Spooked yotes

Iamjuggernaut

Hi guys I'm new to the site and fairly new to predator hunting I have a question on a stand I had recently. My buddy and I spooked a coyote out from under a tree while walking to the first stand of the day. My thought was to leave since we scared that one off and I didn't want to educate it. Has any one here ever successfully called something back in after spooking it

I hate when that happens. Not real likely to be able to call him back, but hes prolly not the only coyote around. If I didnt have many other spots to try, and hadnt walked a long ways to get there I would prolly leave and try that spot another day.

I would not worry about him spooking other coyotes unless he starts barking threats... getting cattle running or deer snorting can alert coyotes in the area something is not right. .. yeah sometimes I would skip that stand and other times I may not.. never set in stone..

I would just wait a few minutes and call there as I have before.
The next dog may come from a complete different direction and circle downwind to come in.
I recently shot a bunch(17) at the same spot and just kept calling til none would come back. #13 or #14 came in to 123 yds when he dropped dead.

Originally Posted By: IamjuggernautWould it be safe to say the the group of trees I saw it run out of may be a spot where it's been bedding down

It is safe to say that, no harm can come from those words. I would not go back there with the expectation of coyotes being bedded there. I would go back with an assumption they very likely “could” be bedded there if the conditions are right. If so I would be more stealthy on my approach. I do all my calling during daylight hours so I am always aware that I am eventually going to bump bedded coyotes getting in to make a stand. I want to minimize the number I bump that run off and then hear me calling. I want to get into their territory and make it to a place they feel safe enough to come in, but also want my presence in their area minimal.

Coyotes pick places to bed down based on conditions, a spot could have the right conditions one day, but not the next. I see them bedded out in open wheat fields during winter with only ankle high wheat, but they can see danger approach from a good distance in any direction. On windy days they are going to lay low in wind breaks. On cold days they are going to want to lay down in the sun’s rays, on hot they are going to seek shade just like domestic dogs. However, unlike most domestic dogs, they have to “sleep with one eye open” our pets don’t have to worry about being shot at, trapped, poisoned, or chased with hounds around every corner.

If I was a coyote I would want to bed down in areas away from human activity like roads or houses and free of fresh human scent. I would prefer a slightly elevated area in a wind break to watch my downwind side for approaching danger and to just simply observe. Ideally it would not be far from water, especially this time of year with warmer temperatures and pups. The terrain and cover changes a lot in my area; corn, wheat and other crops provide seasonal cover in areas I would not normally feel safe in. With that being said; I am coyote, you never know what I am gonna do or where I am gonna be. I march to the beat of my own drum and sum times think I have multiple personalities…

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762I would not worry about him spooking other coyotes unless he starts barking threats... getting cattle running or deer snorting can alert coyotes in the area something is not right. .. yeah sometimes I would skip that stand and other times I may not.. never set in stone..

Like Infidel says, nothing is set in stone. I have had them spook out, let the area quiet down and thrown out a call to see them pop out of where they ducked in. I have even been able to call back coyotes that my partners have shot at. Other times, I have seen them light out and not stop till they hit the next county.

Can't hurt to try.

Calling them back after bumping hasn't worked for me but if you can get around them if the terrain permits I have called them that way. More or less get in front of where they are going. In the sandhills that tactic is possible sometimes.

I've bumped coyotes and called some back and others never stopped.

This is exactly why I try to stress, get in and get down quickly and quietly. If he isn't hunting then he is lying down somewhere just watching for any movement. Getting in and getting down quickly may spark his curiosity more than his flight trigger.
I'll try a howl, challenge or pup distress to get them to stop.

So many times I see guys bow a stand before they even start by going out and picking a spot to set up , but instead of sitting down they have a consult complete with the arm pointing and turning around with a rifle on their shoulder to flash in the sun.

To me this is a flat out rookie move even if the guys have hunted for years.

Originally Posted By: IamjuggernautI didn't think of that thanks for that tip 204 AR

A lot of times they seem to move in certain directions, such as counter clockwise around a mountain, or into the wind/etc. If you can figure out their direction of travel you can get into a bit more action.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: IamjuggernautI didn't think of that thanks for that tip 204 AR

A lot of times they seem to move in certain directions, such as counter clockwise around a mountain, or into the wind/etc. If you can figure out their direction of travel you can get into a bit more action.

I thought that when it took off it was going to try to get down window us

Originally Posted By: RedfrogI've bumped coyotes and called some back and others never stopped.

This is exactly why I try to stress, get in and get down quickly and quietly. If he isn't hunting then he is lying down somewhere just watching for any movement. Getting in and getting down quickly may spark his curiosity more than his flight trigger.
I'll try a howl, challenge or pup distress to get them to stop.

So many times I see guys bow a stand before they even start by going out and picking a spot to set up , but instead of sitting down they have a consult complete with the arm pointing and turning around with a rifle on their shoulder to flash in the sun.

To me this is a flat out rookie move even if the guys have hunted for years.

This is all good info for me too thank you Redfrog like I said I'm new to this we have only called a handful In so we are always trying to learn how we are messing our stands up so we can fix them

Most times here, coyotes are like Grizzly bears.... the only thing predictable about them is their unpredictability......

We just have too much cover here for the most part. Its not like out west. Unless you are on bait or at least a bait kind of situation (calf lot etc) ya just never know. You can make some good guesses but until the shot is fired and the dog is down, well, its up to the dog......

Originally Posted By: huntschoolMost times here, coyotes are like Grizzly bears.... the only thing predictable about them is their unpredictability......

We just have too much cover here for the most part. Its not like out west. Unless you are on bait or at least a bait kind of situation (calf lot etc) ya just never know. You can make some good guesses but until the shot is fired and the dog is down, well, its up to the dog......

That's what makes this such a fun sport!!! Just when you think you have it dialed in, they throw a curve ball at you.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: huntschoolMost times here, coyotes are like Grizzly bears.... the only thing predictable about them is their unpredictability......

That's what makes this such a fun sport!!! Just when you think you have it dialed in, they throw a curve ball at you.

Ahaha it doesn't make learning the sport any easier though

I built a dynamite decoy for my Jack in the Box. It is mostly all I use. Three times I have walked out to set the decoy down and a coyote ran from behind me and jumped on the decoy before I got back to the hide. Those coyotes had to know I was there and why the didn't spook I'll never know. One I was able to get my rifle up and get him with a quick shot. Another time one was on the decoy biting it while I was standing looking at him. When I turned to get my rifle he was gone. The other came from behind me hit the decoy as I was settling down behind a log. I did start the call and the decoy and in just a minute or so I saw a coyote looking at me just beyond where the one slipped off. I got him at about 75 yards. I think this is one I did call back. This happened in open country by the way.
Unpredictable is certainly the word.

Back