Night hunting/west Tennessee.

Nick Eason

I know it's a big no no, but my dad and his neighbor have had 5 calves killed over the past 2 months. I've hunted these dogs hard the past few weeks and they are not moving until night. Was wondering what the law is as far as trying to keep cattle from being slaughtered! There is a big pack of them I know, but like I said I can't get to them or get them to come to me unless it's dark. Last week with the full moon I could see their silhouettes, but didn't want to risk shooting a farm dog or local dog.

Nick, Why don't you call TWRA and tell them about loosing the calves. My friend has been loosing calves too. Ask them if there is some way to get a permit or some way to stop them. Wish TN. would let us hunt at night,sure would make the coyotes live harder and I could kill more of them.

If there is loss of livestock I'd be willing to bet you could get a go ahead nod from your local game warden. You can hunt coyotes at night here in Missouri, just can't use a light. Which is completely stupid. I'd be willing to bet that if a Missouri landowner could prove he'd just lost five calves to coyotes (which seems a really high number btw) the landowner would be allowed to use a light at night. I know one of the local conservation agents I've discussed this with in the past has a Foxpro and night vision rig to assist landowners with just such a situation. Your best bet (like most of the questions in this forum) is to have a discussion about this with your local game warden.

GC, here in backwards azz TN we can't even use night vision to hunt with. They say they want the coyotes killed but make it real difficult to kill them. I could do real well night hunting them. Your right about discussing the problem with the local warden. They will generally tell you to take care of it or offer some assistance. If I were the landowner I would do whatever it takes to solve the problem.

Try getting out there right before the sun comes up. Set up before the sun rises and start calling right when you can see. I've called a lot of pressured dogs like this with great success. Good luck!

Back