NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

Originally Posted By: Duane davenportHow far into jell would be typical pass though on a coyote? Say a 35 pound one.

I don't know how much gel penetration would be a pass through on coyotes.

With the KPY Shotshell Ballistic Software they recommend 1.50" of gel penetration for ducks and 2.50" of gel penetration for big geese.

I do know that I shot lots of 20 to 35 pound coyotes coyotes with lead BB shot when I could shoot lead shot at coyotes. At 40 to 45 yards if the shot angle wasn't perfect I had to shoot the coyotes more than once quite often. At under 40 yards the lead BB shot worked much better. The loads I used then were 3" 1-7/8 oz loads and they may not have been doing 1200 fps.

1200 fps lead BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 40.8 yards

1300 fps lead BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 46.1 yards

1300 fps Rem HD BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 68.7 yards

I came up with 3.70" of gel penetration for coyotes because I know that coyotes are much tougher to stop, kill or break down than a big goose is.

The gel they use is some pretty tough stuff. By adding 1" of penetration to the 3.70" making it 4.70" the Rem HD BB 1300 fps pellet penetration goes from 68.7 yards to 34.1 yards.

I stopped believing in bb ( lead) after shooting at one on ice with snow could see the pattern just cover it . broadside shot . about 35 yds. Then again my buddy shot one around 50 yds with same type bb it dropped . straight on shot ,just the way it goes . I like the 4.7" jell. It was fun watching it spin out on the ice.

Is there some kind of adjustment on the software for how far the wad goes before release or shot or for dented shot ? I shere would like to see that flight control wad in slow motion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Duane davenportI stopped believing in bb ( lead) after shooting at one on ice with snow could see the pattern just cover it . broadside shot . about 35 yds. Then again my buddy shot one around 50 yds with same type bb it dropped . straight on shot ,just the way it goes . I like the 4.7" jell. It was fun watching it spin out on the ice.

A good center dense pattern of lead BB is a very reliable killer on broadside coyotes at 35 yards. There is something more going on with your bad experience than you realize. The fact you said you saw the pattern cover the coyote is a strong clue.

Originally Posted By: Duane davenportIf you would , please. Could you run Ni.coated F buck for 4.7" jell . 15.6 gr. .218"
Maybe one at 1190fps,1250fps and1350 fps. I got 16 lbs. Of if nice to know.

This is at 32 degrees at 800 ft elevation
These are all Nickel plated lead F buckshot
1190 fps 4.70" of gel penetration at 46.2 yards.
1190 fps 3.70" of gel penetration at 76.6 yards.
1350 fps 4.70" of gel penetration at 56.2 yards.
1350 fps 3.70" of gel penetration at 86.3 yards.

The KPY results for lead shot look better than they really are. KPY gets it's results based off of pellets that stay round. Since lead shot deforms some on set back and starts to flatten out when it hits something it will not penetrate as deep as the same density pellet that stays round on impact.

You got that right .I am amazed how tough some of these coyote's are and how far they flat out run. Thank you for numbers . and my broughdside bb shot was a fixed choke barrel.

Originally Posted By: Duane davenportLike to find some 12-15 cc weight t buck you guys know where to get any?

Bucks Run Sports Supply has HW13 BB and T shot that is right at 12g/cc. You have to call them. 1-507-356-2195

Originally Posted By: Duane davenportYou got that right .I am amazed how tough some of these coyote's are and how far they flat out run. Thank you for numbers . and my broughdside bb shot was a fixed choke barrel.

What choke constriction? Did you pattern the gun/load combination beforehand?

TSS bb 12.5 gr. 2 oz. Load 70 bbs. 1200 fps. Think that may be a pass though load ? How about running away shot ?
Maybe 10" jell at 40 yds.
I don't see any hevi or TSS load data that heavy (2 oz.) Can ya get 1200 fps with 31/2" 12 ga. Shell.? With tss

There is no reason to go with bigger pellets than what are needed to get the job done. Having a higher pellet count is very important

TSS # 2 shot maybe to big, TSS #3 shot would work great and TSS #4 shot maybe the perfect size for coyotes.

All of the loads below are at 1200 fps and weigh 1-1/2 oz.

TSS BB shot, 3.70" of gel penet at 166 yards, 47 pellets
TSS #2 shot, 3.70" of gel penet at 108 yards, 81 pellets
TSS #3 shot, 3.70" of gel penet at 89 yards, 100 pellets
TSS #4 shot, 3.70" of gel penet at 72 yards, 124 pellets

I like the looks of TSS #3 shot if there is such a thing. More than enough penetration and a high pellet count.

I would much rather shoot the TSS #4 shot than the TSS BB shot at coyotes.

Two come in. Boom the one in the back k goes down other is now going away at 45 yds. Will the #2 break a hip ? Kinda why I am thinking bb. First shell could be ni coated lead f bk , I hunt open feilds a lot .

Back