Best call/setup/hunting tactic in general for the eastern hunter

Originally Posted By: BirdsandspursI have an asat leafy suit I figured I'd give a try this year. When pups start yippin and howling how close are they usually to their den. Say in July how far will they follow their patent around from the den?

While in Alberta I was staying right outside of Airdrie. We traveled about 3hrs east and huntered in a river valley for about 3 hunts till I killed my Mulie then cam back and hunted elk for the next 8 days. I seen so many coyotes just out roaming around not a care in the world. It was so odd to me caus at home here you ever see that nor hear them breing as vocal here as was in Canada and Missouri too. Heck hear them howl about anytime of day. Also got to make it to banff for a evening. Very awesome. If didn't have a farm here I would move to Alberta no questions asked.

If you can get them to howl what's your next move. Try to close distance and set up on them I suppose?

d841b5aa78c9731130ca495a82880f75.jpg

Nice buck! Sounds like you were just a little south of me. Lots of ground to hunt and lots of coyotes.

By July the pups are hunting around here. 1/2 grown and looking for trouble.
I always setup close to the truck...within 200 yards usually. I howl nearly every stand and sometimes I get a vocal response and sometimes not.Doesn't mean they will or won't come in. I've had them come full out running from two miles away only to die tired. I've also had them take 30 minutes to come a few hundred yards.
If I get a vocal reply, then I engage in a 'conversation' sometimes it's an "I'm in trouble here, screaming session" with a distress sound or it may be a "That's what yo Momma say last night" trash talking challenge call. I only remember once that I tried to close the gap. It worked ok, but I prefer to have them come to me instead of sit watching for me to come to them.

Here's some pics of some terrain I call. The second pic is a small patch of grass at a fence junction. I'm wearing a ghillie.

The last pic shows how to set up in the open and watch the treeline for a target. The pic was taken from 100 yards away.

We are not allowed to hunt at night , so I can't help you there.

MerlinDec82010048.jpg
[/URL][/img]

P1010004.jpg
[/URL][/img]

705ee05a.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Last edited:
I have been using an LWTS clip on and a high end thermal scanner. Borrowed gear until I get my personal stuff in sept. All our fox are killed with lights

Originally Posted By: RedfrogOriginally Posted By: BirdsandspursI have an asat leafy suit I figured I'd give a try this year. When pups start yippin and howling how close are they usually to their den. Say in July how far will they follow their patent around from the den?

While in Alberta I was staying right outside of Airdrie. We traveled about 3hrs east and huntered in a river valley for about 3 hunts till I killed my Mulie then cam back and hunted elk for the next 8 days. I seen so many coyotes just out roaming around not a care in the world. It was so odd to me caus at home here you ever see that nor hear them breing as vocal here as was in Canada and Missouri too. Heck hear them howl about anytime of day. Also got to make it to banff for a evening. Very awesome. If didn't have a farm here I would move to Alberta no questions asked.

If you can get them to howl what's your next move. Try to close distance and set up on them I suppose?

d841b5aa78c9731130ca495a82880f75.jpg

Nice buck! Sounds like you were just a little south of me. Lots of ground to hunt and lots of coyotes.

By July the pups are hunting around here. 1/2 grown and looking for trouble.
I always setup close to the truck...within 200 yards usually. I howl nearly every stand and sometimes I get a vocal response and sometimes not.Doesn't mean they will or won't come in. I've had them come full out running from two miles away only to die tired. I've also had them take 30 minutes to come a few hundred yards.
If I get a vocal reply, then I engage in a 'conversation' sometimes it's an "I'm in trouble here, screaming session" with a distress sound or it may be a "That's what yo Momma say last night" trash talking challenge call. I only remember once that I tried to close the gap. It worked ok, but I prefer to have them come to me instead of sit watching for me to come to them.

Here's some pics of some terrain I call. The second pic is a small patch of grass at a fence junction. I'm wearing a ghillie.

The last pic shows how to set up in the open and watch the treeline for a target. The pic was taken from 100 yards away.

We are not allowed to hunt at night , so I can't help you there.

MerlinDec82010048.jpg
[/URL][/img]

P1010004.jpg
[/URL][/img]

705ee05a.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Man that's wide open. Yep exactly how I remember Canada andeimds me
Somewhat of Missouri. That ghillie suit looks like a clump of grass.

Originally Posted By: reaper4I have been using an LWTS clip on and a high end thermal scanner. Borrowed gear until I get my personal stuff in sept. All our fox are killed with lights

Is the clip on NV suitable enough or does it leave a lot to be desired

It's a clip on thermal. I done use nv. It's amazing. A lot of guys prefer nv for ID but I have no had a problem yet. I have been using them for a few years

Back