Field report: Suppressor covers

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
I decided to protect my suppressor while I am out in the field. Yes, the mirage effect can be annoying while at the range but my main reason for the cover is the toll that the desert takes on the finish of my equipment.

After a lot of research I opted to try the Bowers Group silicone suppressor cover. $40 from Amazon, available in black and coyote. I went with coyote. My first impression was that the Bowers Group cover was very difficult to install. After a lot of sweat, blood and tears the cover was installed. It looked and felt good. Great heat protection after firing. The cover is a bit shiny for my taste, but I took some of that off with a paint dauber. The downside; The cover is not easily removed for cleaning or service of the suppressor. While trying to remove it, my cover tore. $40 down the drain. So if you are not going to need to remove your cover, the Bowers Group cover worked fine.

Griptastic by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Next up, the Rifles Only Gear, M.A.D. suppressor cover. Twice the price of the Bowers Group cover, $89.95 from Amazon. Available in a lot more colors. The inner sleeve is heat resistant to 3000+ degrees but the outer cover is not rated for full auto or sustained rates of fire. Rifles Only has made a new version called the H.A.D which is full auto rated. Of course the M.A.D was tested doing a 5 mag, full auto dump when it failed. The last time I checked I will not be hosing down a herd of coyotes so I see no problem running the M.A.D. on my LR-308. The M.A.D. cover is easy to install and remove. It is also easy to modify for colors with some jute fiber and burlap. You can also upgrade to the H.A.D. cover for only $35 since the M.A.D. and H.A.D. use the same internal protective shield.
31gWkvkjFML by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Thanks for the review, I was wondering about the silicon ones. Sounds like a good one to stay away from.

My pleasure. It really worked well for heat shimmer but almost seemed like it glued itself to the suppressor. It would be good if you didn't need to remove it. Bummed me out when it ripped.

Originally Posted By: RayDogI like being able to pull the cover off the can onto the barrel to let can cool when needed.

I think I will like that more as well

Back