A better look for the waterbug airboat

jetman

I figured I would at least set the bug motor on the cat hulls. My buddy is ill and we could not get started actually mounting it.
101_2591_zpsnlu9o4ac.jpg

101_2593_zpsb5ldkzve.jpg

101_2595_zpskkhjicqi.jpg

Any ideas how to route the exhaust so that it faces rearward but out of the way of the prop?
Cool project. Wish I had that kind of patience and determination.

I just plan to use flex exhaust tubing and bend it under the motor then in to some kind of collector and muffler. On a 1600cc VW motor I need 39" of 1 1/2 Tube to get optimum exhaust pressure.

Humm
I've been slacking with the up dates .
I have elevators on and working and I'm working on the rudder system . I'll try to get more current pictures up.

I needed some U joints for the steering on the waterbug.

There like $30 each on the computer, I need three.

They turn slow and only one revolution so I did not need precision just flex to change sides of the boat with My tubing. They fit over the 1" tubing I'm using.

Handle bars will turn a drum with cables to the tubing shaft.

The shaft will run the length of the boat to the back.

Then a drum back there too with cables to the steering arms on the rudders .

Closer by the day...

uu_joints.jpg

uuu_joint.jpg

Looks like I need to do more updates sorry.
Well
At long last I have steering for the waterbug.
Still needs adjusting and cable tightening.
I'll get some pics and maybe a Video up this week.

Working on the accelerator. On a VW motor single carburetor the butterfly leavers need about 3" of movement.
I'm trying to use the thumb leaver off the snowmobile or maybe the brake lever but they only give me about an inch
of movement. I have tried serval "Bell crank" set ups with out any luck.
Finally, I think I'm on the right track. It's a leaver and pully set up to Pull from the back of the butterfly linkage.
If I use the long part of the leaver to actuate the butterfly and WAY down near the bottom for the thumb leaver cable.
I Think I will need to use the hand brake leaver to get enough leverage to open it with only one hand.
Now I have to think of a way to mount the cable to the motor somehow/ somewhere .
It's been a few weeks of trial and error . I need to get past this and start the trailer.

Back