New Coyote Gun

Bobcat34

Have a few questions regarding a gun build that I'm planning on doing. I have a new Remington 700 action but have had a terrible time deciding the caliber I want to shoot. Gun will be used primarily for coyote hunting. I'm starting to lean towards .243 WIN but have considered .243 ackley as well. What would you guys recommend? I'm open to suggestions of other calibers as well. Also, what twist rate do you like with the particular caliber and what barrel length would you recommend for that caliber while hunting suppressed?

Thanks
Bobcat

Originally Posted By: Bobcat34Have a few questions regarding a gun build that I'm planning on doing. I have a new Remington 700 action but have had a terrible time deciding the caliber I want to shoot. Gun will be used primarily for coyote hunting. I'm starting to lean towards .243 WIN but have considered .243 ackley as well. What would you guys recommend? I'm open to suggestions of other calibers as well. Also, what twist rate do you like with the particular caliber and what barrel length would you recommend for that caliber while hunting suppressed?

Thanks
Bobcat

I'd use a little smaller cartridge. I had a custom 243 once (in fact is in my safe right now because my friend I sold it to forgot it in my truck.) It kills coyotes extra dead, but it burns a lot of extra powder doing it.

I would think that a 6x47 Lapua is ideal for what you're looking for. I'd go with a 20" barrel. That's what I did. Might as well make it an 8 twist. I'd shoot 70 Nosler on coyotes and the 105 hybrid on steel and paper.

If you mean more than enough velocity, killer brass, attractiveness and benchrest precision then yea, lol. I'm kinda vain about cartridges, I like them to have some eye appeal. I don't know why.

As an afterthought on my 6.5 build, I bought a second barrel in 6mm. No frills or anything, just for coyotes. The 6x47 was the whole reason why.

Before going to 243 for a dedicated coyote rifle, you might consider 6MM Remington. You get more case capacity, which translates into more velocity, and you will still be in a short action with the same bolt face. The longer necks make reloading and resizing a breeze. Talk to your gunsmith about twist rate to match the bullets you want to shoot. Brass is plentiful too. It will use most all of the same powders as 243.

After many years and several calibers, my hunting partner and I have both settled on custom made Remington 700s in 6mm Remington for dedicated coyote rifles. I am currently shooting 70 grain Bergers and he is shooting 75 grain V-Max. If you are going to go under 70 grains, you might as well build a 22-250 or 22-250AI. Going heavier, there is not much sense going over 75-80 grains for coyotes. Also keep in mind the 70-80 grain bullets have a higher BC and buck the wind a little better.

One last thought. If you go with 243 AI or 22-250 AI, give a lot of thought to your barrel twist rate. I have owned both calibers in fast twist barrels and was disappointed in barrel life and finicky loads. I also found some 22-250AI jacketed bullets blew up on me before reaching the target. There is lots of good info on this site about both AI calibers. It will pay to do your research. I am currently waiting on my gunsmith for a 22-250 AI 12 twist build.

Originally Posted By: MongoMikeBefore going to 243 for a dedicated coyote rifle, you might consider 6MM Remington. You get more case capacity, which translates into more velocity, and you will still be in a short action with the same bolt face. The longer necks make reloading and resizing a breeze. Talk to your gunsmith about twist rate to match the bullets you want to shoot. Brass is plentiful too. It will use most all of the same powders as 243.

After many years and several calibers, my hunting partner and I have both settled on custom made Remington 700s in 6mm Remington for dedicated coyote rifles. I am currently shooting 70 grain Bergers and he is shooting 75 grain V-Max. If you are going to go under 70 grains, you might as well build a 22-250 or 22-250AI. Going heavier, there is not much sense going over 75-80 grains for coyotes. Also keep in mind the 70-80 grain bullets have a higher BC and buck the wind a little better.

One last thought. If you go with 243 AI or 22-250 AI, give a lot of thought to your barrel twist rate. I have owned both calibers in fast twist barrels and was disappointed in barrel life and finicky loads. I also found some 22-250AI jacketed bullets blew up on me before reaching the target. There is lots of good info on this site about both AI calibers. It will pay to do your research. I am currently waiting on my gunsmith for a 22-250 AI 12 twist build.

