Illuminated dot optic recommendation

el_cazador713

Recently purchased a CZ 527 in 221 fireball that I'll be using to predator hunt. Typical shots would be less than 100 yards. Wanting a illuminated dot optic, probably 3x9 or 3x12 with 42 - 50mm objective. I've been looking at Leupold VX-R, Sig Whiskey 3, and Vortex. Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

If I were scoping that rifle for close in predator hunting, I'd be looking at 1-4x20, 1.5-6x20/30, 2-7x32/36 or 2.5-10x40. Under 200 yards FOV out trumps X's everyday in my opinion, I find a min. of a 40' FOV to work well for called predators and 60' even better.. As far as large objectives, pretty much useless, if you are calling and can see a coyote coming with your naked eye you WILL see him in you scope. If you are sitting watching a dead pile through your scope at first light a large objective might give your a few more minutes of shooting time this is based on equal quality of glass/coatings in each scope.

Not very experienced at this sport yet, but with one season under my belt I've already found myself in a couple situations where I was over-scoped with even a 3-9... so I agree with AWS. This optic will give you 72.2 ft FOV at 100yd on the low end up, 13.2ft FOV @ 100yd on high end.

I have a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x50 with the illuminated dot reticle. I like it over some others simply because I can dial it down enough that the illuminated dot doesn't cause problems for me being able to "see" with it on..
I don't know a better way to explain it.

Originally Posted By: RahlowI have a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x50 with the illuminated dot reticle. I like it over some others simply because I can dial it down enough that the illuminated dot doesn't cause problems for me being able to "see" with it on...
.. +1 .. have this scope on top my T/C Venture 22-250, same reasons.. V-Brite reticle

I understand the ability to dial down the dot, I had a Bushnell Elite 4200 1.25-4x24mm that the dot was too bright and would make seeing past it in low light tough it worked great in daylight, It has been the only one with that problem for me. My go to Ill. dot reticle is on a Alpen XP 1.5-6x42 it is the perfect scope and like just about anything I find that is perfect it is discontinued.

Last edited:
I love my VXR 1X4X20. The red dot can be made brighter or dimmer as needed. Love the way the red dot comes into aiming so quickly, like on a running target. The only thing I might complain about is some times when it is VERY cold out the dot may or may not stay on, but it does not bother me as the cross hairs are sorta heavy and can be picked up even in very dim light, some times I just use the cross hairs. I find I leave my power setting at about 3.5 or 4. I have'nt changed it in a couple years now. Seems like when I use my 3X10 scope I always have it set to high when I need it and cant find my coyote. Ha! Glass is very clear as good as any I have tryed in low light as well. Oh and I have shot coyotes all the way out to 280 yds. with no problem, plenty of scope.

I run an Leupold Mark AR mod-1, 1.5-4x20 FireDot on a Rock River R-3 , and a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 mil-dot on a Rock River Predator Pursuit. Both of these scopes are outstanding, but I really like the Firedot. The Leupolds both dial in right on the money every time. Good luck on whatever you decide to buy.

Thanks for the input gents. I'm thinking a 2-10x with a 42mm objective. This gives me the plain of view requirements plus good light capture and magnification for a long poke if needed. Any ideas of good 2x10x42 scopes with an illuminated dot?

I don't know the difference you would "see" between 2x10 and 3x9, but I would recommend the Vortex line of Scopes,

Last edited:
I have an EOTech EXPS3-4 HWS (Hollow Graphic Weapons System) with 1 moa sized red dots. There are four of these red dots in a vertical column. The red dot's light can be adjusted to bright and dim. And even dimmer for use with NIGHT VISION EQUIPMENT. I have a EOTech Flip to the Side Quick Release G-33 3x magnifier that I place in front of the HWS to magnify the image for distance shooting up to about 200 to 300 yards. But for close in shooting (under 50 yards and up to point blank range at night) I flip the magnifier out of the light path and just look though the EXPS3-4 unit.

I tried using my Nikon and or Full Field II scopes but found that at night even with a bright light on top of the scopes that the field of view was way too limiting. It was like trying to look though a soda straw to see where I was going at night while driving down the highway at 30 mph. Not good.

At night I found that field of view is key even with good artificial lighting used. Night time vision is very different and in order to see the predator coming in you need a very wide field of view scope. If I were to use a 42 mm Objective it would have to have a 1-4 power not anything over 3X would be useful where I hunt. And if you hunt in the woods or in brush or other cover the wider the field of view the better is even more important. But I was out in a field with no tree's and only some tall grass in spots. And with the 4x9 variable powered Nikon M223 scope I felt like the FOV was way too restrictive even at 4x. Which is why I decided to go with the EOTech system. It's called their HS1 system. And even with the changing Zero with extreme temperatures the EOTech is my favorite optics system. I zero the gun at the temperature that I intend to shoot at so to negate the problem with the changing zero with extreme changes in air temperature. If I keep the EXPS3-4 inside and only use it at 70 deg F outside it's not going to change it's zero. And If I zero it at 32 deg F and keep it cooled to 32 deg F the zero won't change. It only changes significantly if you zero it at 100 deg F and go shoot it at 20 Deg F without re-zeroing the unit again at the lower temp.

And even a 4 MOA change in zero at 40 yards is not enough change to effect the effectiveness of the EOTech system at short range as it's FOV is absolutely incredible. You shoot with both eye's wide open so you see all that's going on in front of you by about 140 Deg.

Last edited:
I recently purchased an AR15, I started with the Bushnell TRS25. Was not really pleased with it. My son says it because I am so used to "point scoring scopes". Lol. Maybe so.
Anyway, I bought Vortex Spitfire. I'm more satisfied with it, dont think its much over a 75-100 yard optic. The best feature is the etched reticle,you don'thave to illuminate it.

Back