Vortex gen 2 pst

Humpness

Do you think the glass will be much improved over previous line? I get good deals on vortex. I was thinking the 5-25 but I'm worried over 20x being decent. If I have to dial the zoom back I'm wondering iF I should get the ftp to still use reticle lines. Not a coyote gun but its going a sendero 300win. 1000 yard fun.

Last edited:
I have the Gen I 6-24 and its crystal clear on 24x. I dont see the new GEN II being worse than the GEN I's
I always go for the FFP especially with the C2 reticle having the open center when your close to max power. Im waiting on the 3-15 to come out for a 22-250 build.

One thing I noticed as well the eye relief is shorter was 4 down to 3.4. It's quite a bit heavier now. I guess it's going on a sendero so not a big deal. I wonder if a vx6 3-18 would be better. I think the 5-25 pst is around $800 and I thought I saw the leupold old gen for $1000 ish. I'm not used to using high power scopes. It's gonna be shooting elk some when I'm hunting the bigger country and then just having fun.

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanI have the Gen I 6-24 and its crystal clear on 24x.

Either your lucky or I'm "extra" unlucky... I had 3 PST's and they all had poor resolution in the top 1/3-1/4 of the power range. The PST's have some neat features but I hope the new glass is MUCH better than the old PST stuff...

Actually I have a GII Razor (4.7-27) that has been surprisingly impressive. I'm hoping the GII PST's borrowed more from it than just similar looking turrets!

Wow.. i do think your quite extra unlucky. Several of my buddys are using the same scope. Only issue we have had is 2 of the scopes new the ILL Reticle wouldnt work. They exchanged them out fast.
One of my buddys dropped his 300WM and it landed weird on the Parallax adjusment knob and broke it. Sent it in and 3 days later he had a new scope.
Its not a lot but the other 6 or 7 have been good ones.
Ive got buddies with Nightforce and Leupolds with issues so i just consider it luck of the draw.

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanWow.. i do think your quite extra unlucky. Several of my buddys are using the same scope. Only issue we have had is 2 of the scopes new the ILL Reticle wouldnt work. They exchanged them out fast.
One of my buddys dropped his 300WM and it landed weird on the Parallax adjusment knob and broke it. Sent it in and 3 days later he had a new scope.
It's not a lot but the other 6 or 7 have been good ones.
Ive got buddies with Nightforce and Leupolds with issues so i just consider it luck of the draw.

Yes, Vortex customer service is great. They actually replaced one of my PST's completely (even though technically nothing was really wrong with it) . Glass was better on the last, but not $700+ tear glass. Comparing side by side, a random of my VX3s was noticeably better. I've looked through several PST's and their not bad. Just side by side (at least to my eye) they don't compete with similar priced optical clarity (but those don't have the bells & whistles either; it's all give & take I guess).

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeGlass is a decent step up from what I saw, some are comparing it to gen 1 razor.

That sounds promising. I've got a buddy with one on order. I'm very interested to check his out.

who freaking cares how great the glass is its the tracking that make the difference. I can't believe so many worry about how great the glass is. give me bushnell banner glass with nightforce reliable tracking and I will buy the thing all day long.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettwho freaking cares how great the glass is its the tracking that make the difference. I can't believe so many worry about how great the glass is. give me bushnell banner glass with nightforce reliable tracking and I will buy the thing all day long.

That is simply silly, especially when one can get good glass and great tracking...but do as you will.

Once you use"good" glass for a while, you can't go back.

It would be like giving up a Harley to ride to work on a mopad. Even though the gear ratios where the same.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettwho freaking cares how great the glass is its the tracking that make the difference. I can't believe so many worry about how great the glass is. give me bushnell banner glass with nightforce reliable tracking and I will buy the thing all day long.

What good is tracking if you can't clearly make out what you're shooting at??? Not knocking vortex, as I am a fan but that comment makes no sense to me!!!

Originally Posted By: Jabey9210Originally Posted By: steve garrettwho freaking cares how great the glass is its the tracking that make the difference. I can't believe so many worry about how great the glass is. give me bushnell banner glass with nightforce reliable tracking and I will buy the thing all day long.

What good is tracking if you can't clearly make out what you're shooting at??? Not knocking vortex, as I am a fan but that comment makes no sense to me!!!

If you're shooting involves a lot of dialing for distance on a regular basis versus holdover shooting just using the reticle, anybody who truly does a lot of dialing will sacrifice a little optical quality for consistent and spot on tracking. If you're more of a holdover shooter and don't dial for shooting at distance then optical quality will likely be your top priority.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: steve garrettwho freaking cares how great the glass is its the tracking that make the difference. I can't believe so many worry about how great the glass is. give me bushnell banner glass with nightforce reliable tracking and I will buy the thing all day long.

That is simply silly, especially when one can get good glass and great tracking...but do as you will.

How is that silly, do you even adjust your knobs for dial up? Tracking is not a given, your probably the same guy telling people how great leupold tracks. Frankly I only know af a couple scopes under 1500 that can be trusted. Swfa, Ss series has a good reputation and a used nighforce. In the sub 1k range finding rock solid adjustment isn't easy. I don't see even cheap scopes have bad glass these days. Elite 3200 or Nikon buck master glass is all anyone really needs. It will get you beyond legal shooting light. Tracking however isn't so easy to come by. So yeah I still say who cares about the glass, it's the mechanicals that matter.

Back