Throttle cable broke

dan158

After I took the throttle housing apart and pulled out the cable I found out that the return cable was also rusted thru and also was broke. I just replaced the throttle and not the return cable. Has anyone else done this without a concern of throttle sticking?? Dan

Return cable? Sounds like a harley! If it is rusted, but free, it can be removed fron the throttle housing and lubed. Corrosion X will work. Hold it up and lube it slowly until the lube drips from inside the cable cover. I also like the teflon based super lube. Work the cable until it slides smoothly. If it isnt 100 percent free it will screw you at some point.

Re-read your post. Yes you need to replace it. Harley throttles work on a push pull system.

Last edited:
replace the entire cable assembly. if one cable is rusted the other is also.

they put the 2 way cables systems on for a good reason. if you ever have a full open stuck throttle, you will never want another. lol

Had a clutch cable break on my FXRS, had to drive 18 miles home through traffic in a drizzle, did a little bit of fishtailing trying to get going from a stop!

Back