Rat shooting

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEWahoo
Yes night rat shootin is a blast and really keeps you sharp for other varminting,as you know you have to be fast on the target and shot but gentle on the trigger.
I use Night Vision from my coyote hunting set up mounted on my Maruader rifle or Marauder pistol (carbine).. Great post! keep the pictures coming!!
Check out this old post.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...6338&page=1

What kind of accuracy do you get out of a marauder rifle?

Good times. Every spring when we open up the cabin for the summer my father and I are as excited as 5 year olds on christmas eve. Usually the pack rats sneak into the tool shed and storage room over the fall and winter. After a long day of spring cleaning, nothing is quite as fun as sitting on the porch, sipping some scotch, and getting the first kills of the year.

That looks like a blast. We used to run around a friends barn with bb pistols and frog gigs trying to kill em when i was very young. Your method seems much more effective than ours was. haha

Cold, rainy, dreary day here. A good day to catch up on Predatormaster posts and share a few pics.

I have updated my rat shooting gear. I bought a few cheap chinese led lights that let me more easily add diffusers over the lens. These rats can at times be quite skittish and the stronger the beam the quicker they scurry off. A layer or two of scotch tape gives me enough light to see them but not instantly run them off. I still have to be quick to get a clean head or neck shot.

I still use this single-cock Beeman R9. It handles so gracefully and never runs out of air.
D2B0FB80-BF6D-4DEE-8AD8-8C33381003A3-1554-000001122ECDBC2B.jpg

I bought a Hammerli 850 a few months ago. This is a .22 cal 8-shot clip-fed repeater designed to use C02 cartridges but this one has been modified to use high pressure air like a standard PCP. One fill from my air tank is enough for an evening of shooting. The compensator on the end really quiets it down so the cows/calves don't get so jumpy.
35C86D76-C559-44E9-8497-908F231CE495-22425-0000198D85DC0C40.jpg

Both guns seem equally effective
thumbup.gif
. A typical trip will net about 30 to 40 dead squeeks. I find it odd how some seem smart/elusive and others seem oblivious to the light.
88FEABAE-1713-4088-9403-14FE4DE742BE-3506-0000037BF18BD3B8.jpg

Man that looks like fun. I need to do some air gun shopping.

When I was a kid, a long time ago, my grand dad would pay me a dime a piece for rats I shot in his barn. I used my M67 Winchester w/ bird shot. On a good day I could make a dollar, and that was big money then. Haha

I have rats in my garage. Would a .177 pellet gun shooting 7.9 grain pellets be adequate in YHO? Supposedly the gun shoots at 800 fps.

These are Black Rats (Ratus Ratus); not the slightly bigger Norwegians.

Originally Posted By: df1995dfI have rats in my garage. Would a .177 pellet gun shooting 7.9 grain pellets be adequate in YHO? Supposedly the gun shoots at 800 fps.

These are Black Rats (Ratus Ratus); not the slightly bigger Norwegians.

That will work on those bad boys.

Greg

Great stuff here! Here's a story some might find interesting. I told my Filipina wife years ago that if we were to spend any time at all in the PI, there needs to be something there for me to shoot and hunt. Found it in airgunning rats (daga) and ibon (birds) several years ago. Located this old put together 22 air pistol from a guy in Mindanao, and he sold it to me CHEAP. I brought a little 2X Swift scope over and the tiniest light I could find on the Web, and mounted it on a Weaver base the guy's gunsmith steel-epoxied on the barrel. Couldn't believe it, but the sucker shot great. My Manila Jeepney driver nephew Noly came down to our house in Bicol Region then, as he was recovering from a mini-stroke. I quickly saw he was a naturally talented shooter. I just knew I had something to work with here, as at the time I was freelancing for Varmint Hunter Magazine and I was dying to write a piece for them about PI rat shooting. Thought this was a great subject. Sure enough when we went to the local basura (dump) recycling shed where all the daga hang out at night, we hit into them some and had a blast several nights Noly was there. I wanted to get a cover photo for TVHM of a rat, but never got the opportunity before the magazine went belly up. Man what a missed opportunity that would have been I think. At 1st I didn't like this gun but it sorta' grew on me and now it's my favorite of all I own even stateside--

4 shots under the "C" at 17 yds.--

A little smaller scale but when Im bored I like to tape a small flashlight to my spring powered airsoft rifle and go out after field mice! Its fun to shoot them on the run..

Back