Power of a Scope

I had a 10x target scope on my MS rifle and would regularly shot coyote sized Ram targets offhand at 500 meters.

My 12x never went over 300 yards on my target rifle.

We used receiver sights to shoot target to 600 meters.

So your question needs more refinement to give a better answer.

Things like the quality of the glass, reticle, turrets, size of the target, your ability to read wind, your shooting ability all effect how far you can shoot with a scope. Power is one of the least limiting factor.

A good 12x scope in the hands of a good shooter will be able to make hits at a much farther distance than a mediocre shoot with a cheap 24x or even 32x scope

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AnkenyI have shot p-dogs at 12X in heavy mirage conditions out to
600-700 yards.

What scope did you use? Thanks!

I had a Nikon M223 4-12x40 on my AR and shot 400yds with ease. With that being said, I made hits at 1,200yds on a 15x38" body shaped plate with my .308 when I attended GPS Defence Sniper School. 12 power will suit most needs for any reasonable shot on a coyote. Good luck!

Longest shot I've made with an AR with a m223 Nikon (like 1320 racing made same scope) was 428 yards. Two years ago.

I'm 6'5" so that was a pretty good sized coyote

nice shooting from all of you guys here, I am running a 1.5-5x40 and I have to get it dialed in yet but I laser bore sighted it at 30 yards yesterday.

Last edited:
About 325-350 if memory serves at what turned out to be an 80 lb sow in south Texas down a senderao (really, it was a calichie well road on that big ranch.....) .338 Win , 180 or 185 gr custom hand load, I really dont remember which...... out of a Ruger #1... dead right there..... I hate to admit it but we were playing around for distance.... I dont do that any more.

Now, as to the optics... it was a Nikon 4-16x40 I think..... pretty fair shot for me and great eating pig. I just dont shoot anything bigger then 100 lbs and prefer something between 70 and 90 lbs..... and not boars.....

Last edited:
I use 6-24x50 vortex on 243 kinda always set @ 12x dropped a double of coyotes this year, one @ 370 yards one at 400'yards he was moving but not running. Had a tad of luck .

Originally Posted By: hm1996That's some darn fine shooting, Jason.

Regards,
hm

Thank you sir. I have really come to like the Coyote Special reticle. Wasn't sure that I was going to like it when I started using them. Not a good reticle for punching paper, your groups are going to be a bit wide, but on a running target, they are awesome!

I don't know, but when I crank my 4-12 up to 12x at the PM Egg Shoot, those eggs still look awful small!
grin.gif

That is not fair elk are huge! I think a 6x works really good on all critters but coyotes get small so fast. Although skilled shooters kill them way out. I run on 10x all the time because that is what I am used to. I think it's what you practice with. And the terrain you live in. Both eyes open it's easier to locate your target.

Here, here on the both eyes open. That's how I was taught to shoot a scope way back in the late early 60's...... still works really well with today's optics.......

Last edited:
Back