6.5 grendel

nastynatesfish

I'm new to the caliber. Built a 1-8tw 24" ar into it. I want to shoot the 130 eldm. I have h4895, varget and arcomp. I also picked up a pound of cfe223 to try in my 223 but see it'll shoot in the grendel also. I loaded some.with the h4895
And some with the arcomp. Not alot of load data that I can find for either. Bowler.has some.data for the h4895. I read alot about people going to the arcomp but no place.to find decent load info?? Anyone run it?

I perused the internet to find loading data. There's a forum specific to the Grendel that can lead you to some as well. Truth be known I also took a few pictures of loading data at Cabelas where they had books unwrapped. Call me cheap but I have dozens of loading books I've bought over the years so I've paid my dues.

Last edited:
I've got the hornady book. But it only shows h4895. I'd love to find some good data for the arcomp and 130s. Even just a solid start point.

Nate, go to 65Grendel.com . They have a lot of loading data there. You might also want to look at the 8202xbr powder. I emailed Hornady and they said to try CFE223 and 123 br SST for hunting and 123 ELD M for targets. Hornady gives data on their website also. It looks to me the Grendel does best with 120-123 gr bullets. I'm waiting on a BHW 20" from Ritch right now. Getting ready to order some more bullets. Also make sure you get the magazines for the Grendel so you can load it longer. You might want to pm GLShooter on here. He has a lot of experience with them and maybe he can direct you to the right place.

I've got mags. I have my barrel from sheepdog gunworks LLC. I got it from their manufacturer for a good price. I want to shot the 130s. I'm not real interested in the light bullets for it

I can't help you with the 130's. I run 31.5 gr of CFE 223 with a 123gr SST and 28.3gr of XBR8208 with 123gr SMK. Both are just shy of 2600 fps with the SMK bding a bit more accurate. Both loads are still easy MOA. The 8208 seems to have a pressure threshold that you reach abruptly so dial down and work up slowly on that one. All out of a 20" bbl as well.

just curious, how fast were you wanting to run those 130's?

I'm.not.lookomg for a.set number for velocity. I think I should get upper 2400 fairly easy. I loaded arcomp from.26gr -24.8 at 2.260" hopefully I can get them ran today

Load work for today. Shortened my goal from 2.290 to 2.260.
24.8-26gr charge. I'm gonna
Work up from 25.8-26.5
Work seating depth from 2.260 to 2.250
Then I'll try CCI primers. I'm running rem 7-1/2 now.

Originally Posted By: yotekiller47SB, Have you shot anything with the SST's? Animals? Right now I have Sierra 120 ProHunters and am getting ready to order the SST.

I kill a mule deer every year with mine. IMO the slower velocity the 6.5G produces is perfect for deer/antelope under 500 yards. I know a lot of people are unimpressed with performance they get out of the SST's, but it has always performed will for me.

Here is a thread about the SST's. I posted a couple pics in there of the performance on the last buck.

Got these two 2015 within minutes of each other. Pretty much the same results on the deer. I took the coyote walking away from me....shot it right in the starfish, a tiny exit between its front legs. It was a disaster on the inside to the point I couldn't even skin it.

Today's load work. Seems to prefer the higher charges. I had some.light ejector swipe on the 26.6 at 2.260 but none at the 2.270. Will work seating depth up and down .005 on the 26.6gr. Using arcomp. Then might swap to a CCI primers and see what transpires

Back