Ruger tang safety 220 swift help

sigpros

I have a buddy, (no really I do) that has a tang safety 220 swift. This guy knows guns and isn't a rube. Has tried 3 different leupold scopes and can't get it zeroed. Says its high and to the right about a foot each way. Any ideas? Bad barrel?

Need more info. Is the rifle new to him? Did it shoot good at one time? New scope, mounts, or any changes that have been made recently? Ammo used and barrel twist rate (assuming it's 1 in 14)?

He's had it a couple years but never shot it. When he tried to sight it in is when he discovered the issue. Ill find out what rings he's using.

FWIW, I bought a Savage/Stevens 223 and it had the same problem. It shot extremely high and right. I replaced the barrel and it fixed the problem. May be apples to oranges as far as problems go but I will be interested in hearing about the Ruger. A little more information about the Ruger might help.

That's going to be a tough problem to fix on a Ruger with their proprietary ring system. Apparently something is machined out of whack. Usually I'd recommend Burris Signature rings and use the offset inserts for something like this but I don't think they make them for the Ruger. But I do recall seeing an adapter that goes from Ruger mount to a picatinny rail somewhere. That coupled with the Signature rings might get him going.

So I talked to him last night. Guess he put a brand new leupold on still doing the same thing. He said it will shoot 5 shots into a quarter at 200 yards just way high. So he had the rear ring milled down 25 thousands. Said it was a little too much having another one milled down 15 thousands. Guess we will see

Every Ruger tang safety that I have owned had the barrel resting on the wood stock.
Really easy to fix with a shim.

Back