muzzle break on my rifle.

Currently have a VX2 6-18x40 CDS mounted on a 6.5CM mountain rifle and so far the scope has been 100% mechanically / tracking. Glass in excellent also. I plan to move it over to a varmint rifle to be able to really test the turrets. Being that the VX2's do not use the TSES for their turrets I want to get a good feel for their reliability before committing it to a big game rifle.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshoot Leupold phone rep told me vx2 cds uses the tbses(twin bias spring)

He told you wrong. If you need real tech support talk to custom shop.

im in the same boat as i have recently picked up a used Savage 111 7mm Rem Mag...it a package rifle with the cruddy Bushnell Sportview and pot metal scope rings...im leary to even mount it on a 22lr let alone a 7mm...that said im alittle torn between wanting a scope that i can use for long range target, and a lower powered scope for normal hunting ranges out to 300yds +/-
i think the vx6 3-18 is the most flexible choice, but its way out of my price range...id like to be around $500 or less and will still need rings.

I love the viper PST. I shoot one on an STW in a 4X16. I was going to put a straight 6x. I don't shoot the STW often as it is over kill. But I did shoot a ton of Rock Chuck's last year with it just to prove I could. Model 70 lightweight barrel outfit fun to carry but too light to see the impact's. I have turned the knobs a lot! No worries. I crawl the stock but hold it like a snake. I haven't had any eye relief issues. I shoot the Viper PST on a 6.5x47 Lapua, 17 Tactical, and the 7STW. I run it on 10x all the time unless I am sighting in and need to try to look for the impacts wich I never see.

Leupold tends to have long and forgiving eye relief compared to other scopes. However, scopes are a compromise. 1,000 yard targets, 600 yard deer, presumably 100 yard deer, and not whack you in the face is not possible. You can get something like the Bushnell 6500 that has a huge magnification range, but the eye relief on the top end while probably bite you.

Why not shoot the gun at reasonable hunting ranges, say 400 yards, and get a 2-7, 2.5-10, or 3-9? Then get a 6.5 CM with a 1 million x target scope to play sniper at the range...

The long range hunting epidemic is becoming a plague...

Back