classic vs thumbhole on varmint gun?

ohihunter2014

I'm getting ready to order a Boyd's this week for my axis heavy barrel which is primarily shot off a bench, truck, or prone/sitting at woodchucks. I'm kind of leaning towards the classic because I'm so used to shooting classic style stocks and seeing how Boyd's return policy is 12% I'm afraid of trying anything else. I was able to try a pro varmint and not a fan.

I'm thinking the thumbhole will be more suited for woodchuck hunting. anyone get a thumbhole and not like it and go back to a classic?

what do you prefer for my type of scenario?

I've gone to thumb Hole stocks on my heavy barrel varmint/target guns and like them a lot. My predator hunting guns get classic stocks, lighter, faster handling, easier to use for second shot and access to the safety .

I reworked my Boyd's thumbhole stock because I found I needed to rotate my wrist in an awkward way to hold the trigger comfortably. The way i have it now is more of a vertical grip which I like much more.

I personally prefer a thumbhole or vertical grip with a deep thumbwell. I think it's a more natural relaxed feeling in your hand, allowing for less movement of the trigger hand.

While deer and coyote hunting, many times I will shoot left handed and I am a right handed shooter.

coyotes come in from the wrong angle, you have a choice, stand up and shoot or shoot on your "off" shoulder. If you are sitting in a deer blind, you have no choice but to shoot on your "off" shoulder.

For the above reason, I do not like thumbhole stocks for this kind of hunting, but reserve them for table shooting or varmint shooting where you only use your dominant side...

I agree with ackleyman. Practice with your off hand(non dominant) for hunting situations.
Used to shoot trap with a buddy who, every so often, would shoot a round offhanded till he broke a 25(normally first time). He was shot through the lung on Tarawa after missing an offhanded shot at a jap. Didn't want that to happen again I guess.

Last edited:
Anyone else with info on this? Im afraid im going to order the thumbhole and hate it. I have one on my cva muzzleloader but its a more open and ambidextrous thumbhole. Its comfy and i was actually able to make a offhand 70yard shot on a deer with it and it held very steady. the boyds just seems like the thumb hole part would be a little uncomfortable but again ive never handled one.

Unless you have small hands they are very comfortable to shoot. For me the problem is that you have to keep the safety off because you can't reach it with your thumb or have to pull you thumb out of the hole to reach it and work the bolt.

I prefer a vertical grip from a bench or prone. But I also like large palm swells for the same.

Otherwise, I'd go with a thumbhole for a bench/chuck gun. But that is an opinion only.

I think Ackleyman nailed it. Classic for most types of hunting, and a thumb hole for a dedicated bench rifle. I love my thumb hole stock for shooting bench or prone, and find it comfortable off sticks as well. Sadly it gets used less than my "go to" rifle in a classic stock due to the lack of versatility. The classic does it all and is classic for good reason.

I have Blackhawk axiom stocks on my rem 700 varmint(fur) rifles. The Blackhawk is really ambidextrous and I always move safety to fire before establishing cheek weld and sight picture, then I shoot, otherwise no reason to be in shooting sequence.

well i was able to shoulder a boyds thumbhole on a savage over the weekend after visiting 4 stores and not a fan. It was comfy but checking it 3 times my thumb bone where it meets the hand kept getting pinched. i guess its the way my hands are. for some reason my whole thumb doesn't go through the hole.

Back