Morning Surprise!

Went out last night and had a big 'ol boar come out to our left; spotted it with the Leupold LTO Tracker but didn't get the 6.8 swinged around in time so didn't get a shot on it but did some armadillo patrol.

This morning went out to check cameras and fill feeders and ran into a group of them, hit 3 and only found 1 (brush is thick!) but at least it's a eater!

First hog kill with the 30 Remington AR and it even exited which you can see in the picture. While shooting deer with 30 RAR, I never had an exit.

This piggy went to the butcher!

Well done. Looks like your projectile traveled diagonally across it's body, and kept going. That's impressive performance on a tough hog. What type of projectile (make & weight) was that?

Originally Posted By: LeadPoisonTXWell done. Looks like your projectile traveled diagonally across it's body, and kept going. That's impressive performance on a tough hog. What type of projectile (make & weight) was that?

Yes sir, sure did. I was kind of shocked. This is my go-to gun during the day so I'll see what happens to the next hog. I've downed 4 Iowa deer with this gun and no exits.

I'm using Remington 150gr. SP core-lokt, they say muzzle velocity of 2575 feet per second and muzzle energy of 2208 feet pounds.

Originally Posted By: Niteyote1Nice!! I have a 6.8 as well, how does the 30 Remington compare to it?

Well, by comparison, I've had the 30 RAR A LOT longer than the 6.8 so I'm a little bias and if you are talking about overall in my opinion, like ballistics and performance; I've always enjoyed shooting the 30 RAR, it's a tack driver with factory ammo (did some reloading with it but haven't came up with the right recipe, yet) and it literally knocks the deer down (smacks them HARD, with a loud report). And these deer were all Iowa corn-fed deer, so big body deer. I also like that it is a 30 cal and I can find 30 cal projectiles anywhere and plenty of choices but brass is the bad thing about it, there really isn't any and I haven't seen any. Time will tell after I drop another hog with it to see if it will stay my day time go-to hog gun.

You gotta love a round that smacks them down hard! Had a big buck take me on a wild goose chase a couple of years ago, sounds like I need to look at the 30. Thanks!

Back