How many of you are using diaphragm calls this year?

CrazyKenley

My best friend and I have been experimenting with various calls, and I can already say that I've had little luck with closed reed calls, whereas diaphragm calls have proven quite handy. Given I purchased a set of three with an accompanying DVD focused on how to use them. I also practice whenever the house is empty. Upon request I can give you all the name of what I got. The single reed and double reed calls are fairly easy to use, whereas the triple has proven quite challenging even after hours of attempts.
Ultimately I learned through persistence over the last few weeks how to do very convincing cat distress, puppy howls, puppy distress and fawn distress.
This evening my friend and I sat on his porch and experimented with diaphragms. He currently only possesses a double reed turkey call, and tried and tried to do puppy distress with it. I'm by no means an expert, but perhaps he needs something more purpose built? It had no cut reeds, but I also think he hasn't relaxed his tongue enough yet because he's still searching for his feel good form, he can't hold a tone quite yet. I, however, used a single reed call to send up some puppy howls that got responses from the local pack.
I've experimented with cut turkey calls to produce cat distress noises that sound incredibly interesting, it was the first sound I felt confident with, in all actuality, and confidence was a major step for me as a caller. My neighbor and I exclusively used his electronic call and decoy the other night for the first twenty minutes of a stand that was producing nothing, and I got bored just watching. I had told him I had my single reed earlier and started in with cat distress. Five minutes later two cows downwind of us start squaring up to the woodline. Whatever came never was seen, but put the pair of cows on alert. This herd has lost a calf to coyotes this year already, so I can only speculate. It was enough to affirm me that I'm doing something right, and the results are pretty neat if you ask me.
What sounds do you guys like using? And what brands?

I build my own. You can get away with using some turkey calls, but for predator calling they need to be purpose built imo. All kinds of variables...latex type, reed stack, reed stretch etc. go into it all.
Mark

007 by Lonehowl, on Flickr

Diaphraghm press:

002 by Lonehowl, on Flickr

FoxPro, have a set of 3, smoking gun, young gun,top gun, all are easy to produce yips,barks & distress howls are not easy for me . I like them all.

I've been keeping the primos sonic dome howler in my cheek at every stand since at one stand fox bang didn't trigger a pup distress. Had I had my diaphragm in my cheek as usual I could have done it myself and maybe ended up with a double

Originally Posted By: GroundPounderFoxPro, have a set of 3, smoking gun, young gun,top gun, all are easy to produce yips,barks & distress howls are not easy for me . I like them all.

Agreed with groundpounder though the fox pro ones sound really good

I always have 3 diaphragm calls on me, 1 always in the mouth.
I use them along with the ecall.
The ones I use are turkey single reed.

I have a set of [beeep]. I can do a pretty ok pup in distress call but I have been used to doing
Bugles for elk so long it's hard for me to get the coyote sounds right. I most of the time end up in an unwanted elk bugle. From habit

Last edited:
I hate how it censors made for killing game calls abbreviated. I guess its our little secret then. I buy too much of them some say

I mainly use diaphragms. However, they're all from the unmentionables here. I like them, they're easy to use, and there's a wide variety of options. It doesn't mean nothing else works, or sounds just as good, it's just if it isn't broke, why fix it?

Two more are headed to me in the mail that I can't wait to try. Really excited to start hunting fox this year.

You should always have one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flambeau-Calls-Predator-MVP-4-Circe-Professional-3-n-1-Each-/201896618788?hash=item2f01f9eb24:g:IjAAAOSw53NY9ni7

this Circe call has one of the best "Coarse" sounding calls I have ever heard, along with a Weems Wild call, Duo-tone that has long been out of production.

I think that you could put a Chimp on a rock and he could call in coyotes with both of these calls, great for first timers and experienced guys can really put some blood on the screems with these calls.

Neither take a lot of wind like an open reed call...less huffing and puffing is a good thing...especially for smokers(I don't smoke).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterI mainly use diaphragms. However, they're all from the unmentionables here. I like them, they're easy to use, and there's a wide variety of options. It doesn't mean nothing else works, or sounds just as good, it's just if it isn't broke, why fix it?

Two more are headed to me in the mail that I can't wait to try. Really excited to start hunting fox this year.

Are you not supposed to mention company names on the forum because of promotions or something?

Good question.

One diaphragm company has been banned from PM. The censor beeps them, but some members persist on trying to get around the censor. When that happens it usually does not end well. The censor is there for a reason.

This is FYI not because you tried to get around the censor.
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: TatonkaIIIs that company a no no to discuss here? Why were they banned? Perhaps you could direct me to a thread...

I'm curious why you feel that would be anyone's business other than that company and the Admin here? I kinda like those guys but I am not aware of all the behind the scenes communications between the people involved. And I don't want to know all that stuff. It doesn't concern me and so it's not my business. That's my take on it. Just curious why you feel you want to poke around in old news and someone else's business?

Not a sore subject at all. They have been banned. End of story. If anyone has a concern with that, then by all means send me a pm with your concerns.

Let's keep this thread on track please.

Back