Any Florida coyote hunters here

cww

I'm gonna start hunting coyotes on our lease and wondered what kind of calls and tactics you use down here in the south. Thanks, Craig

Well since we can't use any electronic devices, get a few hand calls. Suggust rabbit distress, bird distress, squeaker, and a howler. Learn to use them. Florida has a lot more coyotes than many realize. No season (year round) plus bobcats. It is better if you have a partner and split the calling and shooting (one caller - one shooter). This takes some of the waryness off the shooter. Good luck and have fun.

Pop

Quote:
Well since we can't use any electronic devices, Pop

Pop; You can use electronic calls for coyotes and bobcats in Florida. May I direct you to the Florida hunting regulations book. On page 10 under "Furbearer regulations", right hand column 2nd paragraph down says in part.
"Recorded game calls also may be used to take furbearers". Coyotes and Bobcats are considered furbearers. Coyotes have no closed season, Bobcats open season is from Dec 1st through March 1st. I have verified this with the local game warden. Unfortunately there is no open season on Foxes.

Best regards and good hunting.
OB

Thanks for the correction.
My mistake, and all this time I was doing it the hard way (LOL)

Pop

I have been hunting coyotes for years here in Fl. It is truly a great kept secret, the black coyotes are my favorite. I hunt three days a week, and the coyote population is strong. My main area is the Indian River county area, and the Ft. Drum area. The Bobcat hunting is good, and I also get other critters as well. I have been barking up a few huge gators as well.

Thanks guys, I'm here in Alachua county and theres seems to be a real good population of them. In the evening when I'm in my stand I'll hear several groups howling away.
How do ya'll hunt them, do you sit under a tree like turkey hunting and call them in, or use blinds? What about calling one in from a tree stand while deer hunting? I'm going out hunting this afternoon and thought I might try for a coyote instead of looking for a deer, any idea's for a last minute hunt?

Well, try doing what you feel will work for you. As you know Florida presents a different kind of dense cover that some of these boys don't see very often. Best advice I can give is to do what you you think will work best for your given situation. Any of the mentioned stands will work, I really like sitting under low lying cabbage palms, provides great cover and I can move almost any direction to make a shot. I love decoys, we need all the help we can get, and often enough it will bring them out in the open for a better shot selection.

Quote:
I have been hunting coyotes for years here in Fl. It is truly a great kept secret

It truly is! I started hunting coyotes in Fl. in 1982 and hunted them hard until I left in 2001, I wish we had the amount of coyotes here in North AL that we had in FL then.

I went back down to FL for a family reunion last summer and the coyotes seem to still be alive and well. Had planned to go there this winter and film but time will not permit it at this time.I have never hunted coyotes there with an E-caller always had to use hand calls.See that has changed now.

Never met a single coyote hunter when I lived there. I see there are many now.Nothing like seeing a coyote pop out around a palmetto bush at 10 yards in the swamps.There are a lot of cats there for sure in certain areas.

You guys save a few for me so when I make it back that way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Thanks guys, I'm here in Alachua county and theres seems to be a real good population of them. In the evening when I'm in my stand I'll hear several groups howling away.
How do ya'll hunt them, do you sit under a tree like turkey hunting and call them in, or use blinds? What about calling one in from a tree stand while deer hunting? I'm going out hunting this afternoon and thought I might try for a coyote instead of looking for a deer, any idea's for a last minute hunt?

cww, I'm new on this forum too.I live in Marion County 10 miles North of Ocala.I hunt coyotes here some but more on my deer lease in Quitman, Georgia.Hunting from an elevated deer stand works good for me as it gives you a good view of the coyote coming in.Something I've been doing lately when I'm deer hunting I'll bring a predator call and just before I get down from my deer hunt I'll call for 10 or 15 minutes to see if I can get me a coyote.

Hey Amigo, for a long time I have been waitng for someone to discover the secret of Florida coyotes. I thought I was the only one that knew what Florida coyote hunting was all about. I wish you had been down in the Indian River area, we would have had a ball.
I just got back in from the groves, where I called up a few, but had no luck tonight. I did get a good bobcat a couple of days ago, but the last two trips I have been shut out. Nothing like seeing a big black coyote pop out of the palmetto plants. Florida is for coyote hunters !

Well, went out yesterday evening and again this morning, didnt see anything but I attribute most of that to my calling, definatly needs some work. Will try again tomarrow. Do you guys use any scent cover?, I was sitting with my back against a tree with my shotgun hoping for a close shot in some pine rows and figured these things would probably sneak up behind me a wind me when the scent control dawned on me.
Looking forward to getting back at em....

This is a snow-bird recently set up at an RV campground near Chiefland, Florida and equipped for some coyote action on private lands. The state and federal regs are too restrictive, but with no closed season or bag limits on private lands, that seems the way to go.

I have a couple of 223 rifles and shotguns, an electronic caller with over 30 different calls (FX3 from Foxpro) with a remote control, 4X4 pickup, and ready to travel for some decent chance at a yote or two.

If you are interested in scouting for some deer leases we could tack onto the end of their season, give me a shout.

Red Moose

Does anyone live or hunt near Ruskin or Tampa. I was down there over thanksgiving and some of that area had me drooling. looks like great cat country.

North Florida here, just finished a dedicated AR hunting rifle and looking forward to getting it dialed in and taking care of the coyote issue that has arose since the death of my beloved Doberman.
Anyone in the area of North Florida? I am between Tallahassee and Lake City

Last edited:
Levy county here. Not far From Alachua Co. Close to Archer and Williston. Just moved. Anxious to start finding some new spots. Got to break out the calls and see how calling Florida coyotes compares to the ones in Tennessee. Got no buds here, would be nice to have one or two. I back up to some Goethe state land, but thinking there are regulations or minimal hunting. Have to learn all the laws down here.

I winter in Polk county, was hoping to find a partner to hunt coyotes with while were there, live in Winter Haven. Waiting on a new scope to put on the 17 hmr can only use rimfire or shotgun with no slugs or buckshot for night time hunting here.

Hey everyone,
I am new to PM and recently got into predator hunting last year. I'm in the Alachua area and was wondering if anyone wanted to do some coyote hunting. Im on my third year at UF but have a property a little north of Gainesville. So far Ive been able to call in cats but I cannot get coyotes to come in. I hear them all the time. I hunt pretty thick brush. Anyone got any tips

Welcome Brad. I'm a long ways from you, so can't offer much insight into FL calling. However, we have several members from down there and other places in the southeast, so hopefully they'll come along and offer a bit of guidance. Good luck!

Anyone in the Indian River County area? I've been trying to track down Cooper17HMR as it looks like he's around here based on his old posts, but no luck yet. We've got some groves around here that we've seen coyotes on cameras and I'd love to whack a few. I'm new to predator hunting, but would love to learn.

Back