Best DRT .243 Bullet Non Fur Friendly

vetman1

What is the best .243 bullet for planting dogs right where you shoot them? I am probably looking at majority of shots being 450 yards or less and most being much closer. Our woods are thick and we often hunt narrow roads so tracking at night is almost impossible.

I hunt in Georgia so keeping fur is not an option. All my research so far on the forum talk about bullets that are fur friendly.

Along those lines, best choice if not others between the Nosler ballistic tip, Nosler varmageddon, or the V-Max but I am open to other bullet as well.

Of those 3 you mentioned imho the nosler is the tougher bullet,so my vote goes to the nosler.i use the 55gr bt. myself for whistlepigs.another good bullet ive had good luck with is the sierra 85gr gameking.just my 2 cents...

When I could use lead bullets I really liked the 75 gr V-Max bullets out of my 243 Win. Nothing sounds better than a 75 gr V-Max hitting a coyote.

Just curious, has anyone ever used a bullet in the .243 that wasn't consistent DRT? I sure haven't. Sixes are hammers on coyote.

- DAA

If I want to cut one in half i run the 30-378 Wby Mag. Its like running a buzz saw. Very messy.

With a 243 I like the 70 or 80 grain NBT or 87 grain V max.

I use the 87 VMAX in my 243 and it plants them as consistently as anything I have ever shot a coyote with.

Having said that, there is absolute truth in what DAA says. 243 is gonna plant them with pretty much any bullet.

One of my favorite posters here on PM quit posting years ago (Sleddogg). He called it "The 243 Affect". There are a bunch of different bullets that will produce apocalyptic affects on coyotes if you are not worried about pelt damage. My advice would be to concentrate on finding the bullet that shoots the most accurate in your gun and then go hunting. The Nosler BT Varmint bullets in the 70g grain and 80 grain can produce terminal damage that will staple a coyote where it stands and I have had great luck with easily finding an accurate load recipe with them. The Vmax in the 65g,75g, and 87g will also produce horrific results. Sierra BKs, Speer TNT, and the list goes on...

How massive the terminal damage has much to do with what the bullet impacts with. If you hit a rib or a shoulder you can get grapefruit size exits, but if the bullet passes through without hitting a bone you will still get a a VERY dead coyote but the exit would will likely be much smaller.

I have a load ive worked up for my ruger KT varmint with a 27 1/2 in barrel 53 gr h380 with nosler 55 gr bts.they shoot just under 4300ftps.Group in the 3" range at 500 meters.Last yote i shot with this load looked like a pile of torn up fur.My buddy shot a skunk at 300 yds and the biggest piece of fur was less than 1 sq in.

Originally Posted By: Kino MI'm running 105 Amax and it's devastating and they act like they got struck by lightning.

Hmmm.......I just loaded a fresh 50 rounds of 105 A-Max with 40.8 gr of H4350 running close to 3000 fps. I might have to test them on a coyote.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobWhen I could use lead bullets I really liked the 75 gr V-Max bullets out of my 243 Win. Nothing sounds better than a 75 gr V-Max hitting a coyote.

I've shot coyotes with the 75 gr. V-Max that looked as if I tried to fillet them with a chainsaw. Hit the shoulder or spine at a sharp angle and it's a mess. They're not going anywhere that's for sure. But there are so many good tear 'em up bullets in 6mm that it'd be hard to go wrong with about anything short of an FMJ.

I used 95gr Berger classics last season. Gut shot one at 250 at night. I expected a long tracking job. When I made it to where he was standing he hadn't take a step. Out of my 243 I'm pushing these very hard. But I like the lack of tracking.

Back