Tried Something, and it Worked

sscoyote

This past mule deer season I was stalking with little success as has been so often the case over the years. The last afternoon, a small herd passed by me 70 yds. away, in fact actually partially spooked by me, and were milling down below me maybe 100 yds. away. So I thought why not try something as a last ditch effort. So I nocked and arrow and ran into the middle of them. They all dispersed, but a doe stopped about 30 yds. away and I shot it. Just thought I'd let you know that extreme tactics really do work sometimes.

Never would have dreamed that would work on deer; in fact, when the red drum (redfish) are schooling in our bay, we used to pull up and stop upwind of them and drift into casting range and sack 'em up. One day I was headed in on a dead calm day and the reds were schooling in deep water. Tried above tactic several times but they would usually swim off before we could get into range. Tried idling the boat into range (don't use a trolling motor) and they would swim away from the noise.

Finally in desperation, I got up and ran into the middle of the school @ top speed (about 40 +mph), shut down and cast immediately. Instead of spooking them like I figured, it worked like a charm.

Ya never know until you give it a try. Congratulations on thinking outside the box.

Regards,
hm

Great story HM! I may very well be trying it again this year, and in fact this experience actually got me back into big game hunting with my recurve.

Back