Tick removal : guys check this out !

Pa. Mick

Removing ticks the easy way :
thumbup.gif

After reading the reviews on this & having been deathly sick from Lymes disease myself, save the tick for testing if possible & see your family Dr. for a 21 day dose of doxycycline or another antibiotic, that's my opinion .

Thanks GC

Last edited:
I had to remove one the other day from my boy's leg. They were volunteering at the local cemetery cleaning it up and came home with one.

Did you read the comments? The comments say this will cause the tick to regurgitate into the bite increasing the chance of Lyme disease. I have no idea if that's true or not, just pointing it out.

Originally Posted By: GCDid you read the comments? The comments say this will cause the tick to regurgitate into the bite increasing the chance of Lyme disease. I have no idea if that's true or not, just pointing it out.

That's what I've always read/heard, too, and I believe even the CDC recommends not smothering the tick, but pulling it out as gently as possible. Easier said than done most of the time, though. Once they latch on, it's like pulling out a corn stalk.

Obviously the best scenario is to spray your clothes ahead of time with a little permanone. No tick is the best tick! Other than that, if a guy gets a tick I think it's a crapshoot how to best get one out. Have you guys seen the little oval tick removal disk? It looks promising... but again, I don't know if it's the best option or not. I hate ticks!!!

Originally Posted By: GCObviously the best scenario is to spray your clothes ahead of time with a little permanone. No tick is the best tick! Other than that, if a guy gets a tick I think it's a crapshoot how to best get one out. Have you guys seen the little oval tick removal disk? It looks promising... but again, I don't know if it's the best option or not. I hate ticks!!!

Sawyers all the way! That stuff is like magic.

I've heard a lot of good things about the tick pullers. I was going to order a few different kinds from Amazon and give them a whirl. They're cheap enough.

I also hate ticks. I torch as many as I can.

Another method for removing them is cover with a liquid dish soap for 4-5 minutes. Then rub counterclockwise around them. My sons vet came up with this and I have used this method myself.

I also use permethrin on my clothes.

Last edited:
They are terrible this year. have been out fishing a few times this year and have found at least 5 ticks each trip. I dont always wear the same clothes, so I dont treat my clothes.
Whats the best deterrent you have found?

Found the 1st ticks (4 actually) the 29th of Jan.! In the next 4 weeks I or my wife pulled an additoinal 5 off/out of me. Done some research & went to the local feed store & got 10% permetherine concentrate & diluted it to .5% then soaked all my coyote & turkey hunting outer wear & have not found a single one & this included 5 days in Illinois where it is always lousy with ticks prepping stands for next Nov. & shed hunting.

Up until about 2 or 3 years ago I had never heard of Permethrin until a buddy told me that's what he used. Of course I was skeptical that anything would work. I went onto Amazon and looked up the Sawyer's spray and read many of the reviews. What absolutely sold me was a review from a fellow PA resident.

He said that he went archery hunting with his brother. He'd sprayed his clothes and that his brother did not. When they went back to the truck for lunch, his brother noticed several ticks crawling on his clothes but he did not have any on him. He reached over, grabbed a tick off of his brother's pants leg, and placed it on his leg to see what would happen. He said that the tick ran around in circles for a matter of seconds to a minute and immediately died.

That right there had me sold and I haven't looked back since. I know that I don't have to spray every time that I go out, but if I can't remember the last time that I sprayed my clothes then they get sprayed.

We also get the occasional ant invasion from spring to fall in the house. I've noticed a few recently. I'm going to mix up a batch and go out to spray the foundation and entry ways with the stuff to stop that onslaught.

I don't know if this advice applies to embedded ticks or not, but if you want to get a bunch of ticks off you, and do it quick, put one cup of bleach into a very warm (Not hot) bath, deep enough to lie down and cover everything but your face. Keep all body parts covered for about 5 to 7 minutes, and then let the water out of the tub and take a shower. You'll be tick free then.

Lot of people here claim a spoonful of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar every day will keep them off of you. It doesn't work for everybody but most claim success. Me, I take a shower with dog shampoo and haven't had a tick in many years.

Back