NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

I know there is some question. I'm tellin ya. #4s will work way out. I've seen what the BB/4.5mm will do to hogs at 80yds. 3.28mm on yotes will work at distance.

Had a dream last night about paterning my new Remington V3. It patterned quite well with factory chokes in my dream. Here's to hoping reality is just as sweet
laugh.gif

I don't know if the V3 uses the Remington pro bore chokes or not. I have a Versa Max and have been using a Cabelas Northern flight midrange choke with the Winchester Varmint x shells and at 40 yards I have been getting great patterns. They are about 20 inches wide and the pellets are very well spaced. Actually I've never had any shell pattern near as well as these. I tried them with my Benneli Super Nova with a Carlson Buck Shot choke and they held a good pattern to 50 yards. That seems a little far with lead BBs but the guys on TV claim they do it. Myself I've never tried BB beyond 40 yards

From what I've read, the V3 uses standard Rem chokes. It comes with Imp Cyl, Modified, and Full. I bought two different types of shells to pattern with: Rem Express Mag 3" #4 Buck and Winchester Varmint-X 3" BB. I have heard/read good things about the Varmint-X for 40yd and under. I'm hoping one of the two will work.

Originally Posted By: MatlockFrom what I've read, the V3 uses standard Rem chokes. It comes with Imp Cyl, Modified, and Full. I bought two different types of shells to pattern with: Rem Express Mag 3" #4 Buck and Winchester Varmint-X 3" BB. I have heard/read good things about the Varmint-X for 40yd and under. I'm hoping one of the two will work.

I have the Rem #4, and will probably pick up some Federal 3" BB (P158BB) at kygunco if they are still there. Post patterns when you get a chance.

Last edited:
First patterning out of my new Remington V3 Field Sport this past weekend. Conditions were excellent for late summer day here in Idaho: low 70's and a variable headwind of about 7-10mph.

I used DAA's recent TSS shotgunning articles as a guideline for how to mark my patterns. The numbers show hits within 10" circle, hits on approximately 2'x2' paper, and number of pellets in the load.

These were literally the first 4 shots fired out of this gun, so I know I have a lot more patterning work to do. All shots were fired from a rest at approximately 40 paces/yards using Rem factory full choke and Rem #4 buck.

Any comments/feedback appreciated.

Originally Posted By: GCYour point of impact seems to be erratic... You have an optic on the gun?

It takes a lot of focus and concentration to get a consistent point of impact at 40 yards without a solid optic.

Yes, I was wondering about that myself. That could have been just as much me as maybe other factors. Not sure that it makes a bit of difference, but these were the first four shots fired out of the gun. I don't have an optic on it, just using the factory twin bead sights. I'm hoping to get out this weekend or next and do some more patterning. I picked up a used Remington Turkey Super Full Extended choke to try. Constriction is .062" (.665" inside diameter).

Last edited:
Make sure you have a solid rest and consistent cheek weld. If you're not flinching and pulling shots, I suspect you're a little squiggly behind the rib.

Edit: If you haven't done so, make sure your barrel and chokes are squeaky clean. Clean that factory gunk out.

Last edited:
Now why would you go saying a thing like that... it was likely me
smile.gif
I'll make sure the barrel and chokes are clean, err I mean squeaky clean. I appreciate the feedback.

Originally Posted By: MrHedgeHogFabulous thread! I've read every post in it, and am now in the process of doing a patterning of my new 12 gauge based on everything I have learned here. I've got 40 yards pretty well locked in, and I am trying to work up from there. Details and pics will follow in a week or so, when I have tested more loads and chokes. Meanwhile, I have put together the following. Thanks for all your work.

Seventeen Lessons I've Learned From Reading This Thread
1.) Claims of consistent 60+ yard shotgun patterns cannot usually be confirmed, so keep your expectations realistic.
2.) The 60+ yard claims are probably due to a lucky shot or an inaccurate measurement by pacing, rather than a more formal measurement method.
3.) A true 40 yards is probably farther away than you think.
4.) For the average guy, consistency (5 or more pellets in an 8" circle) at an honest, measured 40 yards is a good initial goal, with 50 yards being the stretch goal.
5.) There is no substitute for hands-on patterning of your own firearm, using a variety of loads/chokes/distances
6.) Be SAFE and consistent in your approach, using the same shooting position, backing and targets, and retain all patterns for study and verification.
7.) Lead pellets are the "old reliable;" steel and non-toxic are newer and more expensive.
8.) Steel is lighter weight than lead; non-toxic is usually (but not always) heavier than lead. Heavier is better.
9.) A good test of patterning to get you in the ballpark would be 3 or 4 different chokes at ranges from 25, 40, 50 and (possibly) 60 yards, using 4 different loads
10.) A good selection of loads for testing would be BB, T, #4 buck and 00 buck, listed from smallest reasonable pellet size to the largest.
11.) Note that the T is non-toxic "Hevi-Shot" and the BB may be copper plated lead. This gives you the opportunity for variation in your testing.
12.) Despite its easy availability, 00 buck is probably too big/too few pellets to qualify. If the loads you want to test aren’t available locally, you will need to order your shells online for delivery.
13.) An unusually good pattern should be confirmed with two more shots. It might have been a fluke.
14.) A recipe for 40 yard consistency should be relatively easy if you follow the above. Fifty yards and beyond is more art than science.
15.) If you find 2 or 3 load/choke/distance combinations that are about equal in consistency, do density testing on those by shooting at thick catalogs.
16.) For your "go-to" load, choose the best combination that also penetrates the most pages of a catalog.
17.) If you follow the above, you can take to the field in confidence and good conscience, knowing that you are prepared for any situation (including NOT taking the shot.)

I read the first 10 pages or so of this thread, then skipped forward to page 40 and have been working my way to the end. This summary is golden, really pulling together most of what I've read and summarizing it as a how-to go out in the field and be successful. Can't wait to get back out there in the next couple weekends and do some more patterning.

Behind the 8 ball but i have not had much time!

Got out last night to do some patterning with some "T" shot because i have a bunch and have not bit the bullet for some TSS yet !!! lol

Is there any thing here that is worth giving a shot? I'm really a newbie here as far as shotgunning coyotes goes. I only shot a couple rounds with 4 different chokes and every thing was shot @ 40yds, These are a 3" buffered load of T shot.

P9.jpg

P8.jpg

P7.jpg

P6.jpg

P5.jpg

P4.jpg

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

Originally Posted By: GCLooks pretty thin for 3" T's @ 40 yards...

That's my thoughts also !! I also tried a Pattern Master tube a couple week ago and it was not any better
frown.gif

Would slowing the speed down a touch help any?

Any suggestions ?

Back