AR15 performance barrels?

204 AR

I'm thinking of trying one of their Predator (Grendel based) caliber barrels in 22, 6mm, or 6.5mm (can't decide)

Just curious if anyone has any feedback on the accuracy their barrels typically produce. The price is right on them for sure.

I got a 16" 223 barrel and Im getting .25" groups with 69tmk and 25.3 of Varget. Had an earlier 6.5grendel barrel but it wouldn't extract factory ammo due to tight chamber so I sold it and got an Odin works 20" from Joebob's. It shoots .5 or better with 123 Amax and CFE.

I was hoping to hear some reviews on the 20" 22 Nosler he makes. I heard his 6mm Grendel shoots really well and wouldn't mind having one. I think either will do ya very well.

Originally Posted By: tj66Anyone know who he gets his barrels from? I've been checking them out for a while also.

No idea. It does seem he checks them out pretty well when he gets them in.

The tight Grendel barrels were another story. I don't think he specs that tight chamber anymore.

Originally Posted By: BMoe-RNI got a 16" 223 barrel and Im getting .25" groups with 69tmk and 25.3 of Varget. Had an earlier 6.5grendel barrel but it wouldn't extract factory ammo due to tight chamber so I sold it and got an Odin works 20" from Joebob's. It shoots .5 or better with 123 Amax and CFE.

I was hoping to hear some reviews on the 20" 22 Nosler he makes. I heard his 6mm Grendel shoots really well and wouldn't mind having one. I think either will do ya very well.

That's really good accuracy! My Stoner 22 N barrel is a laser, I had it out to 500 yds with 50 gr zmax and it really surprised me. Otherwise I was thinking of trying one of his. By the same token my 243 lbc barrel is getting some age but still shooting well and the bore still looks good but I love that 6mm diameter. I recently sold and traded my 6.5 rifles except the wifes Creedmoor and I have over 1k 123 amaxes so thinking of that too, but the Grendel really never did it for me. I don't really deer hunt very often and have plenty of rifles that will down deer.

Truth be told I don't have any real needs, just want a new project! I recently got a 243 wssm upper that I thought might keep me occupied for a while but I went with a known accuracy load and it shot great right off the bat so I called it good.

My 17/223 is toasted so when I run out of ammo for it I'll have an upper to use. And my heavy barreled 204 is super toasted so same situation there. I wish I could find a good deal on something along those lines.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI'm thinking of trying one of their Predator (Grendel based) caliber barrels in 22, 6mm, or 6.5mm (can't decide)

Just curious if anyone has any feedback on the accuracy their barrels typically produce. The price is right on them for sure.

I have 3 builds with ARP barrels..... 6.8 SPC, .223, and 6.5 Grendel. I am getting ready to build 2 more in 6.8 SPC for a friend. Mine are used for hog hunting mostly and some coyote hunting. All are good shooters but the Grendel build with the rifle length gas system and SLR Sentry 7 adjustable gas block is one sweet shooting AR.

This is the barrel I used:

http://ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/38016/41932

UmAQv9A.jpg

Last edited:
I've got two of his barrels. They shoot great and don't know that I've ever heard of anyone saying otherwise. Pretty sure he abandoned the 22 Nosler idea, but I believe he's coming up with his own twist on a 6x6.8. Don't take that last sentence as gospel because my memory sucks but I'm fairly certain that's what I've read.

Originally Posted By: SubpaRI've got two of his barrels. They shoot great and don't know that I've ever heard of anyone saying otherwise. Pretty sure he abandoned the 22 Nosler idea, but I believe he's coming up with his own twist on a 6x6.8. Don't take that last sentence as gospel because my memory sucks but I'm fairly certain that's what I've read.

I'm not sure if he's a believer in the 22 N but he has them in stock right now. He did have some 6 spc barrels that are sold out. I think the chamber is a little different than the BHW version but not sure how much.

I have a 20" 6.8 triad barrel and it shoots lights out. It will probably be my go to calling rig next year. I'm running 110 accubonds a hair over 2700 across my magnetospeed

First update. The barrel arrived today and by coincidence so did the .136 bolt from Underground Tactical. I had to make a spot for it so I wasted no time taking apart my tired 17-223 and installing the new barrel. First I did swab out the bore which is coated with some kind of grease. Bore scope showed a pretty smooth bore with few reamer marks.

The bolt is another story. It's oversized on the wear ring, .004" over what my other bolts are. It installed in the carrier with great difficulty, so I took it out and checked my other carriers. My old early 90's Colt with the cutaway bottom is the only one I tried that it would work in. It's nearly perfect fit in that. I took out the extractor and de-horned it and also swapped springs as the one it came with had no insert and it seemed weak. Also beveled the extractor to enhance feeding.

Back together I got it zeroed at 50 and went to 200. It's cold, windy and sprinkling so I'm shooting from the br window at my steel plate. After getting zeroed out there and adjusting the gas block I fired 3 rounds of my 55 gr load for the bhw 243 lbc. The splashes are touching. Two on top of each other and the third right there with them. Not bad in a wind. So I grabbed 3 of my 87 vmax load. Those three are on top of the 55's. Some time I will measure the impacts but I'm not walking down there in the weather. It looks like they will all be within 1.5" or so. Pretty good start I'd say!

About a week. He does have a note on the website that they will be gone from the 2nd to 9th of May so there will be a delay now for a bit.

I cleaned it again and it cleaned really easily. Checked the distance to lands and it's very very close to my lbc chamber. So very happy with the barrel.

The bolt, otoh, might have to go back. I hate doing that but looking at it closer the web around the case head is noticeably thicker on one side than the other. Measures about 10 thou off. And it just doesn't cycle nice. It sticks when fully compressed. Funny because the .125 depth bolt I got from UT a couple weeks ago was a beautiful piece of work and this one's nothing like it really.

I got a replacement bolt from UT today, it's just like the first one. Actually it's a slightly better fit, but still not good. Very difficult to cycle, it sticks when fully closed. The bolt sticks in the carrier when fully compressed. And the bolt face isn't concentric. One side the wall is thicker than the other. That can't be good for accuracy or bolt life. Very depressing to have a new build and have one component screw it all up.

I said screw it and ordered a Young bolt, the new heavy duty Grendel bolt. I emailed UT and told them they could figure out how to make it right but this bolt isn't worth the postage back again and I definitely don't want another from them.

Back