Called a New Spot: Pack Hung Up in the Woods

Flesh Eater

So, this past Saturday night was almost perfect. Almost no wind, warm, clear skies, and a full moon. I was feeling pretty good about making a stand.

The property has a huge spoil pile in the middle of a field. I climbed up on top, laid down, and started calling around 8:20pm. In the far distance came so much barking and yipping that it sounded like a cacophony of distorted fuzz. I waited, periodically howling. The barks and yips kept getting closer, and closer, and closer. After 2 1/2 hours they were in the woods ahead of me. Barking and yipping. I kept waiting, trying to taunt them out with short howls. Nothing. They wouldn't break cover and come out of the woods into the field.

Finally I gave up. It was almost 11pm, and laying down was far too comfortable (I was up at 3:30 that morning to hunt the am), and I was struggling to stay awake. Even as I was unloading my rifle and shotgun at the truck (roughly 300 yards away) I could still hear them barking and yipping. They may have came out later, but I couldn't outlast them.

Any thoughts on what I could've done differently? My only thought is the full moon kept them in cover. I think if it was a cloudy, dark night, they'd of broke out in a dead run across that field, especially with how stirred up they were over something infringing in their territory.

The landowner said he's had them in his yard, which was behind me, so I know I was in their territory. Just no idea how to make them throw caution to the wind and come on out for a lead salad.

I prefer darker nights to hunt and as stated that could be a factor to why they didn't break cover.

Maybe their boundary? There are a many reasons why they sometimes do not respond and we as hunters can only sometimes guess.

Are you familiar with what a warning howl/bark sounds like?

Originally Posted By: Night EyesI prefer darker nights to hunt and as stated that could be a factor to why they didn't break cover.

Maybe their boundary? There are a many reasons why they sometimes do not respond and we as hunters can only sometimes guess.

Are you familiar with what a warning howl/bark sounds like?

I believe I know what it sounds like, but they were barking and yipping even when they were (what seemed) miles away. When I first called it was a very faint barking and yipping. As I progressed with my calling they came right in, and it seemed the same. Almost like they were warning me (another coyote) to leave.

I'm almost certain I was within their territory. The farmer has seen them all over his property. I'll try it again once the moon recedes, and try to get a calm, cloudy night. See if my results are any better.

Feel free to give me a call if you like. I will be more than happy to discuss your set up and provide you with some tips.

Joe (814) 364-9660

You had them man ! Instead of going home so you could get back up extra early I would have stayed longer ! They were there when you were, that's 75% of the battle. That is exactly how I learned too, lol. As most of us have, logging in hundreds or thousands of hours.

Rock on, get them next time ................maybe !!!

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickYou had them man ! Instead of going home so you could get back up extra early I would have stayed longer ! They were there when you were, that's 75% of the battle. That is exactly how I learned too, lol. As most of us have, logging in hundreds or thousands of hours.

Rock on, get them next time ................maybe !!!

Ugh. I know! I should've stayed, but my eyes were getting heavy and I could feel myself getting to the point of drifting off. Next time I hit the spot, it won't be after waking up for an early am hunt!

I'm going to let them rest for a while, and not stir them up in the meantime. The landowner wants them all exterminated, but there are A LOT of them...it'll be a challenge for sure. Not to mention once his corn comes in the spot is done. I'll never see over the stalks.

After talking to Joe I reassessed the set up and what transpired. I thought I was in their territory, but I think they're using a creek as a territorial boundary, which the land owner's house (where he's seen them) and the field I was set up in are separated by the creek.

I spent some time on Google Earth and found an ideal location that places me right where they were. After contacting the land owner I discovered he also owns that field. Last night we went together and looked over the location. It's absolutely prime. The wind direction is perfect, I'm right where they were hung up, and the 60 acre field has houses on either side, which I'm hoping deters them from circling too far out. However, from the way they came into my call before, I have a good feeling they haven't been hunted much at all, if ever. If I'm lucky they'll break cover and come hauling butt across the field, right into rifle range.

Watching the weather, and hoping the foliage stays low enough for me to get out there! They're plowing the field in 2 weeks. I'd like to hit it before then.

