Crap. Just weighed my rig

Westex91

Just weighed my shorty 6.5x47. The sap sucker weighs just over 13lbs with bipod and suppressor! Question is do I start working out or start swapping components? Lol

What does your rig weigh?

My coyote rig right now weighs 13 pounds. Thats with a 26" sendero barrel, bipod, scope, etc. My next rifle is going to have a 24" carbon barrel to shave some weight off.

My Benelli shotgun weighs 7 lbs. on the button, my M7 Predator .243 weighs 7.5lbs. and my Rock River AR weighs 8.25 pounds. I walk miles cross country over steep, rocky, big timber terrain and I'm not carrying more weight than I need.

My 18" AR-15 is right at 12 pounds. My bolt guns are around 15 pounds except my 338LM which is close to 20 pounds, and yes I hunt with all of them.

.22-250 about 7.25 lbs with a 3-15 scope. Maybe 40 shots down the tube and have killed 17 coyotes out to 355 yds plus hit a 12" target at 600 yds. target.
.300 WM about 8.5 lbs with 3.5-10 scope have killed countless elk, deer, coyotes, grouse. Last sighted in over a dozen years ago.
Sold the heavy stuff.

I've culled all my heavy barreled rifles over the last few years.
Got it down to five bolt action sporters that probably average right at 7.5 #'s.

Start working out, my 24" bull barrel lost a lot of weight when I joined a gym.

Working out sucks to start with but once you get into a groove it's not something you regret.

I'm at 7lbs scoped. I find that anything past 7.5 lbs becomes tiring to lug all day. Its not as big a deal hunting coyote, because I tend to just walk a few hundred yards and sit down. I take every gun I own out hunting jack rabbits, or maybe rock chucks in the high mountains. This is when a heavy gun gets annoying.

Before weighing my rifle yesterday I would have bet everything I own that my rig weighed 10lbs or less. Even my buddy was shocked. I can probably contribute this to it being a well balanced rifle. It is neither nose or tail heavy. I'll be moving this scope to my precision rifle and look into a dedicated 223 suppressor. Other than that I believe I'll lay off the Allsups burritos next winter! Here's what I have

Bighorn tl3
16" 6.5x47L Bartlein 3b
Vortex AMG
Manners Eh1a Swamp Camo
SiCo Omega
Harris bipod
Coyotelight for Night calling

I'll be switching to a fast twist 22cal next season. Caliber is classified.

Thanks for the responses. I enjoy seeing how others skin a cat.

Originally Posted By: CZ527Hey I'm headed to the gym right now want me to come get you??

Only if it's chest day! Oh wait, everyday is chest day right? Since yours will be so light you can just carry mine. I'll get the foxpro and decoy

Last edited:
Just weighed mine I definitely thought it was heavier but 18" bull barrel comes in a little over 10 Lbs and I usually carry a shotgun to so another 7 lbs

I used to use an 11 pound fat barrelled calling rifle, then I got old. I now used a 7 pound rifle when I go calling. I don't know how much my 870 weighs. I wouldn't want to shoot 3" mags out of a light shotgun.

I have carried my 700 22-250 26" heavy varmint all over colorado. Up 2000 vertical and down, never really cared how much it weighed. I only care about a rifle being light if I am carrying a bunch of other gear, like if I am packing in for 4 or 5 days for a mountain goat or bighorn sheep hunt.

At 59yo, I went everywhere walking with my 13.7# rig. I never got tired or thought it as too heavy. Now don't ask my grandson, he has another opinion, he did the carrying.

Jim D

Back