6mm Remington is great.... but did you really just say brass is plentiful?

I have a new coyote gun being built and should be done this week. I went with the 243 AI.

REM action trued
23" xcaliber barrel 1/9 twst
Magpul hunter stock
Vortex scope
75gr V-max over H4350@3350fps

Bobby

I'm completely sold on the 6x68 for coyotes. BHW barrel is super accurate usually under 1/2, IF you don't mind a wildcat. It is really easy to make. roughly 1/3 less powder and 200-300 less fps, less barrel wear. 243 is kinda overkill. Mine is on a Savage action but it will shoot 1/2 at 100 all day long with 55's, 70's and 1 hole with 85BT. My farthest shot so far is 285 yards and drt.

2nd choice would be 22-250

Last edited:
The 6MM is a really good one. I'm all in for the 6 MM Here is my Custom Sako 75 in 6MM Remington Muller Barrel McMillan stock Jard trigger. Nice thing about it is the clip is longer than the mag box on a 700 Rem so long OAL is no problem. Here is a coyote that took a 60gr Sierra HP.

image_zpssu8mcz9u.jpeg

MasterBlaster

My vote is for the 243 Win. 22-24" barrel with a 1 in 9.25" twist. Just got back from Wyoming and South Dakota. Although i brought a 223, 22-250, and 243, I hunted my 243 almost exclusively. Conditions were tough and the snow was deep so the shots were running longer. Closest was 240 yards and the longest was 286 yards. Never missed a dog and the 243 puts them down like they have been struck by lightning. I am shooting handloads that are a 70 NBT on top of 40.5 grains of Varget. This load produces 3350 fps out of my 22" barrel. I have shot yotes from 60-286 yards and many time don't even get an exit. The worst exit so far was about the size of a 50 cent piece on a broadside shot through the ribs. There are a lot of very cool and interesting rounds out there but the plain 'ol 243 Win will never fail you.

Compared to about 2 years ago, 6mm brass is available. Plentiful might not be accurate. My local gun shop has both Hornady and Winchester. The local Academy store and Midway have Hornady too. One box of 50 should last a very long time.

Last edited:
I too like the .243 AI. Better speeds than the standard .243, better case life and you can always use factory loads in a pinch.

As a factory round I like the 6mm Remington better than the .243 Win. But when you got the .243 AI you have 6mm speeds (or a bit better) and easier to find brass and the aforementioned superior case life. Get one.

I've been shooting a 6x47 for a while now and if u want speed the 6x47 is your friend. I'm running a 20" barrel and shootings 69gr bullet at just over 3600fps. And that is with 39.5 gr of varget. I also shoot the 105 amax out of it as well and those are moving just over 3000 fps with 39.7gr of h4350. It is a very efficient round. The down fall is the expensive brass but it is the best brass u can buy. I also have a 6 creed and it's fast becoming my favorite just for the cheaper brass expense. I run 80gr Bergers out of it at 3550fps with 46 gr of re17 and I also shoot the 105amax out of it with 42 gr of h4350 at 3050fps that is a 24" barrel.

the barrel is most important to me; either a hart or Krieger or equivalent. my farthest shots have been with a 12 twist hart and 70 grain ballistic tips. out my 12 twist .243. the trend now is for faster twist and heavier bullets.

Months later and I still haven't decided. I'm leaning towards 6.5 cm or 6x47 Lapua. I'm wanting a good 1000+ yard gun to have fun with at the range but one that doesn't completely destroy a nice fur.

I went back and forth for 2 years on which caliber would be the best but in the end I just stuck with 5.56 since I already had a bunch of ammo for my AR pistol and my hunting area doesn't allow for very long distance shots....there is some great hunting ammo on the market in .223 and in my case I think I'll be fine with it. I have the 30.06 and the 30/30 if I feel I need a .30 cal

Last edited:
Back