Is flir ls-xr image quality comparable

igor

Sold my flir 32 and D760. Looking for a scanner with image quality that matches my IR Mark 2. Will the FLIR LS-XR be as good as the IR Mark 2? Thanks

Originally Posted By: igorSold my flir 32 and D760. Looking for a scanner with image quality that matches my IR Mark 2. Will the FLIR LS-XR be as good as the IR Mark 2? Thanks

The short answer is NO. FLIR uses a 17 micron core and the Mark II has a 12 micron BAE core. I have owned several FLIR scanners including the LS-XR and they will get the job done but have very few user adjustable features.

If you want the SAME image quality you will need to go with a Patrol unit from Trijicon.

I have also owned several Pulsar scanning units and when comparing price vs features they are hard to beat compared to a FLIR unit.

Last edited:
I have first hand experience on this. I purchased a Flir LS XR and I'll tell you DO NOT buy the Flir. I was lucky to sell my LS XR within 2 weeks after I bought it. I replaced it with a 300 IR patrol with a team Wendy helmet and Wilcox mount. I give it a two thumbs up. The quality between the IR and the Flir are not even in the same catigory. I could go on but won't
If you'd like you can send me a PM

At this time it looks like the Helion XP50 fits my price point and image quality needs. I expect the image quality to be possibly 3/4 as good as the patrol but about $3000 cheaper. Any thoughts, opinions and experience are welcome. Thanks

Skypup I believe you. That's why I bought a LS XR but truth be known the Flir still does not compare to the IR patrol. I've owned them both and do not receive any compensation from either company and they ( as I have said in an earlier post) are not even in the same league.

Still thinking this over. My thought at this time is to take my IR Mark2 off my hog gun (don't get to use it near as much) and temporarily use it to scan with and purchase the Pulsar Trail XP38 or XP50. Since acquiring the IR Mark2 my flir and d760 have been gathering dust and are now sold. Last 6-7 times out have just scanned and killed with IR on a 6.8spc and have been very effective. Soon I hope to have 2 dedicated thermal sights (one for smaller predators and one for larger critters) and a thermal scanner with close to equivalent optical acuity. Not thrilled about the idea of scanning with the mark2 hanging around my neck but if its a hassel I bet scan and shoot with a good pulsar will work for a little while.

Originally Posted By: igorNot thrilled about the idea of scanning with the mark2 hanging around my neck but if its a hassel I bet scan and shoot with a good pulsar will work for a little while.

You have the scope so I would get the scanner next to complete your hunting setup. I don't see that much advantage with the 12 micron vs the 17 micron core for scanning use. All you really need is detection anyway and then go the Mark II for your best resolution to shoot with.

Another option would be to have the Mark II upgraded to Mark III. You would get the 4 point reticle storage and a Double Lever Larue mount for increased POI repeatability. Just mount the scope on whatever rig you need.

Last edited:
I run my reap as a scanner most of the time. I have a bino strap attached to a piece of pic rail. I mount the reap on there and it's quick off if I need to run it on a gun at some point. Works great.

Here is another option for you. I like using a handle instead of having to hold the unit.

This is a short picatinny rail available from TNVC that is tapped 1/4x20 for tripod mounting. A standard camera handle will screw in also like you see here.

https://tnvc.com/shop/tripod-picatinny-rail-adapter/

7AGmvZ2.jpg

Last edited:
Back