Ir patrol 300w vs reap ir

ischunk

Ok I could use some advice from the community on this one. I am currently the owner of a IRD mark 3 60mm and a pvs 14. I am in the market for a monocular thermal device. I have sit narrowed down to two different options the ir patrol 300w or the reap-ir. I basicly was a ir device that I can scan a field with as the 60 mm is jist to much magnification and to heavy imo. I would also like the ir monocular to double as a scope that I could use when friends want to hunt with me and don't have toys of there own. I was thinking the reap ir would be he better deal with the ability to keep zero on multi rifles and also has multi different reticals. My only worry with the reap ir is the 12 degree FOV!! What do some of you guys think reap ir or the 300w patrol.

I use the M300W for scanning and I highly recommend it. The 22.5 degree FOV is great for covering a lot of ground without an excessive amount of head movement. The electronic zoom is very usable with the 12 micron core and allows for a closer look when needed. If you want to use it at longer ranges you can also add a clip on 2x (or 3x) zoom lens. ( $1100 and not usable for shooting) I use one occasionally when hunting large open fields. There is also an adjustable objective on the M300W.

The REAP-IR is a very nice unit also but you lose FOV. The REAP-IR set at native resolution is about equal in FOV to the M300W at 2x zoom. You will get better reticles and multiple reticle storage points as apposed to the single reticle choice of the M300W.

I would decide if the unit is going to be used mostly as a scanner get the M300W. If it will be used mostly as a scope get the REAP-IR.

Last edited:
It will be used mostly as a scanner when I hunt alone and as a scope when I'm out with friends. It's such a hard choice!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ischunkIt will be used mostly as a scanner when I hunt alone and as a scope when I'm out with friends.

Yea.....I got that from your original post. I guess the question to be answered is .......Do you mostly hunt alone or with friends?

I'm with Gman on this one, if it's going to be used for scanning 90% of the time, the Patrol is the way to go.

Patrol isn't all that great as a riflescope. It's ok on smaller calibers but without the stick lock and ability to save multiple zeros like the reap, it can be limiting. It's a fantastic scanner though.

The stick can move under recoil and change menus options and what not. It was addressed in the Reap but hasn't been in the patrol. That said if you think you'd rarely rifle mount it, then it's definitely good to go.

Adjustable focus on the patrol is one thing I wish the reap and the rest of the Trijicon thermals had. I love my reap but I'm not super crazy about the lack of manual focus.

Thanks Mdmorrow that was really useful information!!! With that being said I am thinking that the Reap would still make a decent hand held scanner and be a whole lot better rifle scope. before I upgraded my mark II 35 mm it still worked ok as a hand held scanner even with the 12 degree FOV.

Yessir, you're welcome. I'm real happy with the reap as a handheld. I actually took a section of rail and drilled a hole through it. Ran a split ring through there and attached to a binocular strap. Reap clips on there securely and is good around my neck. I sold my Zeus and I'm waiting on a new Pulsar XP50 trail for my riflescope. Picture quality not quite what the reap is but its dang good and the onboard recording is legit. Plus I use my handheld 10 fold what I do my scope so I'd rather scan with the cleaner unit anyway.

Originally Posted By: mdmorrowPatrol isn't all that great as a riflescope. It's ok on smaller calibers but without the stick lock and ability to save multiple zeros like the reap, it can be limiting. It's a fantastic scanner though.

I'm not sure what you are calling a "stick lock", but I assume you mean the DLOC mount bracket. If so, the DLOC mount that is used on the REAP-IR can be purchased separately and added to the M300. There is a feature in the software that allows the icons to be flipped 180 degrees in the M300.

https://www.ultimatenightvision.com/IR-Patrol-QD-Mount-p/dloc-ird.htm

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ischunkI guess my next question is how is the IR Patrol as a rifle sight?

The same as a Mark II 19mm scope with a single reticle choice and an adjustable objective.

Originally Posted By: ischunkThanks Mdmorrow that was really useful information!!! With that being said I am thinking that the Reap would still make a decent hand held scanner and be a whole lot better rifle scope. before I upgraded my mark II 35 mm it still worked ok as a hand held scanner even with the 12 degree FOV.

If you already knew the 12 degree FOV worked for you when scanning and you want full scope reticle functions it seems you knew the answer to your question before posting the thread ?

Last edited:
I knew which was I was leaning I just didn't know how well the ir patrol would work secondary as a scope. I knew there are many on this forum that have had experience with both. When I really think about it the thermal will function as a scanner 80% of the time and as a rifle scope 20% of the time more than likely.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gman757Originally Posted By: mdmorrowPatrol isn't all that great as a riflescope. It's ok on smaller calibers but without the stick lock and ability to save multiple zeros like the reap, it can be limiting. It's a fantastic scanner though.

I'm not sure what you are calling a "stick lock", but I assume you mean the DLOC mount bracket. If so, the DLOC mount that is used on the REAP-IR can be purchased separately and added to the M300. There is a feature in the software that allows the icons to be flipped 180 degrees in the M300.

https://www.ultimatenightvision.com/IR-Patrol-QD-Mount-p/dloc-ird.htm

No it's nothing to do with the DLOC. It's a feature in the software of the reap to require a center push on the stick to activate the menu. The patrols have a known problem of moving the stick under recoil and changing menu options. The patrols do not have this feature.

Originally Posted By: mdmorrowNo it's nothing to do with the DLOC. It's a feature in the software of the reap to require a center push on the stick to activate the menu. The patrols have a known problem of moving the stick under recoil and changing menu options. The patrols do not have this feature.

I have owned a REAP-IR and understand what you are talking about now.....the recoil activates the icons on the screen without the lockout.

I only use my M300W on my 300BLK for suppressed predator control close to farm houses so I have not had an issue with it. I guess I have never noticed it running subsonic ammo.

Last edited:
I doubt the subsonic 300 aac would be enough to activate it. My lightweight 6.8 with hot loads definitely does it on my reap if the lock isn't activated.

Originally Posted By: mdmorrowI doubt the subsonic 300 aac would be enough to activate it. My lightweight 6.8 with hot loads definitely does it on my reap if the lock isn't activated.

Yep.........This was my first hunt with the REAP-IR and I forgot to lock out the joystick. You can see the icons pop up on the screen from 6.8 recoil.

Last edited:
I have a FLIR LS64 for scanning. I want a REAP IR, but will probably go with the Pulsar XP50 since Pulsar seems to be the most stable provider with decent customer support. Please keep us posted when you get your XP50.

Back