opinions on a target/hunting scope up to 24 magnification

Roscoehd

Looking for advice on a target/hunting scope. This will go on a 6.5 creedmoor, used for target (400 to 600 yards)& hunting. budget is around $1000. I would like to have a reticle that is fine enough for target shooting but, will still work good for hunting.

Thanks for the advice!

While it may take some searching and comparison time, there should be several on the market that are variable power from 4x and 5x taht will extend into the 24x range without breaking your price ceiling...

Most shooters/hunters experience problems, depending on the type of game when getting over 5x and good shooters can get by with 16x-20x on the high end unless shooting benchrest type precision at 600 yeads...

I would be searching the Vortex, Sightron, Leupold, and Burris lines to start...Personally, I've had good luck with three of the ones listed, with the exception of the Vortex but was impressed with the few that I've looked through and most have excellent warranties and customer service, if needed...

In fact, here is a Burris that just came up on this site..
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...659#Post3065659

Last edited:
Old Turtle gave you some good advice. I'd say save some more money and get a Nightforce. Before you buy anything go and look through them and the different reticles. In this case,a picture is not worth a thousand words. A bird in the hand is. Go look and see before you buy. You'll be much happier.

Originally Posted By: yotekiller47Old Turtle gave you some good advice. I'd say save some more money and get a Nightforce. Before you buy anything go and look through them and the different reticles. In this case,a picture is not worth a thousand words. A bird in the hand is. Go look and see before you buy. You'll be much happier.

An XTR II gives up very little if anything to the NXS for typical shooters...except when it comes to price. I have shot with both quite a bit and would never recommend the NXS and certainly not the SHV over the XTR, especially when one is being budget minded. If you're jumping out of helicopters or rolling down a mountain, then the NXS may make a bit more sense...but the XTR II is a rugged SOB as well,

My point is to go look and see what you can physically handle and see. I made the mistake of this is what everyone else is shooting and when I bought it I didn't like it. I wish I would have bought the one I liked and saved some money. Looking online just don't cut it when you are shelling out that kind of money. I have several Burris and like them. Never have looked through an XTR II but I have the Nightforce. And no,I am not a Nightforce fanboy. I like some of my Leupolds better than the Nightforce. If your turning turrets I feel Nightforce is hard to beat.JMO. By the way,I can tear up an iron anvil. Just ask anyone who's been around me. Or you could call it bad luck or just plain stupid.

I can certainly understand the in person necessity. Especially when spending in excess of $1K. The OP certainly needs to go and get some practical experience before spending the big bucks.

Looking to do the same with my 260, and I keep leaning towards the SHV 5-20. Looks like the reticle is pretty thin. I think it's halk=f of a Vortex PST.

Night force wouldn't even be on the list unless you plan on going to battle with the rifle. Lot better options for clarity of glass. Sightron, Burris and even Nikons upper end scopes. I have all three and granted, they aren't as tough but my battle days are over. I want clear glass and the three I mentioned, IMO,offer that.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760

An XTR II gives up very little if anything to the NXS for typical shooters...except when it comes to price. I have shot with both quite a bit and would never recommend the NXS and certainly not the SHV over the XTR, especially when one is being budget minded. If you're jumping out of helicopters or rolling down a mountain, then the NXS may make a bit more sense...but the XTR II is a rugged SOB as well,

+1 on Burris XTR II. I have a 4-20 on my 300WSM and love it. Opted for the Mil Rad reticle. Very clear and the the large tube sucks in light.

I recently put on a 6x24x50 vortex viper on my kimber Adirondack in 6.5 creed...

I am very pleased.. this scope has capped turrets which I prefer for a hunting rifle. I figured if I have a long range opportunity I'll have the time to pop off the cap and dial accordingly.
Optic was very clear at full magnification. When shooting at a milk jug at 828 yards my point of aim was its blue cap...

And it's reasonably priced. I bought mine at my local cabelas and with a 90 day return policy I had nothing to lose in trying it out.. I'm keeping it..

Back