How can I remove rust from a matte stainless barrel?

wildcats137

Hey all,

I went 'yote hunting last weekend and I left my rifle in the trunk for a couple days afterwards before getting it put back in the safe. When I took it out the other day I realized, to my horror, that the outside of the barrel accumulated some rust. The barrel is matte stainless. Any tips on removing the rust without hurting the finish on the barrel too much?

P.S. Never will I ever leave a gun in my trunk again
frown.gif

Try some Hoppe's bore cleaner on a patch or cloth. Or maybe just some good oil if the rust is only a few days old, it should wipe off.

CLP and 0000 steel wool. Light, circular motions and work it out. It will also work the oil deep into the steel surface and help prevent any more corrosion.

Originally Posted By: zr600Are you sure it's stainless? Stainless shouldn't rust unless it's been contaminated with carbon.

Stainless can rust and once it starts to develop the rust advances quicker than it does on non stainless steel.

The NRA did tests a few years ago. They used two handguns. The stainless gun resisted rust longer but once it developed the stainless gun became unusable much faster that the carbon steel gun.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot100% pure stainless steel will not rust. rifle and pistol barrels and parts are far from 100% ss.

Magnets won't stick to pure stainless, try one on your stainless barrel!!

Originally Posted By: zr600Are you sure it's stainless? Stainless shouldn't rust unless it's been contaminated with carbon.
Stainless barrels are some form of 400 series stainless and they do have carbon and they will rust. I sand blasted
mine to correct the rust I had gotten.

Back