Anyone shootin tss for predators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobTSS shot is really impressive when it is reloaded in the smaller gauges for turkeys and waterfowl.

Goose loads
28 ga, 3/4 oz TSS #7 shot at 1300 fps gets 2.50" of gel penetration at 67.6 yards with 137 pellets per shell
12 ga, 1-1/4 oz of steel BBB at 1500 fps gets 2.50" of gel penetration at 46.6 yards with 76 pellets per shell

Duck loads
410, 1/2 oz of #9 TSS shot at 1250 fps gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 66.5 yards with 178 pellets per shell
12 ga, 1-1/4 oz of steel #2 shot at 1500 fps gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 47.7 yards with 154 pellets per shell

The below link with the penetration test results in it is what really opened my eyes about TSS shot. Seeing that TSS #9 shot out penetrated copper coated lead #4 shot blew me away.
http://www.gobblernation.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1653

Realizing I can carry a 20 or even a 410 and do as much work on a turkey at 40 is what intitally got me into tss. The penetration at distance is what's awesome

I'm sorry guys I misread his messages. He has killed deer with 2's at 80 yards but was saying 4's and 5's would be good for predators. I'm sorry for the misinterpretation on my part

I've read this thread with great interest. I don't know anything about the shot, so I didn't comment.

I do have a question. I pay about $1.15 a round for my #4 buck load, and I have not had a coyote escape yet.
I don't push it, running shots to 40 and standing shots to 50.

Is it possible that this stuff is 6-8 times as effective so as to justify the cost?

Originally Posted By: CZ527I've read this thread with great interest. I don't know anything about the shot, so I didn't comment.

I do have a question. I pay about $1.15 a round for my #4 buck load, and I have not had a coyote escape yet.
I don't push it, running shots to 40 and standing shots to 50.

Is it possible that this stuff is 6-8 times as effective so as to justify the cost?

No TSS is not 6 to 8 times more effective for hunting coyotes.

But TSS shot may very well be two times better or more for some shot sizes on coyotes and especially on birds.

I am not saying to shoot at coyotes or birds twice as far away as you would with steel or lead shot. I am saying the TSS shot is two times or more, more efficient.

I found out in a hurry when I first started shooting coyotes with lead shot that lead #2 shot did not work very good at all on coyotes unless the coyotes were facing me at about 35 yards and less.

So there is no way I would hunt coyotes with lead #4 shot. TSS #4 shot is a completely different story.

The below data is from KPY Shotshell ballistic program.

Lead #4 shot at 1300 fps gets 3.50" of gel penetration at 10.9 yards.
TSS #4 shot at 1300 fps gets 3.50" of gel penetration at 86.1 yards with 124 pellets in a 1-1/2 oz load.

If your goal is to shoot coyotes at 50 to 60 yards away, a load with 124 pellets in it has a much better chance of having a dense pattern than a load with 42 to 50 pellets in it.

Lead #9 shot at 1300 fps gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 14.8 yards.
TSS #9 shot at 1300 fps gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 68.5 yards.

For shooting turkeys and waterfowl with a 410, 28 ga or 20 ga shotguns TSS shot will make these smaller gauges very deadly especially compared to steel shot.

TSS reloads cost about 3 times to 4 times more than lead buckshot factory loads do. They are about the same cost of 3" Hevi-Shot Goose loads and Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote loads are.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobI have reloaded some TSS #4 shot and some TSS #1 shot for coyotes. I have not shot any of the #1 shot yet.

I have killed 4 or 5 coyotes with 1-1/2 oz of TSS #4 shot.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2806818

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2779420

I have also shot TSS #7-1/2, #8 and #8-1/2 shot at ducks with 1 oz loads in my 12 ga and it blows me away how good it works. We also shot some Snow Geese this past goose season with TSS #6 shot and it was devastating on Snow Geese.

You can buy HW13 BB shot from Bucks Run in 10 lb bags for right at $1.50 per oz. The TSS shot I have been buying is right at $2.75 per oz so 1-1/2 oz TSS coyotes loads would be right at $4.12 per shell just for the shot.

HW13 shot 1-1/2 oz = $2.25 per shell
TSS shot 1-1/2 oz = $4.12 per shell

This below data is from my KPY Shotshell Ballistic program. All of the loads below are 1-1/2 oz loads at 1300 fps.

Coyote loads

Lead BB shot, 77 pellets per shell gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 46.1 yards.

HW13 BB shot, 70 pellets per shell gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 62.4 yards.

TSS #4 shot, 124 pellets per shell gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 78.9 yards.

TSS #2 shot, 81 pellets per shell gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 115 yards.

If you already have some 3" hulls you can reload 1-1/2 oz 3" TSS loads for about the same amount of money the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T shot and Federal Heavyweight Coyote BB loads are selling for right now.

3" 1-1/2 oz Dead Coyote T shot loads 50 pellets per shell.
3" 1-1/2 oz Federal Heavyweight BB loads 62 pellets per shell
3" 1-1/2 oz TSS #2 shot, 81 pellets per shell
3" 1-1/2 oz TSS #4 shot, 124 pellets per shell

I really like the 15g/cc Federal Heavyweight #2 shot I have reloaded for coyotes. I think if I was going to buy some 18g/cc TSS shot just for coyotes I would go with TSS #2 shot if it is available, if not I would go with TSS #4 shot.

Turkey loads

Lead #5 shot, 259 pellets per shell gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 55.6 yards.

TSS #9 shot, 536 pellets per shell gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 68.5 yards.

I have never hunted Turkeys but if I did I would be using TSS #8-1/2 or #9 shot since you don't shoot lots of shells at Turkeys.

Can I ask where you bought the tss?

I'm going to try some 1-5/8 loads of #2 and #4. With 88 and 135 pellets each. Between my schedule and the weather it will be another month before I test patterns and penetration though.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: BirdsandspursHere is you guys some looking material. Redfrog shut this 1 down too please. But want to show some reading material from derbyacresbob and another couple from other forums.

Post by derbyacresbob
http://forum.gofoxpro.com/fp_forums/showthread.php?t=10933

Another with derbyacresbob
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2978123

Lastly from a turkey forum
http://www.gobblernation.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12663

Back to stir more chit, huh?

Man asked to have this thread shut down also. Only one stirring "CHIT" is you. They offered a superior shot for shotgunners. You want it or you don't. No need to bad mouth something you know nothing about.

Man asked to have thread shut down AFTER he stirred some chit. You see, the way to not stir it is to ask for the thread to be locked BEFORE you add more crap as a final shot. Further more, by his own admission he has no personal experience using the shot on coyotes either. So why is he making a case for it? Certainly shouldn't be and by your statement about experience you should agree with that. All he has is a ridiculous statement that he wants to pretend is a fact that "#9 TSS anchors coyotes at 50 yards all day long" based on a single hearsay comment on the Internet from an unproven source. Your crew made claims of 80+ yard performance and then promptly dodged every question about 80 yard patterns and actual hands on experience. Yeah, we know how reliable that sort of Internet posting is. They (and possibly you also) have a business interest that you all failed to disclose and obviously came here with the intent to pimp the product. You want to sell here on PM then contact the Admin and become a forum sponsor. If you had followed the testing method DAA outlined in the second closed thread and brought forth some favorable results and had been honest in your interest you all would have had a much different experience here. What the members of PM did experience from your crew was deceit, dodging, deflecting and when faced with critical peer review questions a very quick juvenile defense of resorting to insults. The approach here was shameful and the credibility in this area is zero. Remember, you might fool some of the fans but you aren't going to fool the real players. And you didn't...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back