Quieting the slide of a Rem. 760?

Junebugg

I have a Remington 760 Gamemaster in 300 sav My Grandfather gave me and I haven't used it for some time because the slide/pump rattles and is a little noisey carrying in the woods.He passed this year and I would like to try and take a good buck with the rifle he "loaned" me 22 years ago to kill my first buck;and later ended up giving me when he lost interest in hunting.
Now the Question...Is it possible to quiet the action of this rifle?A fairly easy fix without involving a gun$mith or is there nothing that can be done?
Thanks for any replys,junebugg

Junebugg,

This may help. The sling screw/bolt attaches at the end of the forearm and as the sling swings this bolt loosens more often than tightens. After about 20 years of hunting with mine I had the same problem and tightening this helped half the problem. They are GREAT deer rifles. Sometimes a dab of heavy grease can deaden a rattle also.

Good luck this season.

I take a piece of 1/8" thick foam cut it to about an inch by a half inch and slide it between the barrel and the front of the pump. Keep a couple of spares in your pocket as well and slide another back into place after the shot. This takes care of all the noise. Mine is a 1983 that was bought new and probably has been shot a good thousand plus times so the pump can be rotated left to right a good quarter plus inch from wear. I had a new washer put in the pump but it didn't seem to help much. The foam works and keeps everything from moving. I came up with the foam idea a couple of years ago after a couple of deer heard my gun rattle. Try it, it works great.

If I'm not mistaken there is a O-ring in the forearm assembly that wears and needs replaced when the rattle developes.

the O ring and sling swivel is the main culprit replace the O ring tighten the front swivel when re assembling grease all moveing parts this should lessen the rattle as much as you can. This is a great woods rifle and the rattle really should not be an issue

Old thread I realize, but was searching and thought someone may come across searching too.

The forearm is attachment varies by year. Some people say just take the nut off or screw out. Doesn't work that way in all of them.

You need a good punch, 3/16, I believe. And you need to heat it a bit with torch to get the red locktite out. I drilled mine out to 1/4, just to get a bigger punch on it. Still I thin it was probably the torch that did it. Chunks of oring were wedged in there.

Replacing the o-ring 100% silenced it. But after 100 some shots, it came back. Thinking some lube may be needed. Especially when shooting it alot. Most people probably never fire it 100 times. I was using a hardware store oring. But I suspect it would have happened anyways. Maybe just need to replace yearly before hunting season.

I was searching tonight looking for lube ideas for the oring. I don't think it is really getting that dirty in there, but still nervous to use heavy lube. Maybe spray so many shots when shooting lots.

I did order a Remington Oring in my last Midway order, but not expecting much better. Was thinking of checking trap league forums, for 870 users.

There is a video about bedding forearm. In my gamemaster that was not needed. Its all about the oring.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog13 year old post, do you think he got it fixed yet?
Don't care. People search to find help with problems. People should always post the solution, if they find one.

I posted, to hopefully help someone.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog13 year old post, do you think he got it fixed yet?

Not sure, good thing there's not a math test involved though.

Uh oh....
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ZerkOld thread I realize, but was searching and thought someone may come across searching too.

T
Just wanted to help the next guy. I had trouble finding lots of info on 760.

The Remington pump guns are so good I'm not sure why they wasted time on the semi-auto. The pump gun series is reliable and surprisingly accurate. With a little trigger work the 760/7600/Model Six can be a real versatile workhorse rifle.

I don't like semi autos, because they are slightly less reliable, but they are the progression in firearms. We have always wanted a faster shooting gun.

Originally Posted By: longhair49709Originally Posted By: pyscodog13 year old post, do you think he got it fixed yet?

Didn't know this was 2020 already.

so he was off by 3 years. take him out back and shoot him. crazy dog. geesh

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: longhair49709Originally Posted By: pyscodog13 year old post, do you think he got it fixed yet?

Didn't know this was 2020 already.

so he was off by 3 years. take him out back and shoot him. crazy dog. geesh

Never was very good at that high math stuff. Guess I ran out of fingers.

Back