Bargain Scanner

Smoke4871

I know this has been discussed, but I have my rifle set up and need a handheld scanner. While I would love me some thermal, it is just not in the fun budget now. It looks like the $500 to $600 thermal handhelds won't reach a hundred yards. The least expensive useful thermal I have seen discussed here is $1400.

So, until something better will fit in the budget, I'm looking at the Bushnell 4-40 monocular, which is a little over $200. The youtube videos I've seen make me think it might work out to a couple hundred yards.

Anybody using the Bushnell? Maybe suggest something else?

Smoke4871

I have wondered about the Bushnells too and almost purchased one. I ended up getting the Armasight Spark instead. It's a good monocular for the money though it does need an illuminator on dark nights. When there is ambient light such as full moon or partial moon, or light sky, the Spark works well enough to see if something is out there. With an illuminator it is a pretty decent unit, again, given the price point.

It would be nice to not need an illuminator, but a unit with that capability is expensive as you know, so a guy on a budget has to make do with less, but also wants something that works well enough. The Spark will fit that category and I assume the Bushnell will too.

The only issue I see with a digital like the Bushnell is that it will need an illuminator pretty much all the time except on the brightest nights, but the Spark will do quite well with good ambient light without an illuminator. The Spark works well in open fields with ambient light and somewhat in wooded areas but may need an illuminator to take care of shadows etc.

I use the ATN Binox for scanning and am happy with them they have a built in IR and I can see a coyote over 300 yards with them, the only draw back is you have to use CR123 battery's in them but they run quite awhile on them. I usually scan with them on 4 power and they have a pretty good field of view. My coyote hunting has really improved since I went to the ATN X sight and Binox, I took a friend that never got a coyote last night and we called in 6 coyotes and a fox and he killed a double on the coyotes.

if you search around you may still be able to bua Pulsar LD19A fer 1399.... I Picked mine up about 2 months ago for that price and have been THRILLED with it

FLIR TK sucks. Tried two of them. Hard on the eye strain.
Tried bushnell equinox too.

Go LD19 HD19 or go home. Anything else will leave you dissatisfied.

One difference is the 's' has an oled display I believe. Supposed to be better for very cold weather although I've never had an issue with 2 of the 'A' models.

OLED in the S model. It's a better image and will not freeze up in cold weather. OLED is preferable in pretty much all circumstances.

Leupold LTO Tracker, right around $600 and you can easily identify targets way over 100 yards. If smaller critters like 50 yards could be a raccoon, armadillo, or a piglet but least you know there is something to get your scope on it to really identify.

Originally Posted By: jim87formulaLeupold LTO Tracker, right around $600 and you can easily identify targets way over 100 yards. If smaller critters like 50 yards could be a raccoon, armadillo, or a piglet but least you know there is something to get your scope on it to really identify.

This hasn't been my experience with the LTO at all. It's hard for me to identify a human at 100 yards with the LTO. A coyote would be nearly impossible. Your experience may vary.

I too would be looking for a Pulsar LD19A.

Originally Posted By: NGI_TOMOriginally Posted By: jim87formulaLeupold LTO Tracker, right around $600 and you can easily identify targets way over 100 yards. If smaller critters like 50 yards could be a raccoon, armadillo, or a piglet but least you know there is something to get your scope on it to really identify.

This hasn't been my experience with the LTO at all. It's hard for me to identify a human at 100 yards with the LTO. A coyote would be nearly impossible. Your experience may vary.

I must have a good unit or great eyes then lol. But the point is that I can identify a heat signature and put the scope on it to verify.

So nobody is using a Bushnell Equinox. From looking at online videos, I had hoped that it would get me in the game. I understand that a thermal scanner would give way better performance.

So, I will start saving up the $ for a good thermal scanner.
From what I read here, the Pulsar Helion line is their newest and best. Since I'm not going to buy right now, a Helion or Trail might be in my future.

Thanks to all for responding with your experience. That is what I needed.
Smoke4871

Hello 06/ Can you please post a pic of your scanner with the IR?
Id like to see what it looks like. You can pm me if you prefer. Thanks

Back