Florida?

Brian Stewart

I'm headed do to Florida for 2 weeks in Jan and Feb on vacation. I'm looking for a place to hunt hogs some while there. I'm wanting my son who will be 7 to try to get a couple with his rifle I'll be bow hunting. I'm not looking for anyone's spots but wouldn't mind a good outfitter that doesn't charge an arm and a leg. Public Land would be an option too I just want to up my sons chances I'm not too worried about me. I'll be close to Panama City but that is still up in the air. We're looking at Clearwater as well.

Thanks but he's wanting to use his new gun. Plus hunting at night might be a little harder for him. Are there many hogs on the Jackson Guard area?

If you Google "Florida Hog Hunting" several pop up in the Clearwater area, central and south Florida. Honestly don't know anything about any of them, but a few receive fairly decent reviews, I want to say at least one down there guarantees meat hunts, which would guarantee the kid a shot. Might not be a monster but at that age, first hog hunt, most anything is going to be a trophy! Not sure what constitutes an arm and a leg, but there's a couple down there that aren't real outrageous. Depends upon what you're looking for. Likewise, if you truly want to get primitive, they'll let you take them with gun, bow, spear, bowie knife, even help you catch one and take it live if you want.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&a...a=0&tbm=lcl

Originally Posted By: Brian StewartThanks but he's wanting to use his new gun. Plus hunting at night might be a little harder for him. Are there many hogs on the Jackson Guard area?

Yes.... there are a LOT of hogs on the base property. Keep in mind it is close to 500K acres and very restricted with regard to zoning by firearm use and access. It is a very active area with daily military training including bomb testing etc. In addition to that you might have other hunters in the same area.

Hogs are mainly nocturnal and finding hogs on an area this large and then getting a shot opportunity day hunting would require more scouting time than you have.

I would find a guide as Rocky suggested that can guarantee you a kill. Before booking I would do some research and try to find some posted reviews from others that have used that guide service.

Gman is certainly right and he's somewhat of an expert hog hunter so I'd take his word for it.

Finding hogs anywhere but in places people have absolutely NO inclination to go during daylight hours happens about twice a year to me and I usually hunt over 80 days per year in hog infested areas.

If you really want your son to have a shot at a hog you'd better use an outfitter that offers a guarantee or get used to the idea of hunting at night or maybe both.

I don't mind an outfitter I just want to make sure that they are reputable. As far as hunting hogs I have almost zero experience. I've now hunted them once near Antioch but it was bow hunting only outfitter and had really awesome time. But I know with my son I want him to at least get a chance. Thanks for all the help.

Check out the pictures on their websites, Google them and look around on the internet. Ask for references. If they're a reputable outfitter they won't mind you asking.

Originally Posted By: Brian StewartAs far as hunting hogs I have almost zero experience.

Contrary to whatever LD Hunter says I am no expert but there are a few basics that work for me. I mainly hunt feeders for deer hunters that have hogs taking over their plots. I go in close with my portable feeder and cell camera and set up for them. Occasionally I kill some in daylight hours that are coming in early but they mostly come in during the night. If you can figure out which direction they are coming in from to the plot and set up on the DOWNWIND side of the entry direction and the plot you will kill hogs. If the wind is not in the right direction you might as well stay home. Night hunting will be your best bet by far to get a shot at a hog but night hunting is only allowed on private land in FL.

I sometimes hunt for free ranging hogs if I see hog sign in the area by using my electric vehicle and looking for them in the thermal. If there is a lot of activity in a certain area I will just set up there and take my chances. Most of the hogs I have killed in the day was by flushing them up in fields where they were bedded down. I had rather just pull them in to a plot rather than try to go into their bedding areas and scatter them.

Glen Guess is the resident expert on hog hunting and I see a lot of his vids are shot in daylight so maybe he can offer some good advice if you plan to go it alone on public land.

Other than that go with Rockys' advice and get a guide that will put you on some hogs.

Not trying to hijack the tread, but are there many guys from the panama city tallahassee area on here? I am completely new to predator hunting and am having a hard time finding people who do it around here.

Originally Posted By: Creel85Not trying to hijack the tread, but are there many guys from the panama city tallahassee area on here? I am completely new to predator hunting and am having a hard time finding people who do it around here.

I know this is a couple years old but I am just East of Tally and brand new to predator hunting, any help is appreciated!

Be sure to check the state hunting regs if coming from out of state...While hogs abound, I found out that hunting on public land is restricted to rim fire and shotgun...Private land is up to the land owner...

I have an ex neighbor that goes to a little spot behind a local hospital and can get one every weekend...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleBe sure to check the state hunting regs if coming from out of state...While hogs abound, I found out that hunting on public land is restricted to rim fire and shotgun...Private land is up to the land owner...

I have an ex neighbor that goes to a little spot behind a local hospital and can get one every weekend...

I have hunted in Florida for almost 40 years and never heard the part about rim fire and shotgun only. That might be true in a small game only area or on a special hunt, but it's always been that you can legally hunt hogs with any method (weapon) that's legal to use for any other game during that season and I suspect there have been no changes in that.

Any information on any kind of hunting is available from the FWC website.

www.myfwc.com

Hunting public lands in Florida can be a bit complicated but be aware that each wildlife management area has it's own set of rules and although many of the rules apply to most management areas it's always wise to carefully check out the WMA you intend to hunt on the FWC website.

Also be aware that trespassing with a firearm without written permission in Florida is a class 3 felony and that ain't no joke!

Your friend hunting behind the hospital might be in serious doo doo if he doesn't have written permission to hunt that land and discharging a firearm close to a dwelling or place of business is also a big no no here.

Just a head's up.

The nice part about private land hunting in Florida (assuming you have written permission) is that you can hunt hogs and coyotes 24/7 365 days a year. Watch out for city limits. Most cities prohibit it.

Read the regs carefully guys. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

$bob$

Back