I always say it is easier to call them in the woods than try and call them out of the woods, everybody and their brother takes a potshot at them when they tarry too long in the open. Find a place in the woods and call them, let them feel real secure all the way to their demise.

1.Find a nice bowl in the woods, set your call on the bottom or up the other side a little.

2.Find a hill over looking a field, set up the hill with the wind at your back and the caller at the edge of the field directly down wind of you about 40 yards. The coyotes will come from left or right along the edge of the field inside the woods or from behind you, no matter what direction they come from they won't get your wind until they get between you and the caller and they should be dead before that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSI always say it is easier to call them in the woods than try and call them out of the woods, everybody and their brother takes a potshot at them when they tarry too long in the open. Find a place in the woods and call them, let them feel real secure all the way to their demise.

1.Find a nice bowl in the woods, set your call on the bottom or up the other side a little.

2.Find a hill over looking a field, set up the hill with the wind at your back and the caller at the edge of the field directly down wind of you about 40 yards. The coyotes will come from left or right along the edge of the field inside the woods or from behind you, no matter what direction they come from they won't get your wind until they get between you and the caller and they should be dead before that.

I appreciate the advice, but I've given up hunting during the day. They're impossible to locate here, because they won't make a sound during the day, and all of the private land I'm hunting is mainly comprised of fields.

Night hunting in the woods is not possible here. You can't see more than five feet in front of you because the under brush reflects the light back to you. I talked with Joe from Night Eyes and he gave me some sound advice, most of which I was doing, but it was good to hear a second opinion. The farmers are finding tracks in the snow, in their fields, so they're coming out. It's just a matter of right place, right time.

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterI appreciate the advice, but I've given up hunting during the day. They're impossible to locate here, because they won't make a sound during the day, and all of the private land I'm hunting is mainly comprised of fields.

from reading the previous posts in this thread it sounds like you do not need to locate. sounds like you know where they are hanging out. you should maybe try what aws told you. he has been playing with the coyotes for many years.

another thing. just because they wont or dont howl during the day so that you know exactly where they are does not mean there is no coyotes and you can not call them. if I only called places where i heard coyotes, i would not be calling very many places. in fact i very seldom bother to locate with vocals. if a spot looks like it should have coyotes, i call it. been working good for me for a long long time.

good luck.

2 Things #1 If I depended on locating coyotes by howling I would never kill one. Like Slicker said if it looks good I just call it, works for me. #2 Coyotes coming into an open field on their own is one thing, calling them into an open field, is an other thing. Coyotes around here love the woods, which puts them at ease when responding to a call. I would learn to kill them in the woods first. Then I would learn to lure them into the open. I don't waste my time on moon light nights. Just My Worthless Opinion.

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterOriginally Posted By: AWSI always say it is easier to call them in the woods than try and call them out of the woods, everybody and their brother takes a potshot at them when they tarry too long in the open. Find a place in the woods and call them, let them feel real secure all the way to their demise.

I appreciate the advice, but I've given up hunting during the day. They're impossible to locate here, because they won't make a sound during the day, and all of the private land I'm hunting is mainly comprised of fields.

Night hunting in the woods is not possible here. You can't see more than five feet in front of you because the under brush reflects the light back to you. I talked with Joe from Night Eyes and he gave me some sound advice, most of which I was doing, but it was good to hear a second opinion. The farmers are finding tracks in the snow, in their fields, so they're coming out. It's just a matter of right place, right time.

Hunt them the right way during the day and you will kill coyotes. Quit thinking in absolute terms like "never" and "impossible". Learn the behavior of whatever it is that you're trying to call then exploit its weakness.

The fact I've never seen a coyote during the day is one reason, another is a wife and two kids. My day time hunting is VERY limited. So, I'm strictly night hunting. As said above, Joe gave me good advice. He hunts PA, hunts at night, and does well. No offense to anyone anywhere else, but all areas aren't the same.

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterThe fact I've never seen a coyote during the day is one reason, another is a wife and two kids. My day time hunting is VERY limited. So, I'm strictly night hunting. As said above, Joe gave me good advice. He hunts PA, hunts at night, and does well. No offense to anyone anywhere else, but all areas aren't the same. Good Luck

